Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my XD 4" 45 ACP for a couple of months now. I was really never one for polymer pistols and always carried an all steel Beretta .380 Cheetah with the Buffalo Bore hundred grain flat points. I still love the Beretta but I have to say that I really like the enormous 45 ACP bullets and the XD seems to be a really great gun so far, so much so that it has replaced the Beretta that I carried for more than 15 years as my carry gun. Something disturbing happened to me yesterday evening though, I was doing some dry fire exercises with a snap cap in the chamber and then when I was finishing up I put a full 13 round magazine into the XD and went to rack the slide. I wound up tearing a gash on my middle finger and bruising the crap out of my index finger as the slide would not move more than about an inch back, would not eject the snap cap and wouldn't pick up the fresh round.

I called customer service at Springfield this morning and they told me that due to the extreme pressure of the magazines spring when fully loaded that I probably wouldn't be able to rack the slide with a round in the chamber and a full magazine. Has anyone else ran into this issue? I haven't quite gotten to the point where I practice a lot of failure drills yet and while I had done some I had not done any that would practice the first round in the chamber failing to fire. I feel like this is a pretty big flaw in this pistol since if I were in the position that my first round would fail the fire I would have to drop the magazine to clear the chamber, then replace the magazine and rack the slide a second time to get a new round of the chamber. I'm glad I figure this out before that happened since the first time that I tried to rack the slide with one in the chamber and a full magazine I managed to injure myself pretty well.

Any thoughts out there for people with more experience with this pistol system than me? I am thinking of simply carrying 12 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber to eliminate this issue but it kind of stinks that I will miss out on that extra round in the magazine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the exact same gun, you should be able to function the weapon fully loaded. Something is not right. Remove magazine,unload it and disassemble and check if you see an obvious issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like you were not engaging the back strap safety fully.
Ahh, would not engaging the backstrap safety affect the slides ability to operate or just prevent the firing pin from falling? That doesn't seem logical to me but I am a newbie to the XD, I'll give it a whirl.

Well dad gum it if that wasn't the issue. Who would have thunk it. I am pleased as punch it was that simple, this pistol is so accurate, so powerful and so light and compact given the power and capacity ammo wise. I have never had a traditional 1911 style 45, does the backstrap safety on it prevent the slide from operating too? Whew, I am so relieved it was user error, I have really gotten attached to this pistol and was afraid I found a flaw in it. Thanks for the help Jakemd98!

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I had the same "problem" when I got my first XDm. It was because of the way I was holding the pistol, ie: not an actual shooting grip. I thought it was strange that the grip safety would lock the slide up unless it was depressed, but that seems to be the case. Is that some kind of safety feature? I'm surprised Springfield didnt mention it when you called, its the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the OP.

1911s don't work that way.

·
Registered
805 Posts
the only thing the back strap safety does is physically prevent the sear from dropping down and releasing the striker. The reason you could only pull it a half inch or so back is because when the slide cycles it requires the sear to drop down out of the way. If the back strap safety is not depressed it basically jams the sear in place and the slide will not be able to go any further back once it makes contact with the sear.

glad it was an easy fix. I really miss my XDm and will have another very soon. They are absolutely amazing fire-arms and very well designed. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
So from now on don't practice handling the firearm poorly, bad habit to get into.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
So from now on don't practice handling the firearm poorly, bad habit to get into.

I am not afraid to concede that you are much more experienced in the handling and training of handguns, but does not having one's hand on the grip safety quantify poor handling practices? I for one intentionally re-holster with the grip safety not depressed, as an added level of safety.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am not afraid to concede that you are much more experienced in the handling and training of handguns, but does not having one's hand on the grip safety quantify poor handling practices? I for one intentionally re-holster with the grip safety not depressed, as an added level of safety.

Holstering and USING a gun isn't the same thing :p

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes I had that issue when my xdm 5.25 was new. I guessed at that time that it was the magazine's spring because when I removed one or two bullets, I was able to rack the slide. After some time, the problem disappeared.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
While I'm not saying I agree with that different issue. That's how you always do it that's fine.

You should load/unload/fix malfunctions like your in a fight. Head up proper dominant hand grip(if you have to cheat up to hit mag release that's fine) in your work space.

Doing stuff with a bad grip can lead to poor muscle memory in a fight. Having a weaker grip can lead to dropping the firearm or being more readily disarmed in a fight. Or just inefficiency.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. I use all normal precautions when reholstering, but I back my hand off the grip safety.

OTOH, not being able to rack the slide without the grip safety is a nuisance and in some extreme cases could be a drawback.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Yes I had that issue when my xdm 5.25 was new. I guessed at that time that it was the magazine's spring because when I removed one or two bullets, I was able to rack the slide. After some time, the problem disappeared.
Your problem was putting "bullets" in the mag rather then ammo!

don

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
same here.
after i bought my first XD i did the same thing the OP did.
why wouldnt SACS not mention depressing the grip safety? seems odd. :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
So load the mags one rd short. No big deal. And how do you figure that something that's just .09" larger (than a little thing) is "huge"? :)

If you've missed the guy 13x, what makes you think that having one more rd is going to matter?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
So load the mags one rd short. No big deal. And how do you figure that something that's just .09" larger (than a little thing) is "huge"? :)

If you've missed the guy 13x, what makes you think that having one more rd is going to matter?
i'll bite.
for argument sake. lets just assume you are in a situation where you and the bad guy have guns pointed at each other. he has ZERO rounds....you have ONE round.
what makes you think having ONE round is going to matter?

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's not what I said. What I said was, why would 14 rds matter, when 13 rds have not, cause you've missed him 13 times. If you've missed me 13x, I"m not impressed by the fact that you've still got one rd. In fact, I'll have already shot you many times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts