Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased snap caps for my XDM 40. As with everything I buy I did a lot of research in order to buy a quality product. Here is a video I found on Youtube that has a very good review of the most common types of snap caps. This video was not created by me but I found it to be a good review so I wanted to share it with the community here. I hope others find it as helpful as I did.

I almost purchased the aluminum versions until I saw this review. Also, its horrible what the plastic caps did to this guys Glock barrel! For those who dont want to/cant watch the video I recommend Tipton snap caps. Brass contact points, spring loaded primer area, and polymer design that doesnt fragment or shed onto the internals of your firearm.

Here is the link to the video:

Reactions: 100968

·
Premium Member
17,767 Posts
I'm using the AZOOM, may have to get a set of the Tiptons. Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm seeing those 2 for $12, that decent deal??? 45 acp
IDK what prices are for the .45s. I bought Tipton .40 S&W - when I got them from Midway I paid approx. $12 for a pack of 5. Seemed like Midway had good prices so you might want to check the .45s there.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I tried snap caps, and for "me" I was too uncomfortable practicing with a "loaded weapon."

I know the caps are not bullets, but the act of inserting them in a magazine and loading one made me nervous there was something loaded in my weapon.

I dry-fire with a totally empty weapon. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
17,767 Posts
That's ok for some pistols, but Beretta says that you must use snap caps.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have used both the Tipton and the A-zoom snap caps in 9mm and .45 ACP. They both work pretty well. The A-Zoom did not flake nearly as bad as what the guy is showing in the video. But, I don't cycle the rounds completely. I load one snap cap in the chamber, and then do a partial rack. That is, just pull the slide back enough to cock the striker, usually only takes about 1 inch. The round does not get ejected and that method seems to cut down on the wear and tear of the snap cap.

Since I found the Laserlyte training rounds, I don't use the snap caps anymore. These things are awesome. They stay in the chamber, and you can load the metal snap caps in the magazine to simulate the weight of ammo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09Z79WDS4MPYHHZHWK5T

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I've used Tipton, Azoom and Carlson. The rim of the Azoom gets chewed up pretty quickly. The rim of the Tipton is brass and holds up a little better. I found the Carlson to have dimensions closer to the SAAMI specs. The Tipton is undersized and proper ejection of the last round in a magazine is problematic on some of my pistols.

For a revolver I like the Azoom. When looking at the base of the cartridge you see the words AZoom and the rubber/silicon primer makes it readily apparent that it's not a live cartridge.

The Tipton and Carlson use a spring buffered primer area. I always wonder after they have inherited a dimple whether or not they are still absorbing energy of the extended firing pin.

Like Bozz10mm, I am usually using a Laserlyte cartridge. But I still use snap caps for malfunction drills, the Laserlyte can't help you in that regard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts