Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have them - and used them correctly (let a range buddy randomly insert them somewhere in your magazine, with you having no knowledge of which round they are), did you diagnose your trigger problems accurately? And did/could you rectify your mistake? Groups tighten?

Appreciate input..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been using snap caps for the last month or so (due to the advise of those on this forum) and my groups have improved considerably! I still flinch but not nearly as much and I'm more aware of it now.

I'm also getting better at clearing potential "jams" from the gun since you have to rechamber it after the snap cap.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Been using them for ages.

I have been having issues w/ second shots so I went to the range and loaded alternating live/snap. I tried firing just like I would trying to get that quick second shot off and noticed I was back to my old tricks of flinching (albeit slightly) on my second shot. I worked on that last time at the range and ended up shooting a perfect string for my opening stage the next night in competition. Talk about a confidence booster.

I think a good set of grips and most of my issues will be addressed and I can start concentrating on speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
can any ofyou let me know hwat this is all about?

I am assuming that these are "dead" rounds that you are using at random to help with limiting your pre-shot reacations...is this something you can make or you have to buy them?
I am new to shooting and have been looking for anything that will help.

I tried to use the search before posting and this topic didn't even come up??
TIA
Jp.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
dub-N-tek said:
can any ofyou let me know hwat this is all about?

I am assuming that these are "dead" rounds that you are using at random to help with limiting your pre-shot reacations...is this something you can make or you have to buy them?
I am new to shooting and have been looking for anything that will help.

I tried to use the search before posting and this topic didn't even come up??
TIA
Jp.

Snap Caps allow safe dry firing while protecting firing pin, sear and trigger. Excellent for firearms safety and storage. Dry Fire Dummy Rounds are made of tough plastic exterior with solid brass base. Ideal for training, working firearm actions and dry firing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use Saf-T Trainers (bright orange urethane rounds) for the same purpose. Since I'm often shooting alone, I mix 10 trainers and 10 live rounds in a pouch, then load each mag randomly from the bunch. After doing so, I'll shoot off a few clips from my .22 so that I have no recollection of what order the live rounds went in. The extensive practice has brought my groups down significantly, and a recent break from such measures led to some annoying fliers yesterday. Back to school for me...

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Old School said:

Snap Caps allow safe dry firing while protecting firing pin, sear and trigger. Excellent for firearms safety and storage. Dry Fire Dummy Rounds are made of tough plastic exterior with solid brass base. Ideal for training, working firearm actions and dry firing.
So where is a good place to purchase these Snap Caps for a .40 S&W??

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
Old School said:

So where is a good place to purchase these Snap Caps for a .40 S&W??
They're a little more expensive, but I love my Azoom snap caps.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm

The Azooms are aluminum so they seemed more durable to me than the plastic snap caps with the springs inside (especially if you're doing range exercises).
-hype

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Dry fire practice is a key in becoming a better shooter!
Also when used at the range Snap caps will help you become better at clearing jams as stated above!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
So, Old School, where can you get the ones you mentioned? I can't find them on your site nor can I find them when I do a google search. I only find the Azooms. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Thanks for the link...ordered some for the .40 and the 9mm

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts