Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a nice trip to the range tonight with my xdm 40 4.5 and my pocket sig p238 and i am seeing some nice improvement with both. I have been dry firing each night with them and some snap caps. My main issue has been the normal beginner shooter issue low and left. Well tonight everything was pretty well brought up to center. Sure still a little too much spread but that is more a matter of slowing down.

All I can say is spend a couple bucks and get yourself some they really do help. Sorry no pics so some might not believe me..hahaha

·
Registered
78 Posts
What drills with the snap caps have you found most effective? Anything in particular?

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been doing 3 things with the snap caps. My "legal warning" make sure to have only the snap caps in the gun or magazine and triple check it before you try steps 2 and 3.

1. mix them in randomly into the magazine the day before the range so i don't remember where they are or have someone else load them in for ya.

2. I don't recall the term they used but basically i hold the gun right up to a blank wall a few inches away so all you can focus on is the sights and pull the trigger from there. You can see then if there is any movement in the sights since its the only thing in your vision sight.

3. I bought a bore sight laser that goes in the front of the barrel and i hang a target at the end of the hallway so i am aiming about 25 feet out. The laser shows any movement which really helps. You see pre and post movement and just how shaky your hands really are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the response I will have to try those!

I had been doing the balance a empty shell casing on the front sight post and trying to get it to stay there and not wiggle when you pull the trigger and was looking for some others.

Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I bought a rail mounted laser for this reason and just ordered some snap caps. I'm glad to hear it helps, because I have the same problems. The laser helps, but since I can't do a full trigger pull (cause I don't want to dry fire over and over) its not quite the same.

If you get a chance, I'd like to see the pics of the targets...

·
Registered
261 Posts
What are the advantages of the snap caps? I shoot low and to the left as well, but consistent. Any help to improve is appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from everything i read the low left shot i normally from a few basic things.

1.bad trigger pull
2. jerking the gun in anticipation of recoil
3. flinching

If you search there are more reasons. The snap caps seem to help me with the trigger and flinching for sure. I like to mix them in preloaded magazines for the range and you can see if you flinch when there is no bang. You would be amazed how you react it pisses me off all the time. I flinch even with no bang sometimes

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I first got my 40 4.5 I shot high and left. Tried everything that I new to correct it. Loading snaps helps you slow down and pay attention to your grip and aim. You know it's coming, so you tend to be more focused. I learned I was gripping the back strap/grip safety area way to hard with my thumb. Which was pulling the muzzle to the left. I still struggle with some days. I guess I have small hands. It's just a huge stretch to get a grip on the XDM. Still hoping SA will make a single stack XDM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the response I will have to try those!

I had been doing the balance a empty shell casing on the front sight post and trying to get it to stay there and not wiggle when you pull the trigger and was looking for some others.

Happy Shooting!
Thanks for this one too.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts