Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range a few days ago shooting my RIA 1911 and noticed that my slide did not lock back after the last round was fired. Every time.

I assume this is a problem with the slide stop? :confused: All the mags I have a marked "Colt .45 ACP" on the bottom and have never given me issues.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot it left handed and also confirm you are not limp wristing.

Also, are you using factory ammo or mouse fart loads?
Next range trip I will shoot it left handed; pretty sure I wasnt limp wristing, but I'll be sure to check myself next trip.

Ammo used was WWB.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Next range trip I will shoot it left handed; pretty sure I wasnt limp wristing, but I'll be sure to check myself next trip.

Ammo used was WWB.
Its always good to rule out the shooter if nothing looks visually broke on the gun.

Left hand will rule out grip issues with holding onto slide stop on a lot of guns

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Slide not locking back (usually) means one of a few things.

First, your magazine's follower might not be mating up with the slide stop after the slide cycles after last shot. Some lower tier 1911s come with VERY questionable mags from the factory. Try a Wilson or Chip McCormick mag before anything else. It could very well be your mag.

Kimber is notorious for putting iffy mags in their lower cost guns. However the aftermarket Kimber Tac Mags are quality units. Colt also made some iffy mags back in the mid 70s...I had one of those in my Combat Commander. Looked fine but worked terribly. Been there! LOL

Second, if the mag does not stop this....check the slide stop, itself. Some times, the slide stops are made slightly out of spec and theydon't mate up with the slide stop after the last round leaves the mag...meaning no slide-lock after the last round. This means you might need to replace the slide stop. If so, the Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop is a great drop in replacement. I had this problem in an old Colt and the Wilson unit dropped right in and totally stopped this problem.

Many lower tier 1911s get made with parts that are slightly out of spec. The slide stop is often a common part of failure. It does not have to be out of spec by very much, to cause this problem. We are talking 1000s of an inch. Sometimes, the slide will lock back while dry-cycling but not lock while shooting live ammo. Again....this is a slide stop being out of spec issue in most cases.

I seriously doubt you are limp-wristing the pistol to cause this. Often, limp-wristing a 1911 means some sort of feed jam or failure to feed....not a slide lock issue.

I also doubt an ammo problem. If the ammo is lively enough to feed, fire and eject all 7-8 times...it SHOULD be able to puch the slide back far enough to lock it back. Weak ammo usually results in feed/ejection jams....not in slide lock issues.

Good luck...that is usually not a huge problem but one that is fixed fairly easy.

- brickboy240

PS: my hunch is on the magazine being faulty and a better unit fixing your problem

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have mags marked Colt .45 auto that are knockoffs. I didn't know what to look for at the time of purchase. 2 of 3 will not lock open after the final round. You might have junk mags. I purchased some check mates but have yet to use them. Good luck and enjoy your pistol.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
first try a different magazine one you know locks a slide open (a friends) if that doesn't work hand cycle see if the magazine follower is pushing up the on the slide stop, if it isn't that part of the slide stop is too short, can't add material spend 25 bucks replace. if it does but it won't go up your dimpling on it is wrong (make sure there is pressure from the pluger tube so clean that part out as well) my ria the dimpling was wrong so it didn't lock open.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As stated I'd get some quality mags and see if that's the problem. I've never had one problem with Wilson 47D's. If that doesn't fix it then at least you have some bullet proof mags.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

First, your magazine's follower might not be mating up with the slide stop after the slide cycles after last shot. Some lower tier 1911s come with VERY questionable mags from the factory. Try a Wilson or Chip McCormick mag before anything else. It could very well be your mag.

Kimber is notorious for putting iffy mags in their lower cost guns. However the aftermarket Kimber Tac Mags are quality units. Colt also made some iffy mags back in the mid 70s...I had one of those in my Combat Commander. Looked fine but worked terribly. Been there! LOL

Second, if the mag does not stop this....check the slide stop, itself. Some times, the slide stops are made slightly out of spec and theydon't mate up with the slide stop after the last round leaves the mag...meaning no slide-lock after the last round. This means you might need to replace the slide stop. If so, the Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop is a great drop in replacement. I had this problem in an old Colt and the Wilson unit dropped right in and totally stopped this problem.

Many lower tier 1911s get made with parts that are slightly out of spec. The slide stop is often a common part of failure. It does not have to be out of spec by very much, to cause this problem. We are talking 1000s of an inch. Sometimes, the slide will lock back while dry-cycling but not lock while shooting live ammo. Again....this is a slide stop being out of spec issue in most cases.

I seriously doubt you are limp-wristing the pistol to cause this. Often, limp-wristing a 1911 means some sort of feed jam or failure to feed....not a slide lock issue.

I also doubt an ammo problem. If the ammo is lively enough to feed, fire and eject all 7-8 times...it SHOULD be able to puch the slide back far enough to lock it back. Weak ammo usually results in feed/ejection jams....not in slide lock issues.

Good luck...that is usually not a huge problem but one that is fixed fairly easy.

- brickboy240

PS: my hunch is on the magazine being faulty and a better unit fixing your problem
This right here is your solution. I dropped in a S&W slide release and it fixed the same problem.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yep...check the mag first.

Its the cheapest and easiest to check. Plus, if you are going to get into shooting the 1911, you will be buying Wilson or McCormick mags SOME DAY...might as well do it now.

Then, if the mag does not solve the issue....replace the slide stop.

I would not try filing the back side of the stock unit. I did this with my Colt and was VERY light and careful. For my efforts, I wound up with a pistol that never locked the slide back and had to replace it anyways.

One call to Wilson and nothing more than pulling the old stop out and putting the new one in, and 5 years later, this problem never came back.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to agree with most of the posters that the magazine is your problem, if not, then check the slide stop..........................

Another quality magazine you might consider is Tripp Research. They make a True eight round magazine that works flawlessly...........I prefer them even over the Wilson's!

TR:cool:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update after 2 months of hardly any shooting time....
Finally got a chance to hit the range with a Chip McCormick mag feeding the beast. 200rds of TulAmmo later, no issues. Slide locks after every last round. Looks like I'll be shelving the other mags and buying a few more CMCs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Also double check to make sure your thumb or some other extremity isn't resting on the slide stop while shooting.
That happened to me a few times when I was learning the thumbs forward grip that Magpul teaches and I keep putting my thumb right on the slide release without noticing

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Some lower tier 1911s...

Kimber is notorious for putting iffy mags in their lower cost guns...

I had this problem in an old Colt.

Many lower tier 1911s get made with parts that are slightly out of spec.
:razz:

Interesting perspective here. I have an RIA Tactical FS .45 that has not had a single issue...ever. Perhaps the whole thing is slightly out of spec enough to function perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been having a similar problem too with my Dlask 1911 .40 S&W. I bought it used and it came with three Mec-Gar magazines. I know for fact one of them is junk because the follower has this funny habit of shifting the slide lock slightly out of position. I also had a couple of failure to feeds, but that could've been the mags or just my fault.

I have some Tripp Cobra mags on route and can't wait to see if these fix my general problems.

Ah, the joys of owning used firearms, finding out the little quirks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Update after 2 months of hardly any shooting time....
Finally got a chance to hit the range with a Chip McCormick mag feeding the beast. 200rds of TulAmmo later, no issues. Slide locks after every last round. Looks like I'll be shelving the other mags and buying a few more CMCs.
Just swap out the follows and springs with Wilson or cmc followers and spring. I do this all the time. I buy a cheap mag around 7 bucks and buy a Wilson follower and spring for 7 bucks. For 15 bucks I have a 25 dollar mag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.