Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys experienced this issue with your XDm?

I cleaned her up last week and detailed everything.

I only have maybe 800 rounds through the gun.

At the range, the groups were very tight. But the slide just didn't consistently lock after the last round was fired. Maybe 50% of the time.

Cycling by hand on an empty mag, the slide always locks back. But when firing rounds it's acting up.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Are you using factory ammo? If not try factory full load ammo

Otherwise
Its your thumb....shoot it left handed or cut off your right thumb to confirm.

Adjust you grip and make sure your thumb is down away from the slide release and keep shooting

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably right and I'm a moron for not thinking of that.

In my zeal for cleaning the gun, I was afraid that I might have done some damage or altered the functioning of the gun.

Sometimes the most logical explanation is the correct one.

Thanks.

:oops:

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Probably right and I'm a moron for not thinking of that.

In my zeal for cleaning the gun, I was afraid that I might have done some damage or altered the functioning of the gun.

Sometimes the most logical explanation is the correct one.

Thanks.

:oops:
Not a true moron, true morons argue for 35 posts before going to the range and realizing it was their thumb after all and don't come back to admit it.

Its actually a fairly common question here.

98% of the time, it is indeed your thumb.

Good lookin out and have fun at the range!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a true moron, true morons argue for 35 posts before going to the range and realizing it was their thumb after all and don't come back to admit it.

Its actually a fairly common question here.

98% of the time, it is indeed your thumb.

Good lookin out and have fun at the range!
I'm so used to shooting my 1911's that I let my right thumb ride very high on the left side of the frame. Like I'm holding down the thumb safety on the 1911.

I took at trip to the range to chrono some experimental loads. I'm shooting a 100% stock XDm 45 in a local combat match and a local steel match. Factory loads are too hot to shoot fast compared to the 9mm guys with their powered down ammo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok guys not tryin to hijack the thread but i have an XDM .40 and my slide never locks back now, after firing the last round it will not lock by hand it wont lock back (unless locked manually) anyone have any idea whats wrong???

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
ok guys not tryin to hijack the thread but i have an XDM .40 and my slide never locks back now, after firing the last round it will not lock by hand it wont lock back (unless locked manually) anyone have any idea whats wrong???
Try a new mag, if it still won't lock back check for crud in the frame or a worn latch.

don

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
This is one thing I wasnt fond of on my XDm... the spring is so dang light that you can literally be barely touching the slide release and it wont lock back... the XD doesnt seem to have as light of a spring as I've never had the same problem shooting one of them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You're correct biofuels. Im a lefty and when I shoot right handed the slide never locks back. I realize its my thumb+lack of support hand training. But the slide locks everytime when I shoot lefty, don't ask how long it took to decide I wasn't limp wristing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after trying again at the range, it wasn't my thumb.

The mag follower spring must not be pushing the slide lock up hard enough or fast enough to catch. Or so I suspect...

So I disassembled my mags to clean them and check for any problems. They were nearly spotless.

But one thing caught my attention. The mag follower springs in all 3 mags feel quite soft.

When I took the baseplate off the mag, this is how much the spring stuck out. Does that look like it would produce a sufficient amount of spring tension to function the slide lock properly?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had this issue with a brand new XDm 3.8 compact. The issue presented itself with multiple shooters, brands of ammunition, and magazines but people kept beating to death it was my thumb that was the issue.

Sent it in to SA and they fixed it right up saying that the gun was too dry(not sure how or why but whatever) they cleaned and lubricated it which we had done twice and seemed to fix the problem immediately.

Check your thumb and if you're sure that's not it, send it in. SA has a pretty quick turn around but make sure you fully explain the issue and follow up when they've got the gun as they almost fixed an issue I wasn't experiencing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think I've narrowed the problem down to insufficient mag follower spring pressure.

For a temporary, experimental fix, I stretched the springs out a bit. Maybe a half inch at rest. Headed to the range. All three mags locked the slide with no incidents.

So how should I approach SA for this problem? Just call them and ask them to send me 3 mag follower springs?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Well, I think I've narrowed the problem down to insufficient mag follower spring pressure.

For a temporary, experimental fix, I stretched the springs out a bit. Maybe a half inch at rest. Headed to the range. All three mags locked the slide with no incidents.

So how should I approach SA for this problem? Just call them and ask them to send me 3 mag follower springs?
Call them and tell them you have 3 mags that are not reliable....they may send you the springs, or ask you to send the bad mags back and send you new ones

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I contacted SA this morning by phone and described what was happening. Although they were professional and courteous, I was disappointed in their answer.

They would not ship me 3 replacement magazine springs. Or even sell me replacement mag springs. I was informed that Springfield does not sell magazine parts; only complete magazines.

They offered to ship the magazines back to SA on their dime and they will inspect and replace as needed.

Which means that I won't be able to use the pistol for however long the mags are gone. It could take 10-14 days or more. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

SO I'm looking for a source for replacement springs. So far I've found that Wolff offers mag springs for xd 45. Springs for SPRINGFIELD XD 5 INCH Semi-Auto Pistols

My next question is this... will the mag spring for an xd 45 work in an xdm 45?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Check out pistolgear for magsprings

As far as you being dissapointed...I see no issue, they are replacing at no charge.

Go buy another mag @ your LGS as a spare you can never have too many

Yes the XD45 springs will work, its the same mag.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting... A tech from Wolff (Dave Koebensky <[email protected]>) said they won't work in my mags. Prompt response to email. WOW!

But I'm confused because the websites such as pistolgear that sell the XD mag state in the details that they will work in an XDm. Maybe the tech is mistaken?

The issue with Springfield Armory is that while they are inspecting and replacing, I've got a gun on the shelf for 2-3 weeks. It would be far more convenient for me if they simply put 3 or 6 springs in the mail and called it a day. These parts can't be more than $4.00 each in bulk.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I see your point, but every manufacturer has the right to inspect warranty claims.

I have 15 mags between my 2 XD's so I can afford to send 3 in.

It wouldn't hurt to have another mag especially if you carry, I keep 2 mags as carry mags, and they only get cycled 2 or 3 times a year.

I am surprised they wouldn't sell them, but it is what it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts