Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place for this. I am new to the forum. I purchased and installed the PRP Ultimate easy trigger. After installation, i noticed that when dry firing, the rear bit of the slide drops down slightly. I do not recall this occurring with the factory trigger and it does not occur on my other xdm. Is this an issue?

Note, the gun has roughly two thousand rounds through it.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Yeah.

I can't elaborate, but vertical movement of the slide is not a "feature" on any semiauto pistol...something is wonky.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Your rails have a little play. One of my Glocks has a little.

When the striker isnt cocked, it's not pushing up on the frame anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I did some more dry firing and it seemed to diminish. Everything seems to be fine so I'll take it to the range over the weekend.

This is what PRP had to say.
"Yeah that can happen with the Xdm, factory or with our parts. It is the slide to frame fit and the impulse of the striker. Nothing to worry about there, it happens with most Xd pistols and has no side effects. "

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
It is not a custom super fitted slide and all pistols like XD/M&P/Glock will have slide movement. You can recreate it by wiggling the slide on the frame with your hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'm sure I just never noticed the movement before as I had no reason to really take close interest until after installing a new part.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Engineering tolerances to ensure reliability .... reworded: there has to be some slip slop or the thing won't work everytime ;)

For mass production every in spec part must fit with every in spec mating part.

Higher end guns have tighter tolerances because more money allows more precise matching and hand fitting.

Reactions: DevJames

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exactly. This is why a hand fitted 1911 costs a few grand new, and a Springfield XD Mod 2 costs around $449 new. I've had other pistos that did this also. Hopefully the original poster is okay with the slide to frame fit :cool:

If it isn't broke, don't fix it...

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It's normal guys. See my above post.

Rail fitment is one of the last things critical to accuracy of a pistol.
also a great point, worth expanding on for those who may not know. On the various XD variants, glocks, 1911, etc the barrel locks up with slide (varying degrees of tolerance there), we sight along slide .... so slop between slide and frame has no impact on point of aim (and therefore accuracy)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I spoke to the gunsmith at PRP, today. He explained to me that, with an empty gun, you'll see the slide dip. But with a full magazine, the bullet is spring loaded against the underside of the slide, in which case it won't dip when the trigger is pulled. Well duh! I wish I had thought of that! I think I'm done thinking about this, now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I spoke to the gunsmith at PRP, today. He explained to me that, with an empty gun, you'll see the slide dip. But with a full magazine, the bullet is spring loaded against the underside of the slide, in which case it won't dip when the trigger is pulled. Well duh! I wish I had thought of that! I think I'm done thinking about this, now.
This is correct. I too, am done thinking about this. Dead thread! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts