Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Don't know how much of a problem this is.
First I'm a total newbie on gunsmithing.

Installed the prp Drop In kit last night on my XDM compact 9mm 3.8"

Mostly went well until I had to put back the Locking block.
The rear of the block was a bit tight & hard to position over the new trigger.
Front went down easy and lined up easy to push pin back in.
Rear was very difficult to line up holes through block and trigger.

Had to mess with a smaller punch pin on left side for a while to get the holes lined up. Eventually got pin back in.
In the YouTube video his block just drops in easy on both ends. No problem.

When replacing the slide it went over the rails on locking lock fine but when it came to the rear rails- the polymer rails on frame- it stopped.
Just slightly hitting the rail on left side. By pushing the slide just a bit with right thumb it went over rail.
I removed slide and oiled the rails, did again. Still hitting on left. Very slight. Could be 1/64" or less. Contact still. But better.
I dry fired a number of times and took slide off. & on a few more. Seems to be better. New trigger breaks & resets fine (really NICE) now & can't wait to get to range.
But I'm concerned that it touches the rail at all. I assume that if it stays that way it will wear the rail unevenly. Or slow the slide down.
I'm trying to figure how its possible to be different now.
All the parts seem to be in place. But my inexperienced eye may have missed something.
My first thought is that somehow the locking block is out of alignment - because it was so tight going in on the back. But once the pins are punched back there's no room for wiggle.
Any thoughts here?
I sent a note to PRP, but it's the weekend and I may not hear back from them until Monday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it until I was sure it was right. The slide lock spring comes to mind. Does the slide lock function properly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't shoot it until I was sure it was right. The slide lock spring comes to mind. Does the slide lock function properly?
Yep. I can lock it back with the lever or if I keep an empty mag in it also locks open properly.
Yes. All functions appear to be normal.
Sounds right. Feels right. Only if I take the slide off & put it back do I notice anything.
Just haven't shot it, nor will I until I talk to the PRP people or take it to a local shop to be examined.

When putting it back together it was tight at the back of the locking block - but the slide lock lever is behind that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because of your comment I just checked it again to see if the slide lock could be out of place. And it does not seem to be. And I realize that when I replace the slide to lock it back depending on how I hold the slide - whether i pull towards me (gun in right hand, slide overhand in Left) it moves past the rail no problem.
If I don't pull at all or have any pressure to the right from my left thumb, that's when it touches.
It may not be a problem at all.
But I will take it to my local shop on Tuesday & let the smith there examine.
It may be fine.
Just now have to do the freezer test for the Over travel stop on the trigger.
It does get COLD here in Chicago occasionally …….:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed.
It was bothering me that it was so tight putting in the rear of the locking block. I thought about what you guys said about the spring and took it apart again, this time checking the movement of putting the block in and out as i added each new piece to see if I could pin point when it started sticking.
And this time when I had the parts all in place it went in smooth & easy, pins went back with minimal fuss on the trigger (just pulled the trigger in slightly & up when pushing the pin through.
Slide does not appear to hang up on rear rails now. I think I got it.
I'll have my shop double check it, but pretty sure it's good to go.
Sometimes you just have to start over & go slow….
What's that the Sniper's say? "Slow is fast, fast is slow…."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts