Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in obtaining an xd pistol 4 inch in .40 caliber, but I have read that in the .40 has problems with the bullet contacting the slide lock which can lock the gun open during firing. Apparently the slide lock does not have as much clearance with the bullet in the cartridge in .40 as it does with the 9mm. I came upon an article in which bullets were blackened with a marker and showed definite marks from the slide lock. Has this problem been corrected? Is there an aftermarket fix? Any info would be appreciated.
ty--- Ian

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've put 300 rounds through mine with no problems. Others have put much more. If you have problems with the gun Springfield should fix it with the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have well over 5000 rounds through a pair of XD-40s (one service one tactical). I have used mine a lot for USPSA competition and I have never had a premature slide lock, ever.

JM$0.02
mcb

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think 99% of the time that a you get a premature slide lock on the XD, your thumb has moved up and "bumped" it while shooting. It happened to me. I paid attention to my thumb placement and it went away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went shooting today and it happend to me and it has to be the thumb thing . this is the best gun i have ever owned . xd 40 sc

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here you go Ian- aftermarket mod is at the end of the article.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15563&highlight=

I probably have close to 2500 round through my XD-40 since I wrote this up, and the one & only time I have locked the slide back since then, was when I let my thumb get up on the slide stop once.

Also FWIW I am a firearms training officer for a small dept. and we had a qualification in June. Two of guys had bought new XD-40's, and both of them managed to thumb the slide lock up on their first mag or two. Once I corrected their grip, the problem went away. I did examine one of the guns pretty closely and it looked to me like SFA might have actually changed the inner profile of the slide lock just a bit, on the .40 cal guns.

I did only look at ONE gun though, so this is no solid proof that SFA changed the production specs for Croatia. You should measure yours carefully before you start grinding on anything, and it might pay to call SFA and ask them what the specs of that part should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not always the thumb in the way - recently my XD 357 started doing it mid-magazine. I have a low grip so immediately I was suspicious that I was the culprit. I have a machine rest available to me, so a friend and I put it in the rest and shot about 200 rounds.

I experienced 4 premature lock-backs, in the machine rest.

It's NOT my thumb.

I haven't had time to diagnose the problem yet, but I've eliminated the thumb being a part of it. The article posted above shows the slide-release coming close to hitting the bullets in the magazine. I see generous clearance on mine, so I'm mystified but if I can't figure it out I'll have Springfield fix it. Frustrating, as up till now this gun has been a terrific runner.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've got just over 300 rnds. through mine and haven't had any slide lock malfunctions or ftf or ftes. It's been flawless so far, knock on polymer!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem is not always with the thumb. My XD40 will lock open mid magazine just about every time while shooting Federal Classic in 155 grain JHP. Federal 155 grain JHP (non-classic) will feed with zero problems. OK, everything other than Federal Classic in 155 grain JHP works flawlessly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
even though there are soo many people out there "that never had problems".. occasionaly they do surface. im not sure how long ago i read about this here.. but it has been covered.. and someone suggested filing a very miniscule amount of material off of the slide lock lever where it contacts the mag... i once had this problem as well.. but once my mags broke in.. and i bent the lips in just a tad it went away. i was also told to not let my thumb wander.. but seeing as how i have a pressure pad for a laser/ illuminator well below the slide catch.. i knew this was not my problem.. ill see if i can find the post where this was covered... and get a link for you
ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts