Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any success with snake shot?

I tried some S&W .40 CCI (100 pellet) shotshells night before last on a rattler that the Mrs. and I came upon while enjoying the view off our patio. It was about 30 minutes after sunset and in the failing light I fired off two shots with my S&W 411 .40 (XD was loaded with Hydra-shock rounds) and missed miserably the first time. The snake moved and I hit it the second time (I think) as it moved quickly away in the direction I was shooting. It disappeared in the darkness down the hill and I didn't want to go find a wounded snake in my shorts and flip flops on rocky terrain in the dark. I waited till morning to investigate, but the rattler was no where to be found. Either our resident screech owl had a nice dinner or the snake shot was ineffective (from about 10-12') or maybe it works and I'm a really lousy shot! My Dad had similar results with his and after firing a complete magazine of snake shot seemingly hitting all around the snake, but not killing it, he reloaded with regular rounds and dispatched it to snakey heaven. Any feedback on these rounds? I'm taking the snake shot to the range to see what type of pattern I get, but looks like next time I'll use regular ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Because of the rifling the shot spreads rabidly. You need to get up close and personal for it to do any good. Sadly the Judge (POS) would be a good choice for this scenario. I would just use what ever you carry instead. I shot at one at about 15 feet with .357 shot shell, just scared it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had good luck with snake shot, but only in a .38 revolver with 4 inch barrel. Of course, I was usually less than 10 feet way (distance probably more like 6 to 8 feet).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Because of the rifling the shot spreads rabidly. You need to get up close and personal for it to do any good. Sadly the Judge (POS) would be a good choice for this scenario. I would just use what ever you carry instead. I shot at one at about 15 feet with .357 shot shell, just scared it.
Rabid shot? Hydrophobi-shoks!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've had good luck with snake shot, but only in a .38 revolver with 4 inch barrel. Of course, I was usually less than 10 feet way (distance probably more like 6 to 8 feet).
Same here over the past 20 years. I've killed probably 60 with 38 snake loads. I hand loaded using the SPEER capsules.

In my experience the over the counter shot cartridges in 22.lr are worthless in quickly dispatching a rattler. The other calibers are better suited for revolvers then the semi-auto's not enough charge to operate the slide reliably. YMMV

When I'm in the field, I always carry 2 rounds of shot in my revolver When I come upon a singing worm I rotate cylnder so hammer will drop on shot cartridge.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not enough shot & it's pretty small. In the bigger 44 & 45 colt rounds, you can get enough shot to do damage beyond 6ft, but in the little 9mm & 40, nope, it's 6ft or less for best results. If the snake is 10ft away, you have time to aim & put a shot into the head. When you want the shot rounds is when you are within striking distance, under 6ft. Always aim for the head.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I used some in my XD45. Out of the 7 rounds I shot- only 4 of them had enough charge to even blow the slide back. The charge was VERY inconsistent and tough to judge. I decided it wasn't worth my time and switched to regular jhp for the woods.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback gents. I'll try a FMJ for every 3rd. Round round for now and will stick with regular ammo when I've used up my shot shells.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I have dispatched plenty of snakes with .22 and 38 shot shells with 1 shot. The trick is to be close 4-6 ft and shoot for the head. I would trust my life to shot shells. However I always give them a second shot just to make sure and you can be closer. As a matter of fact I have killed 3 snakes in places you couldn't use regular ammo. #1 inside my garage on a cement floor (without damage to the floor) #2 on my front step also concrete (no damage) #3 inside another garage that had concrete floor and concrete walls. A copperhead was curled up right in the corner. Used my 38 and dispatched him without any riccosheys back at me. :mrgreen: You can't use round nose or hollow points for those shots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point on fmj or jhp not good for close quarters. I'll carry a magazine of each next time I'm looking for a new belt.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I killed several snakes quite successfully with a Colt Python. These were small to medium sized copperheads and rattle snakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awhile back, I loaded my NA Arms .22 Magnum with snake shot. While working in my backyard, I came across a water moccasin in the palmettos. I took careful aim at its head (from about 6'-7' away) and fired. It just slithered away. No damage done.......
Then, earlier this year I came across a huge water moccasin on the road by my house. After running over it 3x with my car, I realized that I needed to go home and retrieve my snub-nose .38. Came back, rolled down the window and from 7'-8' away I fired, hitting it in the head. I just shook it off. Second shot - same approach, same result. Finally after three shots to the head, it died. I immediately sold my .38 and bought a .40 S&W Shield and a Ruger GP100 (.44 Special). Hoping that I will never have to use either of these larger bore loads, but if I do, I hope that the result would be better and actually shred a snake as so many contributors swear that THEY HAVE DONE!
Tried to find results of tests, but all that I can find are shot patterns - not penetration or actual successful snake shootings.
Not sold on the product............

·
Premium Member
17,968 Posts
Old thread but good discussion...

It would be worth the time to pattern it from 2/3/5/7 yards to see how much it spreads. I have .22LR shot shell that I’ve used a couple times in my SR22 but usually pretty close range (3 ft). And no, it won’t cycle, have to manually rack.

I would like an excuse to buy some ballistic gel, too.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Snake shot works, but you have to be close to the snake. Usually just out of striking range and make a head shot. CCI works better than the crimped shells. I have used 22, 38 and 45's, all with good results. 45's will cycle a 45 Auto. No more than 2 shots to finish most snakes. The 38's and the 45's only need 1 shot. A 22 CCI within 3-4 ft will dislocate/break the snakes jaws so he can no longer strike at you. I shot 2 this year, a rattler and a copperhead.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Killed a few with it from a .22. Always loaded the first one or two holes up in a revolver with snake shot...that's for the ones that appear under your feet and you really want to keep all your toes. If you see one that is 5 or 6 feet away you have plenty of time to rotate cylinder to a solid or HP.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
I liked to go hiking in the mountains when I was younger. It got shale and rocky and out popped a 6 foot timber rattler. I had a .357 with snake shot along with .357 rounds. I shot that think in the face 3 times with a haze of snake shot. All it did was piss it off. I dumped those, and put in magnums, and hit the body so it would coil around itself, and then put one in the head. Then it was dead.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Killed a couple of copperheads with mine years ago. You can buy the shot capsules (Midway and other vendors). I load mine with 7&1/2's (not as much shot but man it goes through a snake like it was paper). I was maybe 5 ft. from the first one. Probably the only snake I ever killed that didn't twitch/jerk/coil around. The second one did some jerking/twisting but quit pretty quick.

Pistol was my Ruger Speed Six stainless with 2&3/4" barrel.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
I had to Google. 44 Spl GP100... I was unaware that it existed.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I just saw a new listing for CCI shot shell ammo, 9mm, and 38/357, #4 shot for varmint control. Looks like a winner to me and the 9mm will probably cycle the auto 9mm's. If these don't kill a snake then nothing will.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
As you go bigger on shot size the number of shot drops, drastically between some sizes. If you buy some, be sure to pattern it to get an idea of just how far you can be (or how close you need to get) to a snake to get enough shot on scales to stop the snake dead right there. I had to chase done/corner/finish killing a timber rattler one day (stick and rocks) and I don't mind telling you my heart was definitely thumping away in my chest as I climbed that rock pile looking for that sucker. Finally got her out from under a rock with the stick and got lucky with the big rock. Did take her awhile to stop trying to crawl away though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts