Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the dog out to pee tonight and a copperhead tagged her on the leg. Up until today I have been a pretty live and let live towards snakes, but that's done now. I see em they are dead from now on.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is back home after a trip to the emergency vet. Smiling and tail wagging. Benedryl and Antibiotics.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
The only snakes I will leave alone are Black Snakes and other non-poison ones. My Jack Russell was bitten 5 times by Copperheads and once by a rattle snake. He died with the rattle snake bite. I spent many hundreds of dollars on snake bites. I dispatch them with shot shells from a handgun.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Killed this little jewel while back on my property.
2nd one Ive offed.
In TX it is illegal to kill any snakes unless it is a threat to people or property.

Most I let go this one and the other CH were being shale we say testy.

Usually snakes will avoid you as much as you avoid them they however do not like being surprised or cornered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
In TX it is illegal to kill any snakes unless it is a threat to people or property.
Absolutely NOT true.
. From the article, regarding Texas:
“It will probably surprise no Texan that the Lone Star State has few regulations for snakes. There are a whopping ten rattlesnake species that call this state home. It's not a total free-for-all like you might expect, however. The Texas Eastern Indigo Snake is protected. Texas Parks and Wildlife knows Texans like killing snakes, but they also try to discourage it wherever possible, likely to avoid mishaps or misidentification.”

They even make a festival out of it, in Sweetwater:
“On average, 4,000 pounds of snake are rounded up every year, where they are weighed, sexed (meaning they're identified as male or female), milked, killed and skinned.”

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Better ck again sir
Indiscriminate killing is illegal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Better ck again sir
Indiscriminate killing is illegal.
Nope. You’re wrong. The article I sighted has the technically legal interpretation of the law. As verified by the official Texas government website:

Only the Indigo snake is a “legally protected” species according to the Texas Parks & Wildlife (who is responsible for conducting the hunter education course). Your comment as to the ‘desires and wishes’ of the Parks & Wildlife department do not translate into what’s legal or illegal. They are, after all, mostly tree hugger ‘environmentalists’. They [tpwd] may express their recommendation or suggestions but that is not law! It most certainly is not illegal to kill snakes (indiscriminately or otherwise) in Texas - with the exception of the one species mentioned previously. You may not like that comment but your opinion also doesn’t carry the weight of law. You need to just “get over it” AND stop putting out incorrect information. I’m done.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Busykngt I looked again in my TPWD manual and I would have sworn I read it there however I be mistaken.
Still Let um be if they are not a direct threat myself.

Apologizes sir.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok, maybe I’m not as done as I thought I would be.

It may strike you as peculiar but my actual sentiments are not so different from yours. First of all, I don’t go hunting for snakes. And as to the ones I run across around my house, IF they’re non venomous, for the most part, I try to leave them alone and encourage them to mosey on their way. After all, they do a good job in helping to keep the rat and field mice populations down. But my house backs up to a green belt area with a creek. This has lead me to killing three copperheads in as many years; two on the back porch and this year, one so far, on the front porch (within a foot of the front door). Just not going to tolerate those.

Obviously the point I was trying to make earlier was the technically “legal” aspect of Texas law concerning snakes. Some states do have strict or moderately strict laws concerning the killing of snakes.... but Texas isn’t one of them. Best to ya.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Ok, maybe I’m not as done as I thought I would be.

It may strike you as peculiar but my actual sentiments are not so different from yours. First of all, I don’t go hunting for snakes. And as to the ones I run across around my house, IF they’re non venomous, for the most part, I try to leave them alone and encourage them to mosey on their way. After all, they do a good job in helping to keep the rat and field mice populations down. But my house backs up to a green belt area with a creek. This has lead me to killing three copperheads in as many years; two on the back porch and this year, one so far, on the front porch (within a foot of the front door). Just not going to tolerate those.

Obviously the point I was trying to make earlier was the technically “legal” aspect of Texas law concerning snakes. Some states do have strict or moderately strict laws concerning the killing of snakes.... but Texas isn’t one of them. Best to ya.
No worries.
Take way more to upset me.
I was mistaken could swear I read it.
And for sure any slithery things (poisonous) found that close tonthe casa for sure dispatched quickly.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've lived in this house (central VA) for 36 years come August.

I've seen several good sized (4 to 6 feet) black snakes in that time. So far I've not seen a copperhead or a rattlesnake. I let the dogs out of the pen 2 or 3 times a day and they run around the yard, back lot, down into the woods to the creek (the doggy pool is never as good, cold, fun, etc. as the creek down in the woods - you know how it is). I mow/trim 2.5 acres. I sometimes get into cutting back the brush around the fence lines or near the woods.

I've just not seen poisonous snakes, let alone killed any. I have a neighbor who kills every snake he sees - including the black snakes. I had to save one of a pair of them from his hoe/shovel a few years back. We had two that traveled around together that were between 5 and 6 ft. long. I came home from work one day and he'd killed one of them that was up under a pine tree in my yard. While we were talking the second one came along and he grabbed his hoe and went after it. I got him stopped, picked the snake up (still uninjured) and carried it back down to the woods behind my house. Never saw it again. I don't know if something else got it at some time or other or it just decided not to come back.

This summer I've seen a couple 4 footers traveling through the yard when I was on the mower. No idea where they came from or where they went.

I have another neighbor who has lived here for about 5 years or so. He tells me he's killed several copperheads around his house. Not sure why I never seem to see them.

People are funny about snakes, bugs, spiders, lizards, etc. Can't fix that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Copperheads are rarely fatal to {adult} humans but they can lead to an amputation in a bad case. Rattlesnakes on the other hand...

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I have at least 2 Black snakes, a 6 foot and a 5 foot, living in my yard, one lives under the front porch. I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Copperheads in my yard are getting fewer over the years. If I see one, I shoot it because of the grand children. Other snakes are disappearing for some reason, may be the Black Snakes, I don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts