Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has shown a pretty strong preference for the XD9 our friend let her use, and we're thinking of getting her one.
A big problem for her with any centerfire auto she tries (with the exception of a target-set 1911) is that with limited hand strength, she has trouble racking the slide. She's tried a four-inch and has a bad time so far. Locking it open is sometimes beyond her.
Short of doing hand-strength exercises, are there any suggestions to help with this?
Also, does it follow that a three-incher is harder to work, and a five-incher would be easier?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Are these new guns or used ones? I noticed all the guns I tried out so far had stiff slides (the P89 and the SW99C). Anyways I had they get easier with time so maybe see if you can try out a used one at a shop and see if she can manage it. Then buy a new gun and let you rack the slide 20-30 times to break it in.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm running an 16lbs spring in my XD-40 Tactical and it's fairly easy to rack. Even with the factory 18lbs in the XD-40 Tactical I find racking the slide easier than my XD-40 Service with its factory (18lbs) spring. Not sure if that helped?

mcb

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I tried a range gun, which the guy said had at least 15,000 rounds through it, and a brand new XD back to back when I bought mine. There was a world of difference between the two. I think shooting a bit, or racking the slide a few times to the lock would be good. It probably just needs a break in. I just traded my XD 40 for a new XD 9, and the XD 9 feels tighter than the 40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The XD9 in question has about 600 rounds through it. It's stock and in perfect condition.
Compared to a 10-pound-spring 1911 or a Smith 52 Master, it's a fairly stout pull to rack it, I'd say. Compared to a standard five-inch 1911, it's still a bit harder.
That's why I was wondering if a five-inch XD9 might be softer to rack.

Bill

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cherryriver said:
My wife has shown a pretty strong preference for the XD9 our friend let her use, and we're thinking of getting her one.
A big problem for her with any centerfire auto she tries (with the exception of a target-set 1911) is that with limited hand strength, she has trouble racking the slide. She's tried a four-inch and has a bad time so far. Locking it open is sometimes beyond her.
Short of doing hand-strength exercises, are there any suggestions to help with this?
Also, does it follow that a three-incher is harder to work, and a five-incher would be easier?
Thanks
Bill
My wife had a similar problem with my XD, and I put the lighter spring in but it was little help.

The thing that worked best for us was practice and finding a position where she could really get good leverage with both hands. It's still not easy, but it is manageable.

I believe she would be able to get a better grip on a five incher.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i was going to suggest the same thing. perhaps a different grip on the slide would help. instead of thumb and index finger, use all four fingers and the palm of your hand.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
My XD40 Subcompact was pretty difficult to rack the slide at first - much more so than my SW99 and 1911A1. It was also difficult to release the slide lock at first. However 500 rounds or so later - it has become much easier - even to my female friend who barely shoots. I think that just practice at the range and use will help. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
My wife found that racking the 4 inch was a bit difficult at first but now its nothing at all for her to do. I think part of the key is to play with it and find the best technique for her and to remember that after 1000 rounds or so it will get lighter.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Parrishco said:
My XD40 Subcompact was pretty difficult to rack the slide at first - much more so than my SW99 and 1911A1. It was also difficult to release the slide lock at first. However 500 rounds or so later - it has become much easier - even to my female friend who barely shoots. I think that just practice at the range and use will help. Just my 2 cents.
Yup. I think with use it will loosen up.

PS, I just watched that movie (Collateral) not too long ago and I liked that scene... so much so that I want a USP now. :p

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
My wife has the same problem. I rack the slide with my hand on the front serrations and push my hands together. She has to hold the back serrations and push the grip away from her.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Parrishco said:
Lazarus - I know exactly what you mean - I too wanted one when I saw that movie.
It's not the gun, it's the man!!
Sure we know that but it just wouldnt have looked as good if he was using say a Ruger. (Not bashing Rugers I want a P89)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Parrishco said:
Snake-eater 1 said:
Parrishco said:
Lazarus - I know exactly what you mean - I too wanted one when I saw that movie.
So you really think you could do that with say an 1873 single action revolver?
Did you never watch John Wayne?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
Parrishco said:
Snake-eater 1 said:
Parrishco said:
So you really think you could do that with say an 1873 single action revolver?
Did you never watch John Wayne?
Touche`!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Cherryriver said:
A big problem for her with any centerfire auto she tries (with the exception of a target-set 1911) is that with limited hand strength, she has trouble racking the slide.
Technique (such as pushing the frame (grip) with one hand while pulling the slide with the other and relying more on arms and shoulders than hands and wrists) can help, as well as practice.

On the other hand, I would not rule out desire as a key factor. For example, while my wife has no difficulty with my Ruger Mk II Target, she has a hard time with all of my bigger bore semi-autos. In her case, she has no desire to learn since she can work the cylinder on her J frame Lady Smith just fine...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts