Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided the next gun I am going to buy is the Smith & Wesson 500. I have been saving for a little while now and will hopefully have enough to buy before the end of the year.

Only problem is I can't decide which size to get. I want the model with the Interchangable Compensator and those come in the 8 3/8" and 4" barrels.

I will be using mostly it to target shoot, maybe someday I would use it for hunting, but who knows.

What do you think? Long or short barrel?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My step-father has a 500, and having shot that beast I would have to recommend the longer barrel. His has the 8 3/4" barrel with comp and after only 2-3 rounds it becomes unpleasant to shoot. Definatley not something the average shooter would want to put more than a few rounds at a time through. But man is it a sweet shooting beast when it comes to power and accuracy. I plan on owning one myself one day in the not too distant future.....good luck and enjoy. Oh and btw you might want to check into ammo prices.....last ones i saw were in the $50.00 per box range:shock:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at ammo, there is a place about a hour from me that makes 500 ammo and the charge $28 for a box of 20. Figure I would give them a try and see how it is.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, seems like the long barrel is the way to go. I am not going to lie, it is going to be tough saving for it ($1030 on Buds). There are a few other guns I could get on the way but I figure those will be easier to save up for then this.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Ok, seems like the long barrel is the way to go. I am not going to lie, it is going to be tough saving for it ($1030 on Buds). There are a few other guns I could get on the way but I figure those will be easier to save up for then this.
Do you plan on using their layaway? I used it on my S&W BG38 and used their electronic payment, all that's need is your account #, routing # and check digit.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you plan on using their layaway? I used it on my S&W BG38 and used their electronic payment, all that's need is your account #, routing # and check digit.
I looked at their layaway plan after reading your post, I have a little over half saved up already so I figure I will just keep saving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW - I just purchased the 4", can't wait to take it to the range. I opted for the 4" because it's a little lighter and I wanted something compact-ish when I'm out hunting (side arm, not primary hunting weapon).

It's my first (mostly) impractical gun I've purchased...I'm SO EXCITED! :)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
i imagine the 500 has significantly more kick than a 44mag and the 44 is not a fun gun to shoot. But it is a cool piece.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
i imagine the 500 has significantly more kick than a 44mag and the 44 is not a fun gun to shoot. But it is a cool piece.
Actually, in most loads, it's really not too bad...the long barreled version weighs slightly over 5 pounds, and the compensator works quite well.

Start pushing those 440 and 500gr bullets hard, though...yeah, it can pack a wallop.

The first time I touched off mine, I was actually a bit disappointed that there wasn't more buck to it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you want some real recoil then get a Scandium framed Smith in .44mag. I too want a S&W 500 and will hopefully get one next year along with the reloading dies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 4" and the 8"
I prefer the 4" and hand load for both.
275 grain barnes bullets are quite a blast without pain. Incredible power.
The 8" with heavy 400 to 500 grain bullets can be brutal.
No comparison with a .44 magnum.
The 500 is great fun, I always shoot it last and typically only shoot 20 to 30 rounds.
No regrets buying either.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have the 4" and the 8"
I prefer the 4" and hand load for both.
275 grain barnes bullets are quite a blast without pain. Incredible power.
The 8" with heavy 400 to 500 grain bullets can be brutal.
No comparison with a .44 magnum.
The 500 is great fun, I always shoot it last and typically only shoot 20 to 30 rounds.
No regrets buying either.
What is it about the 4" that you like better than the 8"? I'm curious because I do want to get one next year and will be hand loading for it also.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After much deliberating I have decided on the 4" and I will buy the 8 3/8" barrel the next time I am able.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If it were me, I would be interested in the 8" for hunting. As long as it wasn't the ES model...

That said, I've never shot a .500 smith and wesson so what do I know?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I ordered the 4" 500 S&W from Bud's today, it should ship out today or tomorrow morning. I figure it should be to my FFL by Thursday/Friday to fill out the paperwork and pick it up by Monday. And I ordered 40 rounds of ammo, should get those today. I can not wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shot my new SW500 4" last weekend and it put a huge smile on my face...My buddy standing a few feet behind me said "It felt like someone just slapped me in the face" :lol:

I was shooting 300gr Hornady JHP. I have some 350gr I want to shoot next.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the 500 will be to my FFL Wednesday 8/24, so I should be able to pick it up on Friday 8/26.:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts