Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a desert eagle 1911 G and i have not even put a bullet in the clip yet but when i put the empty clip in the gun and pull the slide back it the slide stop catches it but when i take the clip out it doesn't catch is that normal ? whats the problem?

·
21,870 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum...

Second of all its a MAG not a clip...

Third of all an empty mag will leave the slide back when you rack it...

Fourth of all anyone who doesnt know this basic fact shouldnt be shooting a weapon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Or... welcome to the forum... I would encourage you to take basic pistol class or NRA First Steps class to get familiar with your handgun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you insert an empty magazine into a 1911 platform and rack the slide the follower will engage the slide stop and lock the slide open/back.

If you remove a magazine from a 1911 platform and depress the slide stop or rack the slide the slide will return to it's closed position. It is the follower in the magazine pushing up on the slide stop that locks the slide open.

When firing a 1911 with a loaded magazine the slide will cycle until the magazine is empty, the follower will engage the slide stop and lock the slide back allowing you to drop the mag, insert another and then either release the slide by depressing the slide stop or by retracting the slide and letting it move forward under spring tension chambering a round from said magazine.

You should not let a slide on a semi-auto slam shut on an empty chamber, especially on a 1911. Ease/ride the slide forward by hand and let it go into battery gently.

Read your manual and follow the advise of the forum members and seek training in safety and use of your new firearm.

All of us had to start somewhere, be it a mentor or an instructor. Firearms are complicated and rules must be obeyed for the safety of all. Good luck.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Sounds normal to me.

An empty mag allows the mag follower to ride up and push the slide stop up and lock the slide back.

If you pull the slide back with no mag in the pistol at all....yes....the slide will not stay back and it will "go home."

If you want the slide to stay open, when you pull it back on a 1911 with no mag, you can use your thumb to push the slide stop up at the time you bring the slide back with your left hand. I do this quite often.

You would benefit greatly from going to the various 1911 web boards and reading up on the "manual of arms" on the 1911 pistol. It varies from other autos, but is easy to master, once you have messed with it for a while. Buying a copy of the old US Army Field Manual on the M1911 is also never a bad idea. they can be found online at many Army surplus dealers for 10 bucks or less.

Unlike many modern autos, the M1911 was designed back when soldiers were expected to learn and master their sidearms...not designed to fit the lowest denominator like so many guns of today.

Once you get used to and familiar with the M1911..you will probably love it's simplicity and it will be second nature. I grew up shooting Dad's duty M1911 (Dad was an MP in the Corps) so I forget how many did not grow up with this pistol and know it as I do.

Have fun, be safe and welcome to the addiction! LOL

- brickboy240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts