Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm new to the AR world and am trying to build my first one up. I was wondering if somebody could educate me a bit on slings. I know there are 1 point, 2 point, and 3 point slings, but what are good brands to get? And what would be the best sling to get if its just a fun range fun/maybe home defense gun? I won't be running miles in it or anything... My other question, is what do I need to attach a sling? Do I need to get another of those plates that go on the stock tube? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
personal prefernce and style of firearm plays into this alot. For me. on my 16" due to the massive surefire grip combo and no rails I simply added a rear receiver mount and run a singlepoint setup. I will however add a front point soon, thinking a sling thing QD. For fixed A2 style stocks there are fixed stock adapters. Or the standard USGI carry sling type. The fixed stock adapter and a good higher mounting point for the front will allow you to carry the firearm in a tactial ready position by slipping your weak hand a arm thru the sling and and allowing the barrel to drop on the weak hand side, which is ready for immediate deployment and leaves both hands free, or you can slip it off and over a shoulder, cross back transistion, ect. I really do not like 3 points slings. but its a preference thing, others will say otherwise. For me I really liked the gearsector slings. The 1" webbing I originaly thought would dig into my shoulders ect. Was I wrong. The padded slings bunch up around my neck and made me feel uncomfortable. Again other opnions will vary. The slick sling material that gear sector uses allows it to shift easily across clothing as well. Plus they have OUTSTANDING customer service. I own 2 single point and 2 dual point slings and enough adapters/ mounts to rig them between 10 of my firearms. Here are some photos I took of my last gear sector purchase. The M590A1 and benelli have dual point slings, the mossie took a fixed stock adapter on the rear and a loop for the front sling plate. The benelli came with the mounts and took 2 loops to connect it all. The mossie as has a GGG HK clip between the reciever and stock for a slingpoint setup. The 7.5 pistol has a CQD rear mount since it works with the RRA buffer tube. The 16" has a gearsector rear mount, soon to be sling thing QD front. The rear on a 2 point can be slung thru the stock or by QD to the CTR stock

Then I threw a few more guns and stuff down on top for a photo

Popular slings: gearsector, VTAC, vickers, Larue, blackhawk, Urban ERT. Popular mounts: gear sector/ daniel defense, GGG, CQD, and a million others

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I carried my M16 everywhere I went, I used a 3-point "low ready" sling. Since I still have that one, I'd probably still use it.

Just for range and HD use, I doubt I'd have a sling, or if I did, it'd be the standard issue 2-point one...the sling doesn't help you shoot ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hasty slings will steady a weapon quite well. Also the standard issue slings are dirt cheap and some even come with the ARs when you buy them. Most ARs already accept them as well.

The saying: "A sling on a shotgun/ rifle is like a holster for a handgun" is fitting. like the previous poster stated, for HD it could get caught up on stuff and complicate a already complicated situation, but would you have your handgun holstered either?

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I picked up a Blue Force Gear - Vickers 2 point sling not too long ago. Also picked up a quick connect that goes nicely into my Magpul CTR stock. It may be a little over kill but it sure is nice.

::BLUEFORCEGEARâ„¢:: (sling)
::BLUEFORCEGEAR™:: (quick connect)

I picked it up a local store for $44 and few more for the quick connect.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, thanks for the nice tips guys...much appreciated. I'll see what I can find at the gun show this weekend, and if not, I'll search some online retailers.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Jason at GearSector is absolutely awesome to deal with. He helped me find perfect fitting battle quality slings for both my AR build and my HD shottie. I ended up ordering Friday and had the slings installed Monday.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a couple different Specter Gear 3-point slings on different rifles. I like them.

I also have a sling that I made using this info:
AR15.COM :: Forums :: Make your own TAC SLING for 10 bucks! Pics and detailed instructions inside 56k warning

It was pretty easy to put together. The homemade sling works pretty well, too. I have triple wraps of paracord on the gun, and swivel snap links on the sling. I'm going to make a few more of the homebuilt models, but make some changes to the attachment points.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Jason at GearSector is absolutely awesome to deal with. He helped me find perfect fitting battle quality slings for both my AR build and my HD shottie. I ended up ordering Friday and had the slings installed Monday.

+1 on Gear Sector and Jason. I also own a 2pt and an single pt sling from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts