Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting my 4 inch 45 GAP and I love it. But at least once or twice every 100 rounds the slide will lock back and not chamber another round. When I hit the slide release it racks one in the chamber. Whats up? My mags? I wouldnt think its my shooting style. Its never happened to any other handgun I've had. I was using WWB ammo. Any ideas? My XD was spotless and it happened in less than 50 rounds. Next time it shoots I'm going to mark the mag and see if it might just be the one mag causing me problems.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Look on the bottom of the slide stop and see if there is any copper residue on it. The bullets might be bumping it on the way up. That or you might be bumping the slide stop with your thumb during recoil. That is what I would look for.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Since it only happens every once and a while I bet your hitting it with your thumb. The Gap mags have the newer follower, plus if it were the mag then it would happen every mag.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have to almost say 100% that I'm not hitting it with my thumb but next time I go to the range I will have to be more observant. It could be my thumb though. I changed up my grip towards the end and I was much more accurate. Maybe that will cure it. :?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this exact problem with a Taurus PT140 sub compact. I am eager to see what you find the probelm is. I think 40SWXDSHOOTER mentioned the best possible reason that seems to happen if thier is even the slightest wiggle room with a mag.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I was hoping it was XD related, since I'm a perfect shooter :lol: I never had a problem with my 40 Service. I hold the gun with my right hand and changed the postion of my thumb on my left hand so I will see if that changes anything. Everything on my GAP is pretty tight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I was hoping it was XD related, since I'm a perfect shooter :lol: I never had a problem with my 40 Service. I hold the gun with my right hand and changed the postion of my thumb on my left hand so I will see if that changes anything. Everything on my GAP is pretty tight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that article. One thing I have noticed is that when i shoot the GAP versus my .40 sub, the GAP gets really dirty. It looks like I have never cleaned the gun after 100 rounds. I wonder if crud could build up on the slide lock?? Looks like I have some investigating to do next range trip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most likely it's your left thumb. I had no problems with mine and when I let my friend shoot it the first mag he shot it locked opened the 2nd round. I told him to change his thumb position and no more problems. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was using a brand new XD9 Tact. for a class and could not get the slide to lock back after the last round. It drove me crazy. Of course I said it could not be me, I have been shooting and competing for 30 years.
Well, it was me. The base of my thumb was actually contacting the stop/release enough to hold it in place so on the last round it was stationary. I actually removed metal from it to help because I do not want to alter the way I shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts