Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in Dons guide rod and #22 spring in my XD40 service. I am having an extremely tough time getting the slide stop lever to release after the gun empties. Most of the time I have to pull the slide back with my hand and then pull the lever down with my opposite thumb. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make this easier without ripping the skin off my thumb trying to pull it down or do I just need to wait for the spring to losen up because it worked fine before I swapped it. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
you now have a stiffer spring keeping the slide pushing foward on that slide release point. This is going to make it harder to use the slide release period. You will either need to start utilizing the slide rack method of release (which is better anyway as it gets just a little more ass behind the bullet as it strips/seat/locks) or start doing thumb curls to strengthen the thumb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should get in the habit of using the slide rack only anyway. The more your body practices this motion, the easier and quicker it will perform immediate action should you have a stoppage.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Another problem may be that your spring is too long and when the slide is back the springs coils touch each other. At this point the slide wont move back any further and it would be hard to make the slide release. To check for this empty the pistol and pull the slide as far back as it will go. Look at the slide cut where the release pops up into. Think of this as the top half of the rectangle not look at the frame you will see the bottom half of the rectangle. Your slide should go back enough to form a perfect rectangle then should move about a mm or more past the rectangle. If the slide dont move back enough to make the rectangle or even further cut a coil off the end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It make the rectangle and moves back far enough, but for some reason it is very hard to pull the lever down, most times (since my thumb is so sore) I have to push back the slide and pull the lever down.

·
Registered
370 Posts
perhaps your thumb is just sore from loading up new mags? do you have new mags that are hard to load? after a day at the range loading my fairly new 12 round mags my thumbs are killin me! My 24lb spring just arrived this week and yes it is harder to release. i can release it though just like before- no need to even shift my grip- right thumb releases it no problem. i used to work in construction so i hvae some calous on my thumb. also im a big bastad and i lift weights. maybe im just a bad ass, hahahaha! i think once that spring loosens up maybe it will be better?

ps- range report with pics on monday!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
officer_gummy said:
It make the rectangle and moves back far enough, but for some reason it is very hard to pull the lever down, most times (since my thumb is so sore) I have to push back the slide and pull the lever down.
If you have to pull the slide stop down, there is something wrong with your gun.

Either that or you are sticking empty magazines in there or something.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your gun, nor should you be doing something differect. You added 4lbs of force to your slide stop lever. Your stock guide rod and spring set is only about 18 lbs.

More force pushing slide forward=more force against slide stop lever

I bet it's harder to rack the slide back too......

My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess I'm reading his problem wrong then. To me it sounds like he pulls his slide back with one hand and releases the slide stop with the other.

I'm not under the impression that he has to force the lever down after the slide as been pulled back.

If he has to force the lever down it a whole other problem. The spring and rod have nothing to do with that lever.

The slide stop could also be pulled out a bit. Make sure it is fully seated on that retention spring and flush with the other side. If that slide stop is sitting on top of that spring it can tilt the pin and make it hard to turn.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Oh duh I forgot to say maybe your slide stop spring has slipped out of place.

To check for this: Take the slide off the frame. Take the frame and and pull the slide release up...it should come up with out any hesitation then let go of the slide release it should snap back down with authority and no hesitation.

If you have any hesitation then the spring has come undone if its normal then I will have to think about it some more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nickle1 You are correct in what I was trying to say, but ajames whether I have a full or empty mag will it make a difference? And I tried what you said about taking the slide off anf testing the level and it worked finw. Thanks for you input guys

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Well to do the test no mags involved you just want to see if the slide stop moves freely and is not cuaght on something.

Well you can put the stock assembly back in and see if it still does it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts