Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XD for about a year now and have put thousands of rounds through it with out any hiccup. This last weekend, the slide failed to stay locked open after the final shot. It didnt happen every time, but it did happen about 3 or 4 times which is 3 to 4 times too many. What do you think is the problem. I field stripped it and cleaned it real well and everything seems to be functioning properly. Any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
my first thought is that your thumb may be hitting slide lock? its positioning makes it a super comfortable thumb rest if you're not careful to avoid it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you have not suddenly changed your grip, then what ammo are you using? It may be underpowered.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using some remington and some winchester white box both 180gr. I have never had this problem before and have used many different brands. Using same grip and i dont think that i know that i am not hitting the slide lock. I dont know whats going wrong

·
Registered
109 Posts
You might try eliminating the obvious first and see if the slide lock is worn at the contact area or maybe the slide lock spring may be getting weak.

Just thinkin' out loud...

·
Registered
324 Posts
The times that I've had this problem, it was the slide stop that was worn. The magazines were pushing the stop upward but the wear on the part was causing it not to hook up.

I'm sure it's a cheap part. God Knows it's easy to replace!

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 on the thumb holding down your slide stop lever.

I swore I wasn't hitting mine, but I was. Make a conscious effort to not hit it or shoot left handed. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me it's usually my thumb on the slide release but, it can also be weak magazine springs. Wolf replacement springs fixed mine.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I would investigate in this order. 99% of the cases are found in the first few causes...

#1 - thumb on slide release
#2 - thumb on slide release
#3 - thumb on slide release
#4 - thumb on slide release
#5 - thumb on slide release
#6 - dirty magazine
#7 - thumb on slide release
#8 - weak magazine spring
#9 - thumb on slide release
#10 - worn slide stop

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this thread after I completed my CHL class yesterday. During qualification, my weapons slide did not lock back after rounds were expended...twice! This 3.8 9mm Compact is relatively new, with only 200 or so rounds through it. The magazine that was is in the weapon when the malfunctions occured was the extended mag....Wondering if the mag is defective? Thoughts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the issue once, when I realized I was resting my thumb on the slide release, I adjusted my grip, I put my thumb over my support hand, that way I
1. don't hit the slide release
2. don't squeeze the gun too hard with my thumb

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 for checking your mags

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found this thread after I completed my CHL class yesterday. During qualification, my weapons slide did not lock back after rounds were expended...twice! This 3.8 9mm Compact is relatively new, with only 200 or so rounds through it. The magazine that was is in the weapon when the malfunctions occured was the extended mag....Wondering if the mag is defective? Thoughts?
It happened to me too on one of my extended mags first day at the range even wrote it up in my review. Gonna mark the magazine and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I would investigate in this order. 99% of the cases are found in the first few causes...

#1 - thumb on slide release
#2 - thumb on slide release
#3 - thumb on slide release
#4 - thumb on slide release
#5 - thumb on slide release
#6 - dirty magazine
#7 - thumb on slide release
#8 - weak magazine spring
#9 - thumb on slide release
#10 - worn slide stop
This ^

I would say 98% are cured with the first 5 trouble-shooting steps outlined above.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ran about 150 rounds through my new xdm .45 4.5" and experienced the same trouble from time to time. I was shooting with some friends and it rarely happened when they shot it. Discovered two things:
1- I had started rested my thumb on the release, but put that an end to that. Slide still closed once or twice.
2- During cleaning I noticed that if I removed the upper and inserted an empty mag into the well (reminder to always separate your ammo from your weapon during cleaning) I could closely watch the slide release function. I noticed that some grease had gummed up under the release arm and this caused it to operated more slowly. You can poke the follower down and then release it and watch the release arm engage. I cleaned out the grease and VERY lightly oiled the part. It immediate snaps into position now. I'll post my next range findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know I'm new but, you said you've shot thousands of rounds and this just started happening? To me it sounds like the mag spring could be the issue. Just using deductible reasoning. Like I said I'm a newb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, it seems everyone has stated the most probable causes. I had a habit of bringing my thumb down on the slide release, causing it to return to battery after the last round was fired. Even when I tried to consciously avoid it, it happened, nearly after every mag fired. I should mention that this problem was with my XD9 Tac with thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. I replaced all the mag springs (they were all original and very [very] worn) with Wolff +5's, and it has been running 100% since.

Springs are pretty cheap if bought in sets of three, I would recommend changing them all. Even if it is only one acting up, the rest will probably follow close behind, if they've been used an equal amount.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts