Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the slide release is stiffer on my sub compact than on my service. I was wondering why this might be, is it a difference in the weight of the recoil springs?

thanks

Nate

·
Registered
825 Posts
Is your SC newer than your service? If so, broken-in parts may be responsible for the difference in ease of use.

BTW, if you are using the slide release to release the slide back into battery, I would suggest racking the slide manually instead. The reason being that should you ever need to perform this action in a SD situation, the fine motor control necessary to operate the release may be unavailable to you.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Is your SC newer than your service? If so, broken-in parts may be responsible for the difference in ease of use.

BTW, if you are using the slide release to release the slide back into battery, I would suggest racking the slide manually instead. The reason being that should you ever need to perform this action in a SD situation, the fine motor control necessary to operate the release may be unavailable to you.
+1 to everything he said.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it is newer, that may be it. I actually never use the slide release when reloading, I always slingshot it so it's not really an issue, just something I noticed and was curious about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
check your magazine spring. it's brand new so you need to break in the mag inorder for it to mellow out;)

·
Registered
31 Posts

I don't understand? I have this same problem and have less than 300 rounds through my XD9SC. During a recent Women's Shooting Group at the Dallas Pistol Club, someone suggested a lighter spring or something. Very hard to rack the slide without a magazine, plus it was kinda cold.

To make it easier, she had me use an empty magazine, rack the slide open and then release the magazine. The purpose was to show the firearm was not loaded & made it easier to check after a few firing exercises.

I'd rather not mess with the specs, so hoping there is another solution or technique.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd rather not mess with the specs, so hoping there is another solution or technique.
Do you simply hold gun stationary in one hand and pull slide with the other?

If so, try the "push/pull" method.

PUSH gun away from you with left hand while PULLING slide with right hand.

Actually, you can probably rack it by just PUSHING while HOLDING with right hand. The push motion is generally stronger because you have better leverage and you're holding onto more of the gun.

This works for many folks who have trouble racking a slide, both male and female.

- OS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts