Springfield XD Forum banner

Does your XD have trouble with the slide locking back when you shoot the gun empty?

• No - Never

• Yes - Rarely

• Yes - Occasionally

• Yes - Frequently

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an XD9 Tactical last summer, and I was very impressed with it. However, one thing popped up that turned me back to my CZ75. When I shot the gun empty, the slide wouldn't lock back with any certainty. I'd guess the slide would only lock back maybe one of every three times, and with no particular rhyme or reason for when it did or didn't. I was frustrated by this, 'cause it added uncertainty to speed reloading. (Was I going to have to rack the slide or could I just hit the release?) Instead of trying to diagnose the problem, I sold the gun (shame on me :( ).

Lately I've seen more and more comments on the various forums about the XDs, and no one ever mentions this happening. However, yesterday I was talking with a friend who owns an XD9 Tactical, and he said he is having the same problem I was, only worse. He was telling me the slide almost never locks back, and he's frustrated enough he was talking about selling the gun.

So, I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem, and what your solution was to fix it (if anything at all)? I'm interested in coming back the the XD9 (and XD40) Tactical for competition, but only if I can trust it to behave. Also, who's the go to guy for XD gunsmithing? I keep seeing "Rich at Canyon Creek" in some posts; is he the man to call for help?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine rarely, if ever, locks back after the last shot. It's NOT the fault of the weapon. It's my grip. Being a long time 1911 junky, my thumbs ride really high on the gun and since I have large hands, the tip of my thumb holds down the slide stop.
It concerned me until I figured out why it was happening. Change my grip, problem goes away.
This may not be the same thing that happened to you, just sharing my thoughts.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Brad all you have to do is watch your thumbs all it takes is a little bit of pressure from your grip to make it not lock back or lock too early.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Because I shoot a lot of IDPA, and like my slide to lock back dependably, I function test my mags to ensure reliability. I also make sure they feed reliability.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have had very rare occasion of the slide not locking back with an empty magazine. My XD-40 Service has never done it but my XD-40 Tactical did it a few times when I first got it. I traced it to two sources the first being my tactical has a slightly wider magazine well this allowed the magazine to move away from the post on the slide lock. The other problem was with the followers in some of my magazines. The 10 round AWB magazines have never given me a problem. They have a wider shelf on the followe to engage the slide lock post. There is no chance of these getting up past the slide lock post and failing to lock the slide open. There seems to be two different versions of the hi-cap followers. The newer version has an expanded shelf making it less likely to malfunction. I have posted several pictures in this thread on this issue: {http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20742&highlight=}

Personally I would like to see Springfield Armory offer the newer magazine followers for sale to refurbish older hi-cap magazines. I have notice wear on the corners of the shelf of the followers and I figure in time they might start causing problems. For now to ensure I don’t have a problem I have added a few layers of clear packing tape to the inside right side of the magazine well and on the magazines that look like they might cause a problem a little bit of tap on the front right side of the follower, this ensure that the follower is as far to the left as possible. Both modifications ensuring that the shelf on the magazine follower gets as far left as possible to get a positive engagement of the slide lock post. Since these slight changes I have never had a slide not lock open when it is suppose to and it has cause no other problems.

mcb

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it is not the thumb issue and instead a defective part issue , call springfield and send it back to them for a fix.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I have had/have premature slide lock problems

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Sometimes you just have to learn how to use a pistol correctly. Many have come here blaming the pistol just to find out it is their own gun handling skills causing the problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The easiest way to see if the problem is your grip is shoot the pistol with your left hand if you dont have any failures to lock back then you know the problem is your right hand grip. if you still have failures to lock back then you probably have a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first trip to the range with my brand new 9mm Tactical was one of great disappointment because of the same issue. My slide failed to lock back on almost every magazine that I emptied. Needless to say, I was not happy with my new purchase! However, I was shooting with a friend who suggested that the thumb on my right hand may be riding the slide lock. At his suggestion, I adjusted my grip so that my right thumb was farther away from the slide lock... and the problem "magically" disappeared. I don't know if this was your problem, but EVERY time that my slide fails to lock back after the last shot can be traced directly to my fat thumb still thinking that I am shooting a 1911. :oops: I would not hesitate to buy another XD...in fact, my girlfriend is considering buying a service model because she likes mine so much.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Did you every test fire it in a bench setup? Let someone else shoot it? I find, in many things, that when you eliminate the human, many problems go away.

...find sarah conner... :twisted:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I won't go so far as to say it couldn't possibly be my grip, but I'd give it about a 99% certainty that's not it. I don't have an XD on hand to check my grip position, but this morning I checked using a few other weapons (CZ75B, Kimber 1911, Beretta M9, Sig P225, Glock 19); no trouble. My shooting grip puts my weak hand thumb high and straight along the left side of the frame, which for some shooters can cause premature slide-lock by inadvertantly pushing up on the lever; I haven't had this problem with any of my guns. My strong hand thumb rests on top of my weak hand thumb between the 2nd and 3rd knuckles (on top of the first metacarpal), so given my test this morning I think it unlikely my thumb was depressing the lever on the XD (I'll have to shoot another XD to be sure).

D.R. Middlebrooks (a professional gunsmith, and retired National Champion shooter) shot my XD9 Tactical a few times last summer, and he had the same thing happen to him. The slide locked back once or twice, and didn't lock back once or twice. We didn't try to break down the problem, so there's no knowing if it was mechanical or shooter induced. However, I was up helping D.R. with a class last weekend, and one of the students was using an XD9 Tactical. I watched both the student and D.R. fire the gun (using the same grip I use), and never once did it have a failure of any kind.

I haven't seen my friend (with the XD9 Tactical) shoot, so I can only speculate if his problem is mechanical or shooter induced. He is more used to shooting the Beretta, but I don't think familiarity with the Beretta would cause malfunction with the XD. He's getting ready to leave for Iraq in the next few weeks, so I may not get to see him shoot (and I'd like to shoot his gun for comparison), but I'll try get him out on the range so we can do a quick test.

Thanks for all the replies,

Brad

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was sittin here thinkin about this problem....and I can't remember if it ever happened to me. It's been awhile since I shot last. I was wondering....if I put one round into a mag. and pulled back onto the slide...letting the round fly out....it would imitate a "last round" and the slide should stay open??
Just kinda wonderin how to check for this malfunction without havin to get my XD dirty! :oops:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FatMatt1981 said:
I was wondering....if I put one round into a mag. and pulled back onto the slide...letting the round fly out....it would imitate a "last round" and the slide should stay open??
That's a good try, but I don't think that would be an accurate simulation. Unless you can rack the slide with exactly the same level of force as created by recoil, then it wouldn't give the same result.

I'm going to try to get my hands on my friends XD this weekend and mess around on the range to see if I can identify the problem. I'll post results...

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NMshooter said:
...I was shooting with a friend who suggested that the thumb on my right hand may be riding the slide lock. At his suggestion, I adjusted my grip so that my right thumb was farther away from the slide lock... and the problem "magically" disappeared. I don't know if this was your problem, but EVERY time that my slide fails to lock back after the last shot can be traced directly to my fat thumb still thinking that I am shooting a 1911. :oops:
You got me :oops:

I finally fired my new ("pre-owned") XD9 Tactical the other day. Despite my prior protests, it appears likely I was letting my right thumb fall onto the slide lock, just as if I were firing my CZ 75 B SA, where my thumb rides the safety lever. During my testing, when I kept my right thumb along the slide/frame (like riding the safety), the slide wouldn't lock back. When I shifted my right thumb outward, the slide locked back perfectly fine.

This may cause me some trouble if I want to stay with the XD, 'cause I don't like the grip I have to use to avoid riding the slide lock. I'll have to experiment some more to see if I can find a compromise. Or, I may just have to live with the fact I will probably not get a reliable empty mag slide lock-back if I can't/won't change my grip.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For what model.. are we talking about.
the XD-40 cal seems to have this problem more than others.
but it may be that the caliber is very very popular. go back and search this forum . Do some homework and you will see what i am talking about.
But there are some good answers to go with those issues.from some very knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts