Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any right hand shooters used a left hand holster on the small of their back? or vice versa?

The right hand SOB holsters look like they can lose retention after some breaking in

Am I being stupid?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The only thing I've heard about SOB holsters is the risk of spinal injury, granted the odds of falling while carrying may not be high, but its a possibility... hitting your spine against a chunk of gun metal probably wouldnt be much fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would probably carry the left handed holster between the 5 and 6 position

is the risk of discharging a gun worse like that? It seems to be how Hollywood actors carry it in the movies, not like they ever do anything correct

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Not worth the injury risk. I build custom, high-end wheelchairs for a living and many of my clients are spinal cord injuries. So this hits close to home for me.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I dont think theres any more risk of discharging involved... another thing to think about SOB carry, especially between 5 and 6 position is trying to sit down, like when you are driving... I think the majority of non-hollywood types carry at the 3 or 4 o'clock position. You have better access at 3 or 4, its much more comfortable when seated, and you dont have to worry about spine damage if you fall. I'm sure plenty of people carry SOB, I'm just listing the negatives of what I have heard about that method.

·
Super Moderator
22,210 Posts
As stated before. The risk of messing up your spine is not worth the style of carry.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
As well you will increase the risk of pointing the gun at parts of your body or someone next to you as you draw.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
+1 for those recommending against small of back. Instructor I use, as well as a couple I read online, state that the discomfort of the sob carry when sitting, plus pain/damage if falling on the weapon in a struggle isn't worth the chance. Especially with so many good alternative carry methods out there.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I like this method. It is easy to hide and quick to get to. In any case, look at the options and your budget. I saw one holster that could be used for a number of positions from outside to SOB.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I carry 4 o clock iwb, with an xd45c and a CHEAP uncle mikes size 15 iwb. I sometimes forget its even there :). I cringe to think of falling on it let alone on the small of the back, Id be betting youd need to carry one of those doughnut pillows for a while if that happened. ouch!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The only thing I've heard about SOB holsters is the risk of spinal injury, granted the odds of falling while carrying may not be high, but its a possibility... hitting your spine against a chunk of gun metal probably wouldnt be much fun.
-Falling on a gun no matter where you're carrying it won't be much fun.

is the risk of discharging a gun worse like that?

-Sure if you draw it with your finger on the trigger just like any other holster.

It seems to be how Hollywood actors carry it in the movies, not like they ever do anything correct

-Seriously? And yes I see that you then doubted what you said but the fact that you're talking about carrying a gun in real life and comparing it to a Hollywood move.....seriously?
Not worth the injury risk. I build custom, high-end wheelchairs for a living and many of my clients are spinal cord injuries. So this hits close to home for me.

-Is it more of a risk than injuring your hip if that's where you're carrying it? See above: "Falling on a gun no matter where you're carrying it won't be much fun."
I dont think theres any more risk of discharging involved... another thing to think about SOB carry, especially between 5 and 6 position is trying to sit down, like when you are driving... I think the majority of non-hollywood types carry at the 3 or 4 o'clock position. You have better access at 3 or 4, its much more comfortable when seated, and you dont have to worry about spine damage if you fall. I'm sure plenty of people carry SOB, I'm just listing the negatives of what I have heard about that method.
-It's not uncomfortable at all. It's not below you, like a wallet that you feel when you sit...it's behind you and you don't even feel it. You can draw and fire while sitting with no problems at all.

As stated before. The risk of messing up your spine is not worth the style of carry.
-Where are you guys coming up with this injured spine stuff? When was the last time you fell DIRECTLY on your back? And on the small of your back to be exact. Say you slip on ice and your feet go straight out in front of you, your gun is still behind you not below you (as stated above). You'd have to have your feet go straight out in front of you and then straight up, and then fall down (much like a cartoon) in order to land on it.

I thought of carrying SOB but thought of the "what if" I was nocked on my back and needed to draw...
-Unless you have several people holding you down what are you worrying about? Seriously, lay on the ground and try to imagine how many people it would take to keep you from putting your hand behind yourself...

As well you will increase the risk of pointing the gun at parts of your body or someone next to you as you draw.
-Only decent point made here, although I will say the risk is probably not a much bigger percentage than any other carry method. Think of a shoulder holster...why do you think they're not allowed at 3 gun matches?

+1 for those recommending against small of back. Instructor I use, as well as a couple I read online, state that the discomfort of the sob carry when sitting, plus pain/damage if falling on the weapon in a struggle isn't worth the chance. Especially with so many good alternative carry methods out there.
-Nevermind. I take it all back. I didn't know you read it on the internet.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I carry 4 o clock iwb, with an xd45c and a CHEAP uncle mikes size 15 iwb. I sometimes forget its even there :). I cringe to think of falling on it let alone on the small of the back, Id be betting youd need to carry one of those doughnut pillows for a while if that happened. ouch!!!

I use the same holster you do so you know it rides high. How would you fall on it?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
-Falling on a gun no matter where you're carrying it won't be much fun.

-It's not uncomfortable at all. It's not below you, like a wallet that you feel when you sit...it's behind you and you don't even feel it. You can draw and fire while sitting with no problems at all.

-Where are you guys coming up with this injured spine stuff? When was the last time you fell DIRECTLY on your back? And on the small of your back to be exact. Say you slip on ice and your feet go straight out in front of you, your gun is still behind you not below you (as stated above). You'd have to have your feet go straight out in front of you and then straight up, and then fall down (much like a cartoon) in order to land on it.

-Unless you have several people holding you down what are you worrying about? Seriously, lay on the ground and try to imagine how many people it would take to keep you from putting your hand behind yourself...

-Only decent point made here, although I will say the risk is probably not a much bigger percentage than any other carry method. Think of a shoulder holster...why do you think they're not allowed at 3 gun matches?

-Nevermind. I take it all back. I didn't know you read it on the internet.
Clearly you are WIN... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
22,210 Posts
Clearly you are WIN... :rolleyes:
Its not the falling that hurts the back but im sure it doesnt feel good. Its the driving, sitting ,etc that makes you sit at a slight angle making you have to rotate your upper back to compensate.

Me personally I carry on my left side for 2 main reasons. 1 im left handed and 2 I always fall on my non dominate side, so that would be the right.

Carry where you want, we are here to help with your question. I carried on my back with my XD45c when I had her and after about 2 months I would always have back pain when laying down for bed. It really did hurt to "straighten" out since I was always at an angle all day.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Its not the falling that hurts the back but im sure it doesnt feel good. Its the driving, sitting ,etc that makes you sit at a slight angle making you have to rotate your upper back to compensate.

Me personally I carry on my left side for 2 main reasons. 1 im left handed and 2 I always fall on my non dominate side, so that would be the right.

Carry where you want, we are here to help with your question. I carried on my back with my XD45c when I had her and after about 2 months I would always have back pain when laying down for bed. It really did hurt to "straighten" out since I was always at an angle all day.
Why did you quote me on that one LOL;)

·
Super Moderator
22,210 Posts
Why did you quote me on that one LOL;)
Cause your my fav:D

I must of scrolled down before hitting quote. I meant to hit the guy above you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I carry a SOB holster in the 4:30, 5 O'Clock position, clear fcrom spine an comfortable, just need a baggy light windbreaker or over shirt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I carried SOB for a while but got away from it for several reasons. 1) I couldn't seem to make it comfortable while sitting. 2) the further you have to reach behind you to get to your weapons is time waisted. 3) the off chance of falling on it in CQC. 4) CQC retention goes out the window. 5) it was most comfortable to wear in left handed holster which made for a palm out draw and body strafing during draw.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the info guys.

I plan to use the SOB holster very sparingly and not for everyday carry. probably for use when doing contracting work in shady areas and such

1 - 20 of 37 Posts