Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to keep firing while using careful thumb discipline. If it locks and I am 100% certain I didn't induce it, I'm going to try changing the spring.
If SA caused this you'd think it would be happening routinely. Intermittent issues are the most fun to diagnose.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
^ Now it's time to have someone run you really hard, hard enough that you'd forget to keep-clear....to see if that does recur.

For a while, I started running a really aggressively forward support-hand grip, and I started tripping the slide-lock.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I was pretty good at keeping my thumb clear of the slide lock and did not encounter problems. However, whenever I followed up shooting an XD after shooting a 1911, it was a GUARANTEE that my thumb would end up in the "wrong" position because I ride the thumb safety when I shoot a 1911. I'd shoot through a magazine and the slide would not lock back and I'd say some bad words and go from there knowing exactly what I had done.

You might have someone video your shooting, close up on the hands and review after each magazine to say "this is where the video says your hand placement is, where do you feel it? That kind of feedback is helpful on any physical endeavor. Glad it's not an intermittent problem with the gun, as you pointed out those types of problems are a pain in anything. And thanks for keeping us updated. I always try to learn vicariously.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update, I have definitively determined this is self-inflicted, I had a friend film me shooting some practice, and he clearly caught my thumb against the lock, and the slide locking back. I'd post the video here if there was a way, but it's clear. On the bright side, I shot a match last Saturday, 5 stages and as I am now aware of this I have been making a conscious effort to train myself to keep my thumb out of the way, and as a result only had one unplanned slide lock on the first stage. Thanks again for the input.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts