Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I tested the smartcarry. I went to a local antiques fair with my XD9SC and an extra mag in tow using the smartcarry.

I was around probably 1000 or more people for several hours, interacting with vendors and moving through crowds.....no worries whatsoever.

Then....to the local pumpkin patch with my son and wife to pick out a pumpkin.....nope, no problems.

Then to end the final test...my wife asked if we could stop at the local gun shop....I guess you know the answer to that question....and they have no postings on the door going in so I never removed my weapon. Now these are guys that deal with weapons everyday, and the concealment thereof.....once again, no worries.

Even interacting with the guy at the counter, looking for a Bersa Thunder for the wife, he was none the wiser.

I ALWAYS keep in mind that "concealed means concealed" and that guides many of my actions.

It is very comforting to know that I can carry in the smartcarry all day, comfortably and no one is the wiser.

Once again, I love all my holsters but when it comes to making sure you are not discovered...this holster is a very good choice!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Personally I would never buy the Smart carry, true it is very concealable but a few issues I have is 1) It takes 2 hands to draw since you have to stick your thumb in your waistband so you can get your hand down to it 2) Don't like the idea of a loaded weapon by by junk 3) Going to the restroom would be an issue if you just needed to do #1 you would still have to use the stall and 4) My Supertuck works great and is very concealable

Although its not for everyone I do have to give it credit it looks like a very good holster for conceal carry, its just not for me

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would never buy the Smart carry, true it is very concealable but a few issues I have is 1) It takes 2 hands to draw since you have to stick your thumb in your waistband so you can get your hand down to it 2) Don't like the idea of a loaded weapon by by junk 3) Going to the restroom would be an issue if you just needed to do #1 you would still have to use the stall and 4) My Supertuck works great and is very concealable

Although its not for everyone I do have to give it credit it looks like a very good holster for conceal carry, its just not for me
Ok...let's look at your post....I, too, felt this way before getting one...as I was uneducated about the smartcarry.

Yes, it takes two hands...but so does my IWB. I have to throw my shirt out of the way to get that weapon....so no big difference.

The weapon is ACTUALLY in front of your junk, as you call it. If it were to fire...I would just have a hole in my shorts, whereas with an IWB, I could potentially have a round travel down my leg. (Don't get me wrong, I am still an IWB user also, just like the smartcarry a lot)

Going to the restroom is NO issue...and I use the stand ups....you just have to understand how it works. Anyway, most self defense instructors will teach you to use a stall anyway as no one can approach you from behind and you can fight your way out of a stall.

I also own two other IWB holsters and love them even though they are not the supertuck (never really like the way it looked) and they also work great...but EVERY holster has its time and place and I can tell you, I can carry very easily with a smart carry in situations that could pose an issue with an IWB.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i havent purchased my smart carry yet but from what i have seen i think it would be possible to draw with one hand, just not as quickly as you would with 2. also i wouldn't recommend the smart carry for every day use, buy more for times when deep and complete concealment is neccessary i.e work(for some), buisness meetings, etc. the bathroom thing could be viable, but again i wouldnt recomend the hoslter for edc. many owners of the smart carry also say that the barell is actually low and to the left of the boys.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts

I'll just be blunt since I get sick of seeing these posts.

My gun is at about 12:30 in a smartcarry. It is next to my "junk".
Unless your "junk" has a knuckle to pull the trigger why are you concerned? Even if I was a complete idiot and pulled the trigger during the draw it wouldn't hit my "junk".

I can take a leak using a urinal and you will never know I have a gun there. I do not undo my belt or unbutton my pants.

And next your supertuck will be more of an issue during bathroom breaks if you really think about it, While standing somebody can easily remove your gun from you and while sitting where is the smartcarry, oh yeah it lies neatly in the jeans right on top of your drawers, once again less chance of somebody taking it.

Any more topics you care to share with us that you have zero experience about?

I only use a smartcarry for my J-Frame when deep concealment is needed but these posts where people spew crap about how "bad" the holster is got old about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
937 Posts
once I actually get my permit, I think i'll give one of these a shot seems like it would be good for those times when u want deep concealment or with certain types of clothes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a great, but affordable, gun to carry. I was thinking about the Taurus. My job requires to carry a gun, but it must be concealed. I need something small, but can get the job done when necessary. I have a .380, but I must switch to a 9mm or a 40 cal. Any suggestions? Glocks are out of my price range.

:confused:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am looking for a great, but affordable, gun to carry. I was thinking about the Taurus. My job requires to carry a gun, but it must be concealed. I need something small, but can get the job done when necessary. I have a .380, but I must switch to a 9mm or a 40 cal. Any suggestions? Glocks are out of my price range.

Id suggest checking out a different thread first, this is about holsters man. Welcome to the forum though i'm sure you'll find what your looking for but this just isn't the best thread to ask the ? in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Id suggest checking out a different thread first, this is about holsters man. Welcome to the forum though i'm sure you'll find what your looking for but this just isn't the best thread to ask the ? in.
Thanks. New to this whole thing. How do you start a thread? I have been searching for a thread for guns, but I can't seem to find what I need.

:?:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks. New to this whole thing. How do you start a thread? I have been searching for a thread for guns, but I can't seem to find what I need.

:?:
its at the top of the page in each section.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I have both the Thunderwear (similar as SmartCarry) and the Supertuck. Most of the time I'm using my Supertuck with my XD45c. But there are certain times when the Supertuck can't be used. Specifically with gym shorts, sweatpants, some casual shorts that have no belt loops. Nike has some golf shorts that have no belt loops but a type of elastic loops built into the shorts that are adjustable. This is when I use the Thunderwear with the XD9sc.

I do agree that the Supertuck would be quicker for draw but just certain times I'll have to use the Thunderwear sometimes with my KelTec P3at as the XD9SC will print sometimes depending on what I'm wearing.

Bottom line is, there is no all time holster or all time CW you can use. You have to dress/carry for the occasion. Just this evening wife and I took the little one to Gameworks which is located here in Tampa in Ybor City. If you're familiar with Ybor it has some dark alleys/streets. The Supertuck is just not practical wearing as your playing video games, moving around being active with the kids. The Thunderwear/Smartcarry is perfect for this situation.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I see that you have only made 5 posts so far in this forum so please let me point you in the right direction.

Coming in to a topic and asking about something other than what the topic is about is known as a "thread hijack". That is usually not looked upon in forums favorably so please refrain.

If you would like to ask your question please go to the main area and select the appropriate area to ask it (relevency) and post a new topic.

Ohhhh....and welcome to the group!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I'll just be blunt since I get sick of seeing these posts.

My gun is at about 12:30 in a smartcarry. It is next to my "junk".
Unless your "junk" has a knuckle to pull the trigger why are you concerned? Even if I was a complete idiot and pulled the trigger during the draw it wouldn't hit my "junk".

I can take a leak using a urinal and you will never know I have a gun there. I do not undo my belt or unbutton my pants.

And next your supertuck will be more of an issue during bathroom breaks if you really think about it, While standing somebody can easily remove your gun from you and while sitting where is the smartcarry, oh yeah it lies neatly in the jeans right on top of your drawers, once again less chance of somebody taking it.

Any more topics you care to share with us that you have zero experience about?

I only use a smartcarry for my J-Frame when deep concealment is needed but these posts where people spew crap about how "bad" the holster is got old about 10 years ago.
Dude seriously take a freakin chill pill man, obviously you didn't read my entire post, I was not trying to bash the smart carry and it is one of the holsters I researched before buying my supertuck so I do know as much info about it as they post on their site. Yes there are some things I would not know without actually trying one first hand such as the restroom issue, or that you may actually be able to draw with one hand because the video's on their site tell you to stick your thumb in the waistband so you can get your other hand in to draw your weapon. Also without trying one first hand I would not know that the gun doesn't point at my junk and no my junk does not have a knuckle and I realize that 99.9999 percent of the time your firearm will not go off without pulling the trigger but it is a machanicle device and things can fail, plus that was more of an attempt at some humor. I love this forum because most people are cool but seriously man remove the stick from your @$$. I have bolded the parts of my original post that you obviously didn't read

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ultimate test for SmartCarry is if you successfully used it to defend your life. Concealing a gun is not hard. Concealing it in a way that is easily accessible is. The problem with SmartCarry isn't so much the location of the gun, it's accessing your firearm in a fast enough time to use it. Gunfights are usually quick, a few seconds at most. For me, drawing from a strong side holster is instinctive. When I practice, it feels natural, and it takes less than a second to get my gun on target. Reaching down my pants in a public place, for lack of better words, is anything but.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts