Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having trouble in IDPA lately with the slide not locking back for slide lock reloads. I have looked at my thumb after drawing and it didn't seem to contact the slide lock.
This morning, I took a video. Out of 1 of 9 draws, with 1 round in the magazine, it finally happened. Sure enough, the thumb, on the strong hand, wasn't contacting the slide stop...that is, until recoil and sure enough, when the slide was back, it did.
Mystery solved...now I just have to work on my drawing grip again.
I'm going to try to post the video.

I believe it's .125 regular speed. I had to watch it frame by frame to see it.
XDmslidelock_zps2aeb5305.mp4 Video by robport | Photobucket

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. A ton of people have that same problem, but blame the gun. I'm glad you took the time to analyze it!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A buddy of mine was having the same issue, I told him it was probably his thumb. Sure enough when he started paying closer attention the problem was solved. Nine times out of ten this solves the problem...some will never admit that it could be them!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thanks for posting.
While once in a while it IS either a broken Slide Lock tab, or a Mag Follower issue, MANY times it's the user and a lot of folks don't like to hear that it's due to 'the nut behind the trigger' ;).
Good to hear that you took time to properly Analyze the situation. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting.
While once in a while it IS either a broken Slide Lock tab, or a Mag Follower issue, MANY times it's the user and a lot of folks don't like to hear that it's due to 'the nut behind the trigger' ;).
Good to hear that you took time to properly Analyze the situation. :)

I can really appreciate people feeling that way, especially this time. If I hadn't run the video almost frame by frame, I wouldn't have seen it, since it happened when the slide was back. Statically, it still looked close, but OK.
I happened to be looking for it specifically, after reading a bunch of posts about it. Now to get used to the new strong hand position and slow the draw down again to start over. That should be fun...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine does that all the time. Shooter error, at least for. I'm used to shooting a 1911 and having my strong hand thumb riding the safety. Having to relearn the grip on this one!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's interesting. Come to think about it, my slide lock problem started about the time I got my 1911!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
A buddy of mine was having the same issue, I told him it was probably his thumb. Sure enough when he started paying closer attention the problem was solved. Nine times out of ten this solves the problem...some will never admit that it could be them!

Oh that's not true... It's probably closer to 9999 times out of 10,000! :lol:

It is amazing how quick the gun gets the blame when the thumb misbehaves!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. My 5.25 has been dong this lately and I searched the forum for an answer. This never even crossed my mind. But it did start after some training and a grip adjustment. I'll have to try again today when I head out.

Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adjusted my grip and not one problem. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts