Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a Smith and Wesson Model 317 .22 lr revolver with the 3" barrel and high viz sights and adjustable rear sight? I am thinking about getting one while we can still buy guns.

Here is the picture:

Here is the weblink: Product: Model 317 Revolver - HIVIZ®

I am wanting to get it as an easy to carry trail gun for hikes and such.

Chapie+

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was going to get a S&W 63 (29 ounces) or a S&W 617 (41 ounces) but the S&W 317 with the 3" bbl and adjustable rear sight and high viz front sight only weighs 12 ounces. I am getting it to be a trail gun, not a target gun so the additional weight on the ever excellent 617 doesn't appeal and the 63 feels a little heavier than it needs to be. So anyone have experience with the very light (12 ounces) model 317?

Chapie+

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to get a S&W 63 (29 ounces) or a S&W 617 (41 ounces) but the S&W 317 with the 3" bbl and adjustable rear sight and high viz front sight only weighs 12 ounces. I am getting it to be a trail gun, not a target gun so the additional weight on the ever excellent 617 doesn't appeal and the 63 feels a little heavier than it needs to be. So anyone have experience with the very light (12 ounces) model 317? Chapie+
So does anyone have any experience with a Smith & Wesson Model 317?

How hard is it to smooth out / reduce the double action pull?

Chapie+

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone out there have a Smith and Wesson Model 317 .22 lr revolver with the 3" barrel and high viz sights and adjustable rear sight? I am thinking about getting one while we can still buy guns.

Here is the picture:

Here is the weblink: Product: Model 317 Revolver - HIVIZ®

I am wanting to get it as an easy to carry trail gun for hikes and such.

Chapie+
Has anyone ever heard of this gun? Has anyone ever handled one of these guns?

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
ill help you single it down.... No i havent, but it looks nice

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill help you single it down.... No i havent, but it looks nice
It does look nice, it is really, really light - almost toy like, but I figure it would be easy to carry on a hike all day, maybe a good survival gun, easy to carry that and 200 .22 lr rounds and other survival gear. I don't think the recoil of the .22lr would be much - I won't get a S&W 329 lightweight .44 mag as the recoil is too much in such a light package.

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
It does look nice, it is really, really light - almost toy like, but I figure it would be easy to carry on a hike all day, maybe a good survival gun, easy to carry that and 200 .22 lr rounds and other survival gear. I don't think the recoil of the .22lr would be much - I won't get a S&W 329 lightweight .44 mag as the recoil is too much in such a light package.

Chapie+
what kind of trails are we talking about here? it is nice little gun to take with you cause its so light, and you can hold so much .22 with little added weight/bulk. but I'm taking it you don't need to worry about bears where your going?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i would get product: Model 500 revolver - hiviz® - interchangable compensator if i were you, just seems necessary
lol!

If I need to carry that:

Then I ought to be carrying a rifle or maybe a 12 ga loaded with slugs. No the .22 lr is not for bear hunting, I have a .44 mag for such things. The .22 lr is for lightweight survival measures. I would rather shoot a rabbit with a .22 lr than a .44 mag. So has anyone shot one of these airweight .22s?

Chapie+

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought this little pistol for my darling wife. it is light, purse sized, and won't hang fire like a semi auto. thoughts about the weapon. Fired about 100 rounds through it. Trigger pull is heavier, which I wanted for her--avoid bang bang bang! when shooting bad guys. It is perfect for trail, hiking, attention getting (ONLY in the most adverse situations!!)

When using as single action, the satisfying click if the hammer being cocked tells mom that the pistol is indeed ready. I have some concerns about rapid fire in that the light weight may allow a swing right and high. This is important as the round is small and may need to be more carefully aimed in a home defense situation. Easily overcome with practice at a decent range. I like the front sight and the eight rounds. Easy to make the front sight line up in dim light.

I'd probably load the first two cylinders with snake shot the rest hollow points in snake country. At home all eight HP.

I did notice some scoring on the cylinder from the pawl moving the cylinder for each shot. Didn't expect that sort of wear early--but we did shoot it a bunch. Nice weapon, works for us as intended. Allows us time to get to the Mossberg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep...I had one years ago when they didn't come with the Hi-viz sights. At the time I owned it I also had a 4" model 63 and a Taurus 3" barrel 9-shot revolver (I can't remember the model number). I had tested all three at 25 yds with various brands of ammo and the 317 was dead last in accuracy with everything I tried.
It had about an 18 pound double-action trigger pull (fer real) and would still have fairly frequent failures to fire. If you made sure to press the rounds in to the chamber as far as they could go there were less FTF but they still occurred.
I've now got the 3" S&W M-63 and love it. I've got a set of Ahrends stocks on it and just last night installed a white outline rear sight.
Sorry, but if I had the chance to buy another 317.... I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
My wife has one (no adjustable sights) and it is really nice.

It is the same basic configuration as her .38spl.

Cheap practice.

·
Registered
29,810 Posts
Wow...another necropost.

I had to laugh at the "while we can still get guns" line in the OP, though...good lord, chicken little had nothin' on us gun owners back then...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts