Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can recommend a company they've done business with that can mill the slide on my 9mm Tactical. Not looking for anything crazy, just trying to make it run a little faster at the range.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Do you KNOW this will "make the gun run faster"? If not, I'd use caution there. Changing anything (like slide weight) may alter the gun''s performance/reliability (not to your liking).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you KNOW this will "make the gun run faster"? If not, I'd use caution there. Changing anything (like slide weight) may alter the gun''s performance/reliability (not to your liking).
Valid point, I do not KNOW that it will run faster, but I ASSUMED with a matching load/spring it would lower recoil this making it faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just recieved my quote from them for some coating, but I was hoping someone would have had this done and be able to tell me what the results were and or and pros and cons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brother, I would be very hesitate to alter the mass of the slide. Making it run faster than it was designed for at very least make it not pick up the next round from the magazine and could cause damage to the frame as well as other parts. It is the same basic principle as running very hot ammo in a pistol that the barrel can handle it but the weapon is not made for it. It is a fine machine.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As long as you cover your bases you should be fine, there is a couple people here who have XD race guns.

Everyone saying not to are ones not realizing that you know you do need to change spring and load used .

Just double check yourself on ever step.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/genera...dm-4-5-custom-45acp-carry-build-finished.html

Theres a link to a thread where someone did a little work to a carry gun.

Also, have you thought about a trigger instead? A shorter take up and reset can make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like Rob2 alluded to, it's all about balance. The XDm 5.25 has a milled out slide because the weight of the slide might be too much for some very light loads that might be used in MINOR USPSA competition or something like that. I can assure you that with normal loads, even in 9mm, your Tactical model will cycle faster than you, or any other human, can press the trigger. If you are going for very light loads with reduced power recoil springs, you will also need to reduce the power of the striker spring as the slide recoil spring helps compress it and if it is too light the gun will not go into battery. So... if you have the gunsmithing skill and experience to start down this road, then ok, get the slide milled, but then the gun will NOT be usable in Production division in USPSA or in the several divisions of IDPA either. It will be only useful for Limited in USPSA or Open Division, for neither of which would it the best choice with the limited magazine capacity (Limited 10 maybe?) vs an XDm for instance. Range gun, ok. Competition... not so much unless something has changed in the rules that I missed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just about any machinist with a carbide cutter can mill the slide on an XD. The question is WHY would you want to? If you are shooting wimp loads and are worried about functioning lightening the slide may be a possibility, but... Then you have a big opening in the top of the gun for crud and such to fall into. In addition the little amout of advantage you might get from shooting a minimum load is somewhat off set by the extra wear on the gun whan shooting duty or max loads. I still shoot a regular xd tactical as I didn't want that gaping hole in the top of my gun, but I carry mine for serious social encounters and work in the tall and uncut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts