Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I haven't had this gun out in the weather yet. I have the XDm bi-tone, stainless. I have noticed a few specks of what appears to be rust on the side and top of the slide. I tried cleaning it and it turned the pad a slight rust color, so a little came off, but it's still there. WTF......not too impressed with that. Other than that, I love the gun. Any suggestions to get it off, or ideas as to why it's even there? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Try taking your pistol down and put a magnet in the area where the breech slides. If you don't get any pull from the magnet it means that the slide is a 300 series stainless and it takes some very corrosive chemicals to make a 300 series stainless corrode. If you get a pull from the magnet, it means that the slide is a 400 series stainless, which can develop a film of rust when exposed to certain salts, such as persperation. The good news is that it can be cleaned off very easily if you use the right product. That product is available at almost any auto parts store and it called Never Dull Magic Wadding. Give it a try, you'll be shocked at how easily it will clean up that slide.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Wow that is a real drag. Yes stainless can still rust, thats an uncommonly known fact. Its just a better resistant metal then most , but it can still corrode. Try cleaning it and then I would call Springfield and raise hell with them.

Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was all about the bi-tone until I saw one in a gun shop. It was brand new (and hadn't been out very long) and already had rust specs in the shape of fingerprints on the slide. Didn't inspire confidence.

VV

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Once you do get it cleaned off, go get yourself a hoppes'gun cloth and keep it wiped down...even though it is stainless it can still rust unless you take measures to prevent it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize it can still rust. my point is that i've had it maybe two weeks, and the only time it was out of the case, was when i took it to the range, in bright sunlight. i then came home, cleaned it, oiled it, and back in the case. it hasn't been in the weather. i'ma try that cleaner first, then i'll call springfield if it don't work. thanks for the advice guys.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Your hands oils and sweat are probably the cause. Keep it cleaned with the hoppes wax cloth and you won't have any more problems.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Your hands oils and sweat are probably the cause. Keep it cleaned with the hoppes wax cloth and you won't have any more problems.
Sounds like a echo....LOL....

The Hoppe's cloth is a good thing to have....

·
Registered
40 Posts
CLP and a rag take the rust spots right off. I checked mine after I read this and found it all over the slide. I hadn't cleaned it since I was last at the range a week ago. I would tend to agree with the others about sweat from your hands being the culprit. When I was cleaning my pistol I noticed little droplets were left on the slide just from holding it in my hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts