Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read another post that complained the slide "accidentally" closed and loaded a round when a follow-up mag was inserted. Well that happens to be exactly what I want to happen. Unfortunately the XD mags have been cut so as to not trip the slide release lug inside the weapon. WWHHHYYYY???? Is there an after-market magazine I can purchase that will trip the slide release? I cant be fumbling with a slide release button in combat. It should be: new mag in, rock and roll, and that's it.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Hmmm, mine has done that a couple times, but I chalk it up to being in need of a cleaning. Don't think I've ever seen/handled a pistol that's designed to do this all the time. Could be wrong though.

As for "not fumbling with a slide release in combat" you should practice grasping the slide over the top, pull back and release, rather than using the slide lock. It's a lot easier target for your whole hand than the mag release is with just your thumb. With a bit o practice you can smack in the mag, release the slide, and be back in it in no time.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
If you even slightly looked at how such things operate you'd see that inserting a mag won't do that. It's the FORCE of slapping the mag into the well that can make many pistols drop the slide. If this happens too easily a mouthpiece for the company will often claim it as a "feature" rather than a flaw.
If you can't drop a slide in some way or fashion by yourself then in my opinion you have no business operating a firearm at all.

Are you saying you plan on taking an XD into combat? What branch of the armed services are you pretending to belong too?
I hear the local Mall Ninja brigade is hiring again.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
If you even slightly looked at how such things operate you'd see that inserting a mag won't do that. It's the FORCE of slapping the mag into the well that can make many pistols drop the slide. If this happens too easily a mouthpiece for the company will often claim it as a "feature" rather than a flaw.
If you can't drop a slide in some way or fashion by yourself then in my opinion you have no business operating a firearm at all.

Are you saying you plan on taking an XD into combat? What branch of the armed services are you pretending to belong too?
I hear the local Mall Ninja brigade is hiring again.
Yea, pretty much.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
If that's really his/her concern, he/she needs to keep a rolling round count and conduct tactical reloads so that the slide, provided there are no malfunctions or downloaded magazines, never locks back.
In reality, if you think using the slide lock/release, or slingshot method takes too much time you should reconsider your intended use of the firearm. Professionally speaking, in a firefight there are usually too many things going on around you to keep a running round count and trying to will cause your mind to **** its pants when the slide locks back and your pistol doesn't fire when you want it to.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have a sig that does that well, I really like that it does that. Ive tried it on my xdm with no luck.:(
My step father is a retired police officer and he said that there shown in their training to slam the mag home and it automatically sends the slide into battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My GLOCK 19 did this to me one day at the range. I slammed a magazine in and the slide went into battery. I paused and thought maybe I had the elusive malfunctioning GLOCK, but then I chuckled and went back to shooting. I now had the jedi reload technique. I can't get it to do it all of the time and I certainly don't know the secret to it. It's nice when it happens but I've still trained myself to rack the slide after inserting the magazine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I own an M&P, which is why I asked. It makes all the sense in the world. Your video may help some of the cave-men see how a modern weapon works. The slide release lug in your M&P is a tab located in the mag well at the top and is engaged by the magazine as you slam it home. with practice you don't have to take the weapon off target to get back to work. On the XD there is also a slide release lug in the mag well, but the magazine has a long cut on the left side so that it will not engage the slide release. I'm not sure why this company has defeated this feature while the Smith and Wesson did not. All I really want to know is where to find a magazine without this extra cut on it.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
You make an excellent point. I would NOT take the XD into combat.
You're a mall ninja and need to come back down to Earth. I've been to combat, I used the slide release and will continue to do so. I was a combat marksmanship instructor and trained hundreds to do the same. To my knowledge not one of them was killed because they tried to use the slide release instead of some magical "the slide goes back into battery when I insert the magazine!" feature. It's proven, it works. If the lack of an automatic send-the-slide-into-battery feature is the main thing that keeps you from taking an XD into combat, I fear for those around you if you do go into combat because you are far more dangerous to them than the enemy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
From the M&P owners/safety manual:

• Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully, forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in,
the chamber of the barrel.

The manual doesn't say anything about slamming home the mag to chamber a round, therefore this is technically deemed a malfunction. Your firearm was not designed to perform the phenomenon you are describing.

Faster? If you say so... but what happens when the malfunction doesn't occur? The anticipation of the slide releasing, then the realization that it did not, then finally racking the slide, will be much slower than a natural tap-rack-bang.

Personally when I enter "combat" I don't want to be fumbling with an unpredictable method of chambering a round like that which is demonstrated by your M&P.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I own an M&P, which is why I asked. It makes all the sense in the world. Your video may help some of the cave-men see how a modern weapon works. The slide release lug in your M&P is a tab located in the mag well at the top and is engaged by the magazine as you slam it home. with practice you don't have to take the weapon off target to get back to work. On the XD there is also a slide release lug in the mag well, but the magazine has a long cut on the left side so that it will not engage the slide release. I'm not sure why this company has defeated this feature while the Smith and Wesson did not. All I really want to know is where to find a magazine without this extra cut on it.
If you slam anything hard enough, you can generate a kinetic effect.
FYI:
Kinetic energy is a great way to remove the extractor from an XD/XDm.
Field strip, hold slide sights down, and smack it a few times (with a soft faced hammer) on the surface that is closest to the frame, when the gun is assembled ... The extractor will pop right out.
All you're doing is slamming the magazine into the gun hard enough, that a kinetic energy transfer occurs, and as the gun goes up, the slide release stays where it was ... Thus causing it to disengage.

The M&P isn't designed this way, you're just beating the crap out of it, and causing it to disengage the slide-lock ;)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I've handled guns that let slide go when tapping mag, but don't think any guns are designed with a specific feature to do that. It is cool when it happens, I often think it is a sign of wearing in - the impact of tap jars the slide stop just enough to release the slide.

examples: my XD9 started doing it at about 4000 rounds, and does it almost always. My Browning Hi-Power does it frequently. My almost new Ruger SR1911 (bought 3 May) has just started to do it.

No matter what, for a tap rack, I do the tap, come up over slide with palm down for rack. If slide has already racked all on its own, great, onto next step. If not, rack and go. It does save me a split second in matches when happens, but I think it would be risky to train for expecting the "auto-rack", then have it not happen when most needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was wrong about one thing. The lug or tab on the slide release is there to engage when the magazine is empty. So a different mag isn't going to help me. This is bad news since the "accidental" release of the slide upon inserting a new mag is a huge advantage as I've stated.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts