Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an airweight snubby j-frame internal hammer which i intend to carry in days that deep concealment is needed or when my clothes cannot permit me to properly conceal my pistol. Now, which would be better for sd between an airweight .357 and a +p rated snub. I can use 38spl ammo for pratice then carry 357 if i buy the .357 snub. In a 2 in barrel, some say that you will be losing a lot in terms of velocity so a 38spl will be ineffective in asnubby.

Would you feel unarmed with a 38spl +p snubby as your primary weapon?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've always been told it is better to own the a 357 than just a 38 revolver. If you have the 357 , you can shoot 357 or 38 ammo. Just makes since to me to have the extra ammo options.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I carry a 642 in .38 +P. It's subjective.

·
Registered
58 Posts
.38 special+p will do the job, HELL a .38 special will also do the job!!! IMHO! Shot placement is Key. With all these people carrying .380 acp and they say a .38 will not get it done!! I'm vexed, very vexed!!!!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Just remember that most .357's will be slightly larger. 38 +P self defense ammo is going to be about as good as standard .357 fodder. I would not feel under gunned by a .38 +P.

I used to own a S&W 642 but traded it off. I found I could carry a Kel-tec PF9 easier, have more rounds, faster reloads, faster follow up shots, more accuracy and it weighs less/

·
Premium Member
127,140 Posts
My Ruger LCR .38 +P gets the job done for me.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Depends on the weight of the revolver if you want to use it for CCW.

My wife's S&W airweight in .38spl kicks like a mule, while my brand spanking new Ruger SP101 in .357 has no real kick to with the same .38spl it as it is heavy stainless steel.

.38 spl or .38spl P+ is an adequate SD round, IMO. It has been in use for how long?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
My Ruger LCR .38 +P gets the job done for me.
I chose the 38SP LCR over the .357 version simply because the 38SP LCR is 4 ounces lighter. It carries very well and is a great gun. There is no way I would want to shoot .357 rounds out of a revolver that light. Even my stainless SP101 kicks real hard with a .357 round. I think .38 +P are more than adequate and you can get off a good follow up shot if needed.

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
Huh.

I'm just using a standard pressure .38 LWC in my .38 M36...guess I must be doing something wrong...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
38 rounds today are so much better than they were. In a heavy gun 357 is the way to go in a light revolver 38 is the better choice. Honestly both will make you just as dead.

·
Registered
29,593 Posts
38 rounds today are so much better than they were. In a heavy gun 357 is the way to go in a light revolver 38 is the better choice. Honestly both will make you just as dead.
Actually, I'd disagree--today's factory .38 rounds are watered down compared to what they used to be.

A lot of what they call +P today was standard pressure not too long ago...befiore the ammo companies sarted to lawyer proof their loads.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Actually, I'd disagree--today's factory .38 rounds are watered down compared to what they used to be.

A lot of what they call +P today was standard pressure not too long ago...befiore the ammo companies sarted to lawyer proof their loads.
Im sorry i meant more high end rounds like buffalo or Double tap which i know you dont like. There are still many quality rounds you can find for self defense. Not to mention bullet design has come a long way.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
First question is have you ever shot a 357 Magnum? Did you notice how much LOUDER it was than 38 spl. or 38 +P. Now imagine shooting it from a 1 7/8 inch barrel WITHOUT any hearing protection. BTW, I've noticed as barrel length is reduced the volume of the shot increases. Out of a 1 7/8 inch barrel most of the energy of the powder charge will be expended in producing massive volumes of noise, what's actually used to drive the bullet will only net a gain of 150-200 fps compared to a standard 38 spl. BTW, one of the gun rags ran this particular comparison about 2 years ago, unfortunately I can't remember if it was Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo.

Then there is the matter of the recoil. The S&W 340PD specs in at around 12 ounces unloaded. That won't be fun to shoot with 357 Magnums unless you're a Terminator from some alternate future reality. As for that thought about practicing with a 38 and carrying Magnums, do you really think that practice will actually result in your being proficient with those Magnums? If you do, rent a 340PD and try doing a bit of rapid fire practice with it using 357 Magnums. I suspect that you'll find that "rapid" fire means 2 to 5 seconds between shots in order to hit the target. Now picture how effective that rate of fire will do if your facing a carjacker armed with a Glock 19.

Personally, I think the gun anyone chooses for carry should be the gun they shoot the best with in a rapid fire setting. That means it has to be a gun you actually enjoy shooting because it takes a fair amount of practice to shoot any handgun well. I also think that you should practice with your carry ammunition at least once every 6 to 8 weeks. While burning through carry ammo that costs 0.80 to 1.00 dollar a round isn't cheap, it's the only way you'll know how it feels to shoot and how it shoots in relation to the sights. IMO caliber and energy are secondary in consideration in choosing a carry gun, what is most important is choosing a gun you can "call your shots" with. Carrying a big bad 500 Magnum won't do you a damn bit of good if you can't hit with it, on the other hand a puny little 22LR will do quite well if you can shoot your opponents eyes out.

Finally, I'm NOT a fan of pocket carry. However, I'll freely admit that is because I have to carry so much stuff in my pockets. In my case I could probably call 911 and get a police response on scene faster than I could fish a handgun out of my pocket. Yeah, it's an exageration but not that much of an exageration.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I carry a Taurus 85 Ultralite .38spl +p most of the time. Put a Crimson Trace grip laser site on it for rapid target acquisition. When carrying it, I have it loaded with Hornady +P 110gr HPs. It's a nice, comfortable little gun to carry, recoil ain't bad, and I feel it will get the job done if needed for SD.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You really need to do some scientific testing.

Get both guns/ammo.

Go to the range with a trusted friend; have him/her shoot you with both guns/ammo. Multiple shots are best.

Pick the one that hurts more.

Simple, effective, foolproof.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Then there is the matter of the recoil. The S&W 340PD specs in at around 12 ounces unloaded. That won't be fun to shoot with 357 Magnums unless you're a Terminator from some alternate future reality. As for that thought about practicing with a 38 and carrying Magnums, do you really think that practice will actually result in your being proficient with those Magnums? If you do, rent a 340PD and try doing a bit of rapid fire practice with it using 357 Magnums. I suspect that you'll find that "rapid" fire means 2 to 5 seconds between shots in order to hit the target. Now picture how effective that rate of fire will do if your facing a carjacker armed with a Glock 19.
I own an carry on a regular basis a 340pd....it's a great carry gun...not a range gun. When I acquired the 340, I also owned a 642, the 642 felt heavy in comparison and sold off the 642. I can "dump" all five rounds in quick succession but admit I can't feel my hand/arm for several hours afterwards ;). In a social defensive situation, I imagine they'll be so much fight or flight adrenaline going I won't hear or feel a thing.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I've always been told it is better to own the a 357 than just a 38 revolver. If you have the 357 , you can shoot 357 or 38 ammo. Just makes since to me to have the extra ammo options.
^This

And as to the "would you feel unarmed with just a .38 +P?" comment I say "NO!" See how your hand feels with that round coming out of a S&W 442. Some people carry .380 autos or .22s so believe me the .38SPC +P packs plenty of punch!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I own an carry on a regular basis a 340pd....it's a great carry gun...not a range gun. When I acquired the 340, I also owned a 642, the 642 felt heavy in comparison and sold off the 642. I can "dump" all five rounds in quick succession but admit I can't feel my hand/arm for several hours afterwards ;). In a social defensive situation, I imagine they'll be so much fight or flight adrenaline going I won't hear or feel a thing.

The 642 felt heavy because it is made of steel, not because it is a .357. The (alloy) 342 would not be significantly different from the (alloy) 340 that you favor except that it chambers .357 instead of only .38 spl.

Edit: I just realized I was the confused one, not you. Sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts