Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever notice if their slide moves up and down ever so slightly when you start to feel the trigger pull ? I have an XD-9 SC and it does this towards the rear of the firearm when I practice dry firing. I am not sure if it does it with one in the chamber.

just wondering :roll:

BOB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheWillis said:
Haven't noticed, but I usually dry fire with one in the chamber.
Yep, I think I would have noticed this while at the range. I sure wish I had a snap cap to test with.

Note to self... add 9mm snap cap to gun show list :idea:

BOB

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yes, because of tolerances the slide may have some play. The only real lock up between the slide and frame is with the slide and locking block. The rear rails are not really there to provide a lot of real tightness. If the slide were to tight then you would notice a lot of wear on the rear polymer rails. Now there are several techniques including the old 1911 way of squeezing the slides rails on the slide for tighter slide to locking block fit. But this can cause rear rail wear. Another way would be to add material to the locking block rails or grooves to the slide and lap everything into place for a tight fit. Other then that remember this is a "combat" pistol not a target one so some play is to be expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ajamesp51 said:
Yes, because of tolerances the slide may have some play. The only real lock up between the slide and frame is with the slide and locking block. The rear rails are not really there to provide a lot of real tightness. If the slide were to tight then you would notice a lot of wear on the rear polymer rails. Now there are several techniques including the old 1911 way of squeezing the slides rails on the slide for tighter slide to locking block fit. But this can cause rear rail wear. Another way would be to add material to the locking block rails or grooves to the slide and lap everything into place for a tight fit. Other then that remember this is a "combat" pistol not a target one so some play is to be expected.
Makes sense to me, I was just making sure since I bought this piece used. The rails still look to be in great shape. First thing I checked was to see if they were worn down or gouged even. Glad to read that this is normal. I love my XD, I sleep with it every night :lol:

BOB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts