Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[Edit: moved from necro thread] I'm having this problem on a relatively new, less than a year and a few thousand rounds, XDM OSP. First I had a failed extractor, I sent it back for that and they fixed it, and then the premature slide lock issue started as soon as I began using it after that repair. Slide periodically locks back on a mag that is not empty. I use for IDPA so the malfunctions are really annoying in competition (and real-world too of course). I sent it back to Springfield and they said they could not duplicate the problem, I insisted they try and they kept it for a while longer and still said it isn't malfunctioning. I love shooting the gun and it fits my hand just right but I'm on the verge of moving to my Glock 19 for IDPA. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS
Photo of it when this occurs available but not sure if this is helpful, it's a slide locked back with a mag that's not empty.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I realize this thread has been dormant for a while but I'm having this problem on a relatively new, less than a year and a few thousand rounds, XDM OSP. .... I love shooting the gun and it fits my hand just right but I'm on the verge of moving to my Glock 19 for IDPA. Any suggestions?
You're a relatively experienced shooter, it's reading like, would I be correct in this assessment?

If so, are you absolutely positive that you're not triggering the slide-stop with either your dominant-hand (if you're right-handed) thumb tip or your support (left) hand's thenar eminence?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am an experienced shooter, I shoot weekly and i compete, but I have asked myself this question and here's why I believe the answer is no.

I have an XDM Elite, which is virtually identical to the OSP, it does not have this issue when I shoot it.

The problem only manifested itself after I sent the OSP back to SA to repair the extractor.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
^ I wonder if during re-assembly they somehow tweaked the slide-stop lever spring, didn't reinstall properly, or perhaps even missed it completely, thus causing the slide-stop to randomly engage under-recoil?

With the slide off the gun, when you press the slide-stop "up" (i.e. as you would engage it into the slide, had the slide been in-place), is there good spring pressure returning the slide-stop back down into the frame?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
What else could be inconsistently bumping, then? <----- genuine question, asking you to brainstorm with me. :)

Can you be absolutely positive that you're seeing this across multiple magazines?

----

Another possibility, cribbed from my ARs: since the two guns are essentially the same, what happens when you "swap lowers?"

Does the trouble follow with the same frame?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually tried swapping lowers during a match last week, the problem follows the lower, so the Elite lower does not do it, but I have not shot that frame nearly as much as the OSP.
I have tried four different mags, all do it. Sometime it happens after 10 rounds, other times after 100.
I'm going to take it out for a drive today and put 100 rnds through it, while being very careful about hand placement, and will report back. Now I'm wondering.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
So we can at least isolate to the lower. That's something! (y)

Do me another favor when you go - make sure you're shooting the same ammo, too. IIRC, somewhere in gun-dom, there were instances where specific incoming cartridges were actually bumping against the slide-stop (the stack doesn't feed as smoothly as we'd think it would, there's actually some "bouncing around" in there, live and real-time, is my understanding). I'd like to at least take the ammo and magazine possibilities out of the equation.

If we can also knock out the hand/thumb issue, that would be great, too.

If it keeps going like this, my next question to you would be how comfortable are you stripping the gun down to base components: I'd like to pursue swapping out first the slide-stops between the pistols, and then the slide-stop lever springs, to see at which point (if any) the trouble follows. Removing the locking block and swapping these components can occur range-side if you're mechanically savvy, but I'd totally understand if you'd rather not!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been using a combination of professional reloads and new ammo but only factory new CCI for competition, and since I've been troubleshooting this problem.

I'm comfortable with a deeper stripping down and swapping of parts if this turns out to be otherwise unresolvable.

Will report, testing tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
^ Cool. Hope you get this solved today! :)

Here's that weirdness with the cartridge/slide-stop that I talked about above: P-09 in .40, constant premature locking of the slide in open position

My XDms are all pretty old, so I don't have the modern variants to help troubleshoot, I'm afraid - but on mine, that second cartridge (from the top) in the stack is where I can see potential issues arising. Static, there's really not enough play anywhere for there to even remotely be an issue, but if I press down on the top cartridge of the stack to simulate live-feeding, I can wedge that incoming second-from-top cartridge over towards the slide-stop enough that I can see where if the slide stop's internal protrusion toward the base-pad was just ever so much slightly out-of-spec (i.e. longer) or if the bullet a bit wider/differently contoured, I could potentially see a scenario where there could be early/unintentional activation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting re. the P-09, sounds like much the same thing.

After cleaning the gun tonight I painted the slide release button orange, as a reminder to keep my thumb away from it while firing.

If this fails to occur during practice but does occur during a match, I'll be forced to conclude this is a thumb interference issue, which is more likely to occur in the heat of competition.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Can a range-partner induce enough stress in you? Either by running you hard through static drills or by forcing you to go through dynamic drills at a higher pace (if range rules allow)?

May be able to flush this one through before the next match. :)

I was thinking about suggesting timer, but I'd bet you're experienced enough that you can't get enough stress out of a few beeps close to your ears. ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’m not sure how much a slide stop and spring would cost, but I can’t imagine it would be a lot? If the problem persists, it may be worth it to just swap out the part for new and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can a range-partner induce enough stress in you? Either by running you hard through static drills or by forcing you to go through dynamic drills at a higher pace (if range rules allow)?

May be able to flush this one through before the next match. :)

I was thinking about suggesting timer, but I'd bet you're experienced enough that you can't get enough stress out of a few beeps close to your ears. ;)
I can do this, and I do use a timer. I practice with a buddy between matches, simulating stages and always using a timer, going to try to meet with him this week. I have had the malfunction in practice sessions of that sort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m not sure how much a slide stop and spring would cost, but I can’t imagine it would be a lot? If the problem persists, it may be worth it to just swap out the part for new and see what happens.

Agreed, I'll happily invest in this in order to regain confidence in using this gun. I'm very comfortable with this pistol, I'd hate to ditch it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Agreed, I'll happily invest in this in order to regain confidence in using this gun. I'm very comfortable with this pistol, I'd hate to ditch it.
Whatever you decide, hopefully you get it resolved without much more headache.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I’m a little late here but maybe you could swap out the parts from your elite. If I remember correctly the spring has a small leg on it that fits into a hole in the frame block. Maybe they got that buggered up when they re-assembled it. But actually they shouldn’t have had that apart. You could also expand the spring a bit while it’s apart or compare it to your other gun. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts