Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**new to forum. If I need to move this thread please advise. Thank you.**

I have had problems with snap caps feeding correctly with my xds, my XD has had no problems. The snap caps tend to jam on the xds. My question is two fold. Dry firing, is that an issue with xd/xds? Does anyone have advice on the xds jamming issue? It feeds and fires fine with live ammo.

Thanks and I'm glad to finally be a part of this group!

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
The xds was never designed to eject live rounds. The tolerance and clearances are tight to the point occasionally one might stick. What this means is your gun prefers to be fed live rounds;-)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Try a different brand of snap caps. I found that the ones that worked great in all my other pistols did not do well in my Dan Wesson.
Use your jamming ones in malfunction drills, you won't have to pretend a feed/extraction failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome and feedback...their site says dry firing is not harmful as I thought. So that maybe an option too. Odom, mind elaborating?

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Had a similar issue with my snap caps (Tipton I think) in a Shield I recently got. Would not feed reliably, unless I lengthened the cycle time. Not sure I ever used snap caps on my XDS 45 when I had it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
to elaborate on what Odom mentioned: snap caps are same length as live rounds ... when you shoot a live round only the shorter brass casing needs to eject. Small guns like XDs are engineered to do "just enough" in many ways, one is just enough for that brass casing to reliably fit thru port. So the longer snap cap will tend to hang up.

tip: when dry firing you don't need to eject snap cap and cycle another to reset the striker ... just pull slide back until you feel and hear the reset, a bit more than 1/4 inch

Reactions: HDHNTER

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
to elaborate on what Odom mentioned: snap caps are same length as live rounds ... when you shoot a live round only the shorter brass casing needs to eject. Small guns like XDs are engineered to do "just enough" in many ways, one is just enough for that brass casing to reliably fit thru port. So the longer snap cap will tend to hang up.

tip: when dry firing you don't need to eject snap cap and cycle another to reset the striker ... just pull slide back until you feel and hear the reset, a bit more than 1/4 inch
true, but I like to simulate real fire as much as possible. Even though you can reset the striker by pulling back slightly, that does not eject the round or feed the next round from the magazine.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
/\ sure ... but manipulating slide on any gun does not simulate shooting at all - release of two hand grip, slow cycle of action vs normal, loss of sight as hand between eyes and sight ... but to each their own

Reactions: Joao01

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
/\ sure ... but manipulating slide on any gun does not simulate shooting at all - release of two hand grip, slow cycle of action vs normal, loss of sight as hand between eyes and sight ... but to each their own
true, but any way you slice it you have to break the grip to even reset the striker by pulling back a fraction. I guess I should have clarified in that my method only simulates the mechanical function of the pistol. Time and a place for both methods I suppose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use AZoom in my XDm's and XDs 45 which appears to be a solid alumimun dummy round and they feed fine.

I like using snapcaps for malfunction drills. Pretended and just going through the motions just doesn't cut it for me(esp on the failure to eject drill). I also practice trigger control and reset drills, using the snap caps as a counter to let me know when I have done enough with out over doing it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tipton snap caps feed fine in my XD's .45 3.3. I occasionally have a live round hang up when unloading as the clearance is very tight as mentioned on these guns.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another thought.... pick up one of the laser rounds that doesn't eject on a slide cycle. I use one in place of a snap cap for dry firing, and also helps with proper trigger pulling techniques as you can see where the red dot hits and if you are jerking your finger on the pull.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts