Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Fired 40 rounds through the irons this morning. Just what I had hoped for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Oh my! Congrats. Nice score! :p

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
very nice!! I plan to get two M1As eventually: one will be a synthetic stock 18" Scout Squad, the other will be a Loaded with wood stock and carbon steel! Gotta love M1As, great rifles! Enjoy it and be sure to provide a range report!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot 40 rounds yesterday. Irons only at this point. Ordered a Basset industries mount this morning and will start shopping for a scope. This is 75 yards. Lots of work to do! Haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice rifle. Something sexy about iron & wood!

Looks to be around a 2 1/2 MOA group, which isn't bad for irons (assuming ball ammo). With quality ammo you might shrink that down a bit. The irons on an M1/M1A are great and you can easily make man-sized hits to 600 with them, with a little practice.

While some folks prefer optics on their M1A, bear in mind you might need some kind of cheek/stock riser in order to get proper cheek weld. Those mount set the optics fairly high above the bore.

Keep at it!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do man. This thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I put a red dot on my SOCOM16 and in the end I took it off and put it on something else because the Iron sights to me were better. You don't have to worry about turning them on and or flipping up the covers battery going dead, ETC. I also never had a problem hitting my target wit the iron sights either. Decided to just keep it simple. I think if you were to put an optic on a .308 I would go with a bolt gun or an AR platform.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up ordering a Bassett Industries scope mount. Should be here Wednesday. Ladder testing has begun!

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
If you can pick up a surplus M-14 stock.
To me, it just feels more natural in your hands at the grip and comb.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my scope mount and it's quite good. Can only afford a Basspro Occulus currently so that will have to I do for a while. 3x9x40. Rained all day but got one break in the clouds and slipped out back. 3 rounds/2adjustments at 40 yards. Closest was the last shot. I have a 100 yard range 6 miles away so that's next.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Very nice...I like the open sights as well, got them on my AR. I seem to always look at one every time I'm at my LGS. Have you been lucky enough to be able to compare how it shoots to a Garand? Or maybe others can chime-in on this question.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No idea about the Garrand. The height of the mount lets me use the irons as well.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Very nice...I like the open sights as well, got them on my AR. I seem to always look at one every time I'm at my LGS. Have you been lucky enough to be able to compare how it shoots to a Garand? Or maybe others can chime-in on this question.

what do you mean shoot in comparison to a M1 Garand?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts