Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first XD, a .40 Sub-compact, this past Monday. That evening I cleaned and oiled it as I have every pistol before firing it for the first time. The next day I headed to the range at the store to get comfortable with my newest possession.

I started with the standard 9-round clip and Winchester 165 FMJ from Wally World. Once per clip or two, the slide would lock open and would need to be pulled back and released to chamber the round.

When I switched to the extended clip, 10-rounds here in California, I noted that it was much easier to load with what seemed to be a weaker spring.

With the extended clips (I had purchased one extra already), the slide would lock open every 3 or 4 rounds. After 200 rounds, I gave up on it being a break-in problem and headed home. Again I cleaned and lubed the pistol, this time being a bit more liberal with application just to change things up.

Headed back to the range with the 165 FMJ, and some Winchester 180 FMJ, Winchester 165 JHP, Remington 165 JHP and left over 180 FMJ range reloads.

The XD continued to have the same slide locking open problems regardless of ammo with the occurrence still much more frequent with the extended clip. At this time, I rounded up one of the range instructors and the store's gunsmith and they both experienced the same problems with the slide locking open every few rounds. The gunsmith surmised that the spring on the slide release is weak and that the release lever is moving up under recoil.

So tomorrow, the pistol heads back to its birthplace. My questions are:

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is is normal for the extended clip to have a much weaker spring than the standard clip?

How does something like this get past QC?

Thanks. Sorry to make my first post a problem report.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
By the way, they aren't clips, they are magazines........;)

I would make sure your grip is adjusted properly and you're not pushing the slide stop up as you shoot.
Believe it or not, that is a common problem for some shooting the XD for the first time.
Or it could be what you stated, a weak slide stop spring.
Check it out, let us know.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read about the possibility of pushing up the slide stop after the first day at the range and verified that I was not near touching it.

The range instructor carries and regularly shoots an XD so I doubt he would have a problem with his grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem also with my XD 40 sc. It would lock the slide after like 3 or 4 rounds using the extended mag, but with the 9 rd mags i have no problems at all. Have anyone here on the forum know about this? Has anyone found a solution or what is even causing this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Even though you "verified" it, and a range instructor shot it, it could still be your thumb. I did the same thing at the beginning and I swore it wasn't my thumb, but it was. Having a range instructor shoot it is good, but fine grip changes can be needed for different pistols. So if he used his "regular" grip, he could still bump the slide lock while shooting a XD if he is not familiar with XDs.

That said, it could be the magazines. Weckod mentioned it only happened with one mag and not the other, that definitely sounds like a magazine issue. Contact SA and report the problem, and that it happens with only that one magazine. Hopefully they will replace it for you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did the same thing too the first time I shot my 40sc. It was my thumb pushing up on the slide lock.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I doubt that the slide stop spring is the problem, never seen it happen. Sounds more like the extended mag has bit of wiggle which is causing it to push the slide stop up. What kind of grip do you use?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
WHenever this happens people always say "thumb". But the issue *some* (not all) XD 40s have is that they use the same slide stop mechanizm as the XD 9s. The 40 is a larger round and sometimes the bullets will cycle in the mag off-center and tick against the magazine lock.

I had this problem on my XD40 - I even shot it with my thumbs completely off the grip just to be sure. Then I installed a thumb rest to be doubly sure. The slide would still lock back prematurely. I have since filed down the post on the slide stop that engages the magazine and have had much less issue with it.

The last time I was at the range, I removed my thumb rest, and was able to make it stick prematurely with my thumb, and also fail to lock on the last round with my thumb. It was pretty easy to notice when I made the mistake, and it generally happened during rapid fire.

This link explains more: Premature Slide Lock with the XD-40:Causes & Possible Cure

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first time I shot my XD=40 with the extended grip magazine, the slide locked open after 3 or 4 shots. I found that I was griping the gun too tight and my hand was caucking & squezing the magazine loose somehow at the base. After I adjusted my grip the problem went away. I have shot over 3000 rounds since with no problems. The 9 shot mag never was an issue. No tendincy to over grip with the shorter handle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem occurs at the same frequency, 2 or 3 times per full magazine, with two (2) 10-round extended magazines.

The problem is consistent for three (3) different shooters.

The problem is consistent firing two-hand, one-hand and left-handed.

It aint my grip folks.

It is scary though to read that some people have the same problem if they grip the pistol too tightly. How do you suppose you will grip the pistol when your life is actually threatened and your adrenalin is cranked up?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree, it's not your grip...

It sounds to me that something is causing the magazine to push the catch up. Try using the regular mags and see if that helps. If it turns out to be the extended mags then I'd say you should either get/try another one or just use the regular mags. An extended mag does you little good if it stops you from firing...

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts