Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should a snap cap be used when dry-firing an XD/XD(M) or any other striker-fired handgun. Is there any reason why they should NOT be used when dry-firing striker-fired handguns, aside from perhaps being a waste of money to do so ?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
While not necessarily needed with the XD/XDm ... Snap caps can do no harm to any firearm I know of, and they can be a great training aid at the range.

Have a friend load a few randomly into a magazine ... The you can practice FTF drills.

Also,
When dry-firing, you only need to pull the slide back enough to reset the trigger (not eject a round), so you really only need one in the chamber.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I thought snap caps was recommended with the XD to avoid unnecessary impacts against the firing pin retaining pin.?.
Who told you that ?
Someone who is trying to sell a replacement pin, or a snap cap :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
There's nothing mechanically wrong with using snap caps.

However, when using them for dry firing at home, I still feel you are mentally training yourself to use a loaded weapon ( even if it is "loaded" with dummy rounds ) in an unsafe environment. You're getting used to seeing the loaded chamber indicator in the "hot" position, you're getting used to having a mag in the weapon when other people are nearby. You're training for a potentially terrible accident when you THOUGHT it was loaded with just a snap cap.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I use snap caps on all my pistols whenever I am dry firing. They are cheap and already have them already anyway. Definitely won't hurt me or my gun and possibly help avoid a problem...why not?

·
Registered
134 Posts
For sure use them if you have done any trigger work.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
For sure use them if you have done any trigger work.
Just curious,
Can you justify why having trigger work done makes them a necessity ?

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just curious,
Can you justify why having trigger work done makes them a necessity ?
I read it on one of the websites. I should have been more clear because it pertains to specific parts replaced. I will try to find it again and will post a link.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I read it on one of the websites. I should have been more clear because it pertains to specific parts replaced. I will try to find it again and will post a link.
Cool ... Would love to read it ... Never heard of such a thing before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cool ... Would love to read it ... Never heard of such a thing before.
I didn't either. I dry fire all the time. Before and after I read that. I have snap caps now but like every one else has said it will not hurt it to dry fire.

I'm trying to find that link. Will post it as soon as I do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought snap caps was recommended with the XD to avoid unnecessary impacts against the firing pin retaining pin.?.

You are correct. Using a snap cap is recommended when dry firing. Repeated impact on the retaining pin will eventually wear it out and require you to replace it. This information comes from an armorer.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
You are correct. Using a snap cap is recommended when dry firing. Repeated impact on the retaining pin will eventually wear it out and require you to replace it. This information comes from an armorer.
That pin is a sacrificial item, and is designed to do just what you describe ... That doesn't mean you can't dry-fire without a snap cap.

As for what "repeated" is ... Many people claim to have thousands of dry-fires with no problems, and others claim their striker retention pin has failed within hundreds of rounds fired, and no dry-firing.

Does the owners manual state "Do Not Dry Fire This Weapon, unless you use a snap cap" ?
NO !

1 - 20 of 56 Posts