Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked with Deb at SA and asked her about sending my XD in when I get it to put a stronger finish on it to avoid the evil rust. This is the prices that she emailed me but what are the advantages of each one and how to they hold up to avoid rust. TIA
John Baker 8)

Finishes:

Armory Kote, all metal parts of pistol (Matte black or OD green).............................................. $ 90.00

Blast blue, all metal parts of pistol......................................................................................... $ 70.00

Black T, all metal parts of pistol (Matte black or OD green)...................................................... $145.00

Hard chrome, all metal parts of pistol.................................................................................... $145.00

Nickel Teflon, all metal parts of pistol.................................................................................... $175.00 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OUCH !!!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ok, I'll bite...

what's the diff on the std slide, armory kote, and black T?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd seriously doubt that SA does their finishing in-house. IIRC, they send a lot of their work to Accurate Plating and Weaponry (15 mins. from my residence), who did my Gen. 2 HS2000 and my OD Loaded 1911 ("factory" Armory Coat). APW charged me $145 for a complete refinish in matte hard chrome (all metal parts) and left the top of the slide matte hard chrome. They also intalled my provided night sights for that price. I wouldn't ship my pistol to SA for such a service unless SA was covering my shipping to and fro. I know they have covered return shipping on defective pistols in the past, but unless you're already complaining about rust, I 'm not sure they'd cover the shipping.

YMMV,

B9

·
Registered
176 Posts
"what's the diff on the std slide, armory kote, and black T?"

"Black T" is a proprietary teflon, 3-part finish developed by Walter Birdsong.

W.E. Birdsong & Co. does not license anyone esle to do their finish so SA must send their parts to them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Just sent my 9SC off to SA today for refinishing under warranty, they said it would take 2-4 weeks and they are useing Armory Kote I will post pics when I get it back I had to pay $8.00 to get it there

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that SA probably does not do their own work in house but I am wondering what are the advantages of each type of finish. Does anyone know? I am looking forward to seeing those pics falman308 when you get it back! :D :D :D

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I would love to send my slide off to be greened like the frame, but I don't know.

If the new green is as undurable as the original black, then I'll leave it alone and live with the holster wear.

-brickboy240

1 - 9 of 9 Posts