Springfield XD Forum banner

Small Contest. What do you recommend?

8K views 90 replies 48 participants last post by  masterofg3 
#1 ·
Please recommend one (non-XD) pistol (9mm) or revolver (.38/,357) for everyday concealed carry. I'm in the market and money is not so much of an object. If I purchase what you recommend (and you were the first to recommend it), I'll send you a Blackhawk CQC Carbon Fiber Holster (non-patterned version).

Please note: I'm a small framed guy, but extremely accurate with my 9mm XD. This new firearm will be a primary, not backup. It will be carried concealed while on duty as a Private Investigator. I will also shoot with it at the range constantly, and don't want a difficult time finding accessories for it (holsters, etc.)

GO!

P.S. Images, links, etc. would be very helpful if possible.

#3 ·
I have 3 suggestions...

HK USP (originally designed for a .40 S&W, and the cal. that i would get)

Sig(listing 2 so u can choose what cal u think is best for your needs)
-p220 for the .45ACP
OR
-p226 for 9mm (or .40)

#5 ·
a variation of the usp compact... get the p2000. more concealable than the uspc, lots of radius and beveling work done to get it to be less likely to print and snag on a draw. The interchangeable backstrap makes it easy to fit it to your hand provided you don't have mammoth paws, and if you don't like the LEM (DAO) trigger, you can now get it w/ a DA/SA trigger. Very comfortable and lightweight to carry, yet durable and big enough to fit in the hand w/o feeling like you are holding a toy, which is why I chose it.

5k rounds through mine so far and not a hitch yet that wasn't user induced and intentional. Hell, it even fed empty brass, if that isn't reliable feeding, I don't know what is. Also the perceived recoil is softer than both my xd tacticals and a couple of service model 9's that I've fired.

http://www.hkpro.com/p2000.htm

#6 ·
I would take a good look at a Smith and Wesson revolvers specifictly one of the Model 340 series. They have a scandium frame, stainless steel barrel liner, and titanium cylinder. Its a five shot 357Magnum/38 Special +P with an enclosed hammer (double action only). No hammer to catch on anything. And at 12 ounces unloaded they are a dream to carry. You will almost forget your are carring it.

mcb

#9 ·
In 9mm, I would go with a Browning Hi-Power Mark III:

In a .357, I would go with a Ruger GP100 w/3" barrel:

#10 ·
As much as I love the Hi-Power, like the Belgian beauty above (have one...love it), I'd have to say that the last few single stack SIG 9mms I handled were good candidates. Not cheap but quality pieces that would be very comfortable to carry.

-Brickboy240

#15 ·
i would recommend these .

S&W 340PD

S&W 386PD

S&W MOD 686(comes in a few barrel lengths.)

Springfield ultra compact .45
oops you wanted a 9mm auto, how about this?

Walther p99 QA
they are making a sub compact version of this, or at least S&W has one coming.

#16 ·
If you don't want to pack a 40, I suggest a Glock 31 or 32 (corresponds with 17 and 19 in size) either are chambered in 357 sig. The 31 holds 17 rounds, 32 is 15 rounds, you just can't get better than that.

If you will go a tad bit bigger, go with 10mm. About as much punch as a 45 without the size and you're getting 15 rounds in that mag too (Glock 20).

#18 ·
I personally like the weight of a steel revolver over an airlite model. It's more controlable for me, and makes a better blunt weapon if necessary. I also like at least 3" on a revolver barrel. I'm glad we don't all like the same things!

#22 ·
In a 9mm, I would look at a Sig P239 single stack or a S&W 3913TSW, also a single stack. In a revolver, a S&W model 60 3" .357 would be 90% as concealable as the 2" version, but give you adjustable sights and the ballistic advantage of a longer barrel.

I'm assuming that as a PI you need a serious handgun, but that concealment is important for you to be effective in your job. Many civilians carry a gun and no reload, as a pro, you will probably carry the normal two reloads, so the 8 round capacity of the autos should be less of an issue, and as for the magnum, if you are considering a revolver at all, you have probably already considered with the capacity issue. Gotta love speed strips.

Good luck, and have fun shopping.

#23 ·
#26 ·
Dotagious said:
Outstanding. Thanks for the great feedback so far. I will post my "short list" this weekend and let you know what I decided on the beginning of next week. Thanks again for the prompt input.
You did dangle a carrot lol :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.