223 Lee Deluxe Rifle Die Set
SAFETY POWDER SCALE
LEE LOADMASTER PRECISION 5 HOLE TURRET

I have:
Dial calipers

I know I still need:
Case tumbler
Reloading Manual

So as you can see I will start out on .40 S&W and then get going on .223/5.56mm. The cost of ammo and the POTUS potential has me.

I have researched this a bunch. PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DIFFERENT PRESS.

Now to buy up some components.... :p

Thanks,

Kent

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you can figure out what shipping difference might be and it is not too late to cancel your order, Midway USA has the same setup for about $10 cheaper right now on clearance.

Other than that...from the sound of things, you just need:

1) Brass;
2) Boolits;
3) Primers;
4) Powder;
5) Powder Measure/Thrower (can't remember if the Lee comes with one or not);
6) Resizing lube kit (lube, pad, brushes, etc.);
7) Chamfer/Deburring Tool; and
8 ) Nuts/Bolts/Etc. for attaching it to a solid workbench.

I am sure I am forgetting something, but somebody will pick up on it. As for the reloading manual, I would recommend the Sierra Manual and Ballistics software combo. You can get either a print manual with the sofware, or everything on CD if that is your preference.

MidwayUSA - Sierra "Infinity Exterior Ballistic Software Version 6" CD-ROM and "5th Edition Manual" Reloading Manual

If you only want to get load data and info on the .223 and .40S&W, you can order the Loadbooks manuals like this one, which contain everything you could want to know about each mfg's bullets and load data for each of them.

MidwayUSA - Loadbooks USA "223 Remington" Reloading Manual

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) world of reloading. :)

Oh...you also will want to get a chronograph at some point...almost forgot!!

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
You should've bought a Dillon 550B, Lee is crap... atleast that's what many say.

J/K, I recently got a Loadmaster too and love it. I've got a Pro1000 and a Breech Lock Challenger and they all work well for me.

Happy reloading.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should've bought a Dillon 550B, Lee is crap... atleast that's what many say.

J/K, I recently got a Loadmaster too and love it. I've got a Pro1000 and a Breech Lock Challenger and they all work well for me.

Happy reloading.
Good to hear! ;)

I will be very happy to reload at about half the cost of new. I have a BUNCH of brass already. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Buy the powder and primers locally because there are BIG shipping fees on such things. Lee says to stay away from Federal primers and I've read Dillon does too...too touchy. Winchester is said to be good. Unique powder was what I was told to use as a beginner because it fills most of the case and makes double charges unlikely. Stay away from Bullseye because it does just the opposite. So I was warned by others.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Buy the powder and primers locally because there are BIG shipping fees on such things. Lee says to stay away from Federal primers and I've read Dillon does too...too touchy. Winchester is said to be good. Unique powder was what I was told to use as a beginner because it fills most of the case and makes double charges unlikely. Stay away from Bullseye because it does just the opposite. So I was warned by others.
Some pretty good advice.

I've used both Unique and Bullseye, and you're right--you could perhaps double-charge a bullseye cartridge (I'm loading 9mm). I'm loading them all before seating the bullet, and I inspect them before I do that.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well yes & no. If you buy enough, say ten units (1# or 1K=unit) from PowderValley, Powder Valley, Inc. the HM & shipping still pays off vs what you can probably do locally. At least here in Komifornia, everyone sells pwoder & primers @ retail + 8%st. You'll enjoy the cheaper shooting. I would not have gone Lee, but I won't tell you it's a bad way, good luck with it. As to powders, read your loading manual but don't get hung up on saving powder by loading uberfasts like Clays, TG or BE. Powder is the cheapest part of a pistol handload. Yes you save a whopping 0.005c per round but the chances of damaging your pistol or you is much higher, especially for a newb. Pressures are vert. w/ uberfast powders, any small error can result in serious pressure problems. Stay w/ med. burn rates like Unique, WSF, Universal, HS6, etc. Here is a burn rate chart: Have fun, be safe, good luck.
Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com

·
Registered
905 Posts
Some pretty good advice.

I've used both Unique and Bullseye, and you're right--you could perhaps double-charge a bullseye cartridge (I'm loading 9mm). I'm loading them all before seating the bullet, and I inspect them before I do that.
+1, I use Power Pistol for my 9mm, a little bit slower burning than Unique and 5.8 gr fills up about 3/4 of the case. My press is single stage, slower than a progressive, every stage is done manually, a bit tediuos but I aint in no hurry and I check everything.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! I'll take all I can get. :grin:

I will buy local for powder and primers. I might try to get out to a show or two and try to find a deal on some.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I shot my first reloads and all is well! :D

Thanks for the help!

I used Unique powder, cci primers, and 180 fmj's.
Loaded 6 grains and they seem just slightly lighter than blazer brass.

The fun has begun! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts