Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ordered the SmartCarry for my PM9 and XDM Compact after many months of self debate.

As I type this I am comfortably carrying 25 rounds on my crotch. :shock: 13 in the gun and 12 in a spare magazine, both safely tucked in my SmartCarry. Yes, I realize the numbers don't add up, could be 14 in the gun and 13 in the spare magazine but i need more SD ammo :)

If anyone is on the fence on this holster, do yourself a favor and just buy it. If you've never heard of it, buy one.

This is the ultimate concealment holster that requires nothing else (no special gun belts, no larger pant sizes, no extra pockets).

The XDM is great with it and the PM9 is virtually unnoticeable.

Love this holster.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There's a gun show here in Houston this weekend, maybe I'll get one. Haven't found anything good for my PF9. Of course, the problem with this is resale, if I decide it's not for me. I don't think anyone would want a used crotch holster. :)

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have read about them and kind of always wanted to try one. Thanks for the review.:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a gun show here in Houston this weekend, maybe I'll get one. Haven't found anything good for my PF9. Of course, the problem with this is resale, if I decide it's not for me. I don't think anyone would want a used crotch holster. :)
60 day trial period solves that issue :D

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I have one and like it very much. It's not something I use everyday, but it definitely fills a niche.

It does conceal much better than you'd think, it is much more comfortable than you'd think, and it is not a cheap product, like you'd think.

My one and only complaint is that it isn't conducive to a quick draw in the car. So if you take it out and, say, put it in the center console, it's a pain to re-holster safely without unbuttoning your pants.

Well worth the fifty bucks I paid for it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have used several of these for decades. As bowl said, I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, perfect. When I started I was carrying a full size 1911, but have them for a 1911 Officer and a Kel-Tec P11. Most of the time I used them while wearing shorts, and I can even tuck in my shirt if I want with no belt.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's the only holster I've found that will conceal my FN FNP45 (with Burris Fast Fire II) and carry an extra magazine. Don't use it a lot, but I don't live in Indian country either. LCP is always with me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree. This is a great carry option for carrying when you don't have a belt option. Like say under athletic shorts with an elastic waistband.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just lookig at the website briefly, I have to say the product reminds mend thunderwear, also made in Florida.

If that's the case, I would not recommend. I don't want to say for sure though because I'm on a mobile and can't examine more thoroughly... But if it's like Thunderwear... The thunderwear sucks!

And it looks like thunderwear to me :/

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Just lookig at the website briefly, I have to say the product reminds mend thunderwear, also made in Florida.

If that's the case, I would not recommend. I don't want to say for sure though because I'm on a mobile and can't examine more thoroughly... But if it's like Thunderwear... The thunderwear sucks!

And it looks like thunderwear to me :/
Similar design, but I think Smart Carry is a more well made product.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Similar design, but I think Smart Carry is a more well made product.

YouTube - ‪SmartCarry vs. Thunderwear - Deep Concealment Face Off‬‏
Thanks for the link. That was very good info. After seeing it, I will just give anyone who wants to consider it, my $0.02. Again, just my opinion...

The Thunderwear I have here was purchased at a gun show here is So. Fla. for about $20, and it was NOT worth the money. So this glorified thunderwear (again IMO) would PISS ME OFF to have paid upwards of 50 bucks for something that's no better, just a little thicker with better stitching.

My problem with it is two-fold:

1) The elastic waistband is NOT supposed to stretch, and as you can see by the vid, it does on both of them. It sucks because the holster (like the guy says in the video) sags down to your hips. If you ever had to quick draw your weapon in an unfortunate situation, you will now have to dig down into your shorts/pants to "find" your gun. Unless of course, you also wear your clothing at your hips rather than your waist.

2) The velcro retainer is HORRIBLE. One, when you have a clip on holster (like most of the "good" IWB's) you can take it on and off with little effort. Let's say you are about to go in to the store that has a sign posted "no weapons." You need to go in, so you slide the holster off . . . not with the velcro setup. It's difficult to reach behind there and feel for the edge to tear, and the hooks are now clinging to your clothing, the cloth chair in your vehicle, getting snagged on something and not releasing all the way. It's just plain annoying. And if you try and "slide" it to the forward position for easy peeling off, all you are really doing is stretching the elastic (unwanted IMO).

If you want a crotch holster, get a IWB and hook it on the front... I use the King Tuk by Galco but any of the other major IWB like the Supertuck, or any of the other great ones discussed on this forum will conceal just as easily clipped onto the front, the only downside is no space for a flashlight (but who cares?).

Take it for what it's worth. I can't even give this Thunderwear away within my circle b/c my people know what it is and don't want it sitting in their house, and this new one looks JUST like it, with fancier stitching and a thicker padding... :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Isn't any sort of accidental discharge troublesome??:eek:

Based on the original question, believe only one of the two possible "discharges" is accidental while the other is better classified as "negligent" discharge.

Regardless, I'm with those that would prefer an easier access and quicker presentation.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts