Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about a Ruger LCP, but everyone seems to have them on backorder. Any other small similar guns you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Obviously you could go for the Kel-Tec, which is pretty much the same design. I would also check out the J-Frames. A 642/442 is a great small carry gun.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
My summer carry is a snub .357, Taurus 651 ss.....not much bigger then your typical .380 and packs a bit more punch. I slip it into my cargo shorts using a pocket holster...no printing...very little bulk.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I was thinking about a Ruger LCP, but everyone seems to have them on backorder. Any other small similar guns you guys recommend?
The LCPs were recalled. I've heard complaints on the Kel Tec. I carry a S&W 642 in a Mikah pocket holster. It is great!

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
You could look at the Kahr PM9 or MK9.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Keltec PF9, not much bigger than LCP/P3AT and gives you 7+1 9mm

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My p3at has been nothing but reliable and accurate since the day i got it you look at any internet forum it doesnt matter which one someone will always say somthing bad about one type of gun and tell you which one they would get , the lcp is a newer desighn and it may have had a recall but ruger will fix it up . that being said to ask for opinions on a certain gun your likely toi get as many responses as theyre are members if your looking to buy a new one why not go to a tore or a range and hold and if you can try out a few to see which one feels right for you .

·
Registered
53 Posts
J-frame. Only 5 shots, but .38 +p will do the job. Best part-reliability. With winter coming, can be fired repeatedly from inside a coat pocket if need be. With a slide, probably one shot only before feeding/jamming problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
With .38 wheelies (S&W, maybe Taurus and Charter Arms too) and 9mm (Kahr, Kel-Tec) now so small and pocketable, I see no reason to be carrying .380 or less.

The very small increase in size over these .380 and .32 popguns in a truly viable caliber would serve one MUCH better if the second worst thing in self-defense ever comes one's way.

- OS

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
My Kahr .45 has been a big pain in the ass - they are overpriced and under performs i.e. jams, failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject.

Others have had great luck with the Kahr and swear by them.

I likely just got a lemon.

So I stick with my S&W 642 for pocket carry and the XD 45 for duty.

The PPK in .380 has a heavy double action trigger pull and kicks like a mule. My .45 kicks far less than a .380 PPK.

Chapie+

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and I have no complaints about the little gun it has 450 rounds through it including 150 in one range visit and no malfunctions. I really feel is a very reliable gun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I again vote for the Kel-Tec P3AT, I have started carrying mine almost every day with clip mounted on the gun and clipped to waist band, also got the mag extension made it easy to grip and the DPX corbon dosen't hurt eaither.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Kahr PM9. Mine has been perfectly reliable, right out of the box. It has handled fmj,hp, and +p loads with no problem. My Kahr is smaller than my Bersa .380 and weighs a lot less. Having said that, the Bersa is a double stack and is all steel, but the Kahr is much better for summer carry.

Holster is a Desantis Super Fly Pocket Holster

Compared to the Bersa

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kahr PM9. Mine has been perfectly reliable, right out of the box....
Yep, same here.
Generally have XD SC IWB, but during summer heat and long walks just use the Kahr PM9 in pocket. This StellarRigs kydex rig keeps 13 rounds handy and is only slightly wider than the pistol itself.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The 642 always goes bang - a handy thing for self-defense.

The 642 (or any revolver) can carry snake shot or hollowpoints or wadcutters or +P loads or whatever else without any chance of it jamming.

The 642 gives you double strike capability (if a round doesn't go bang due to a problem with the ammo itself, you don't need to tap, rack, and bang, you have only to squeeze the trigger again and try the next round). Okay double strike capability refers to hitting the same round twice and with the 642 you actually revolve past the faulty round and onto the next one.

The 642 allows for a variety of grip configurations such as two laser grip options, hogue grips, pachmyer, wood grips, and a whole lot more.

(please note, where my preferance is for the 642, all of the above features are also available on ANY Smith and Wesson J-frame .38 or .357 magnum revolver i.e. the 36, 40, 60, 340, 360, 442, 637, 638, 640, or 649).

Chapie+

1 - 20 of 24 Posts