Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a small-of-the-back iwb for XD? Anything reasonably comfortable to use that way?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I have a Hume DAH. It's a small of the back belt holster. I have one for my xd and it conceals very well. You also might try any regualr iwb that you like, just in the opposite hand. I accidently ordered a fist #1 iwb left handed holster (i'm right handed) for my sig p239. Instead of sending it back, I just use it it sob. Works just fine.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I found that a cheesy Uncle Mikes IWB For left handed draw fits comfortable for my Service Model, More often than not when I want to wear behind the back I wear my Invisible holster. My dad carries a Pt-140 and loves the clip draw worn that way. I think it sucks on the XD liek that. If you got a good gun store they should have no problem with you trying on holsters. No matter if it's $20.00 or $200.00

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But nothing for the XD dedicated SoB holster?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I know it is not perfect, however I know of many who have bought the Hume 715-M and carry it SOB. For strong-hand right, they went with a left handed holster. Most who tried it, liked it.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Blackhawk makes a leather OWB, the CQC Check Six for the SC, not sure about the Service model. I do not have any experience with the holster to relay.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Small of the back (SOB) holsters place the gun in the middle of the back. As you reach behind yourself, your hand may need to rotate depending on whether the gun is designed to be holstered butt up or butt down. The center of the back was the preferred place for World War I trench raiders to carry their holstered 1911s, but only because that was the only place where crawling soldiers could keep their weapons somewhat clear of mud.
For everyone else, this method holds only disadvantages. Sitting is uncomfortable; concealment is difficult; and a far reach is required to move the gun around your body in an unnatural and awkward movement. Most importantly, if you fall on your back with a gun lodged against your spine, you will most likely end up paralyzed.

FROM ARMED RESPONSE

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
This subject has come up before on prior threads and I think what I said in those bear repeating, so please bear with me.

Do NOT use a sob holster unless you want a good chance of future back problems. Many leos end up with back problems and tho there are a multitude of reasons, one of them is the single handcuff case holding 2 cuffs or the 2 single cases worn on the back of the sam browne belt. I have had 4 spine surgeries and that was a factor, among others.

My spine surgeon, who is a nationally recognized expert, told me to never have anything that presses against the spine. He even said it wasn't wise to carry a notebook in the rear pocket.

I would highly recommend not to use one. The problems may not occur for years, but once they do, you are screwed. I have no lumbar discs at all and the pain is miserable. Plus, I had to retire from a career that I really enjoyed.

Do what you want, but that's my $.02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts