Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here owns one, and do you like it? How does it compare to your XD? Would you recommend someone getting one? By the way, where can you get cheap mags for a 9mm M&P?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I love my M&P 40. Out of all the guns I shot when looking for my first semi-auto this was the most comfortable. Mine was manufactured in June of 2007. The gun shoots great, I like the recoil better than my friends G23. I have never shot an XD, so i couldn't tell you the difference between the two. However, the M&P is my favorite out of all the guns in the $500 range. Also, S&W's customer service is solid. I'd personally get one without the mag safety, but MA requires this feature.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
don't own one, but i've shot a few...i found their triggers "gritty", and didn't like the half-trigger swivel-type safety. i prefer that of the xd or glock, by YMMV.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
By the way, where can you get cheap mags for a 9mm M&P?
They're at least $30 a pop when you can find them.

Ive owned a full size M&P 9mm but sold it. I have another one currently in lay-away. The gun is accurate, very low recoil, and has amazing ergonomics.

That being said, I go back and forth with my self daily wondering if I should just switch it for another Glock 19. I like the magazine availability, parts availability, and ease of gun smithing on the Glock. With a Glock you can pretty much work on the gun yourself, and every online retailer and their mom sales factory parts.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love my M&P 40. Out of all the guns I shot when looking for my first semi-auto this was the most comfortable. Mine was manufactured in June of 2007. The gun shoots great, I like the recoil better than my friends G23. I have never shot an XD, so i couldn't tell you the difference between the two.
+1

I just took the same brand new beast to the range a few days ago for the first time. After the first 85 ever put through it, it's already very accurate) and from my observation the recoil is noticeably reduced in the M&P compared to an equivalent XD. Definitely a quality piece. A new fav.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Love them so much I have 3. Lower perceived recoil due to the very low bore axis and ergonomics. Very accurate for me. Fits me like a glove.

A 5" 9mm for USPSA
A .40 standard I use for personal carry when I'm home
A .45 standard for carry when I'm working

:cool:

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I want one in .45acp. And when I get it, I'm going to have my way with it...

Now if only I can get one of the stores to actually order one.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Smith claims the reduction in recoil is due also to the internal metal chasis. Also if you click on my blog (liberals click here) below, I've written a full review. Great guns, and if you act now, Smith is offering 2 free mags or $50 cash back. I'm going for the mags!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I think the magazine disconnect is a joke. And I'll never own a gun with one.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just shot my new M&P 9c yesterday for the first time.

In a side by side comparison with the XD, i have to say that the recoil is less ( metal chasis and feels like a lower bore axis but i'm not sure about that), the grip is slimmer and with the large grip installed, longer front to back. Making it even more comfortable in my opinion.

Out of the box its more accurate than my XD9 service. Mostly due to the fact that the sights on the XD are not my favorite. If they both had the same sights i doubt there would be much of a difference.

There have been many complaints about gritty triggers, mine was not that bad, but the pull was a tad heavy. That can be easily remidied with a few drop in parts.

Add in the fact that i had not a single hiccup in the first 300 rounds. With one more outing to the range and it will become my daily carry, replacing my XD9.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Went to the range with my buddy yesterday who is looking at buying an XD 9mm. I told him he needed to cross shop and shoot some other guns, so we rented an M&P 9mm. It shot accurately for me and the grip was comfortable, but a little too thin for me. The recoil was about the same as my tactical and I really liked the sights. The three things I didn't like were the plastic hinged trigger, the overall look and feel of the gun (it just felt cheap to me and I'm not feeling the slide serrations) and the mags. I can't believe they charge $30 for those things. In my opinion the stock mags for the XD are some of the best I've seen. But this is just my two cents. Everyone that has one really likes them. YMMV

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I think the magazine disconnect is a joke. And I'll never own a gun with one.
You can get the M&P without the disconnect. Most are made without it. All mine are absent of that feature.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Working at a gun range, everyone who rented the M&P liked it but 80% of them liked the XD better. These were of course novice shooters.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I much prefer my 9 Compact over the Glock 19.

My hope is to afford a full sized or 9L this winter.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You can get the M&P without the disconnect. Most are made without it. All mine are absent of that feature.

Oh wow!! Cool. Then yeah. My sister has a .40. But because of CA's new laws it has to have the disconnect here. I assumed they all had them. My bad. Thanks for the news! :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've got a S&M M&P 9 as well. However, I like my XD9 much better. I think it's more accurate, more comfortable, and a nicer gun overall.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like my M&P 9 Compact so much. That I've decided to get a tac light for it and keep it as my home defense gun.

Something the women don't have to worry about being cocked n locked or
to mess with any safeties.

Sad part. I'll have to sell some new M&P holsters to fund the light, then buy

something like the Galco Halo down the road when they offer such for the
Compact.

Anyone have a pic of a M&P or XD Sub with the X2 light??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts