Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a stainless Smith and Wesson model 649 this weekend. The guy selling it to me says the side plate has a crack. The cover that you can take off to get to the internals.

Anyways, does anyone know where I can get a replacement for it? Like I said, it's stainless.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Side plate cracks wory me. Could mean a heavy load busted a primer or caused frame flexing. Guns like this cause lots of frame tourque when they are shot with heavy loads all of the time.

"IF" you buy it send it back to Smith and Wesson and they will fix it for you.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Normally this means that someone improperly tryed to remove the side plate using a screwdriver by prying it up. This will certainly lead to cracking the side plate. This is most likely what has happened. By prying the sideplate, this will also risk warping the plate.

I would just give S&W a call and check on a price.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
+1 on checking with S&W on the price for the repair.

I'd also suggest that, if possible, you have a reputable gunsmith give the gun a good looking over before you purchase it. The money you pay him can save you from wasting money on a gun that has lots of problems. It is the same idea as having your mechanic look over a used car or truck before you buy it.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Come to find out, the side plate was not cracked. It was just the edge of the side plate. It lined up so well with the frame, it just looked like a hairline crack to the uneducated eye.

Everything is good, and picked it up Saturday.

Thanks again for your time, much apprecaited.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts