Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the actual color is on the XDm bitone slides? I know its SS but is that just the finish look of SS or does it have some color on it. Seems like it has some color but I do need my eyes checked, lol.

edit: Happy Father's day to all the dads.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
SS passivated (no color cast), if that makes sense.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SS passivated (no color cast), if that makes sense.
Thanks. I knew to color SS it needed to be done by chem or eltro but wasnt sure about the slide. I want to change the color on the slide stop and take down lever and get them the same color. I have them down to chrome now and I think I may have problems getting them to match the slide. Guess I'll see what I can figure out/find in paint.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Thanks. I knew to color SS it needed to be done by chem or eltro but wasnt sure about the slide. I want to change the color on the slide stop and take down lever and get them the same color. I have them down to chrome now and I think I may have problems getting them to match the slide. Guess I'll see what I can figure out/find in paint.

Thanks again.
Absolutely, you will !!!

You're kind of flirting with disaster, if you really want them to match a stainless slide.

OK,
Here's the deal,
Each is made of a different metal ... And because of this, there is no chemical treatment that will make them the same, due to dissimilar metals.

Now,
If you go after-market on the slide stop and take down lever, then you can have these items treated (passivization, it's a chemical surface film) and end up with a very close match ... If not after-market, forget trying to get a good match.

You'll get close for the first month, then the aging process will exceed your expectations.

Sorry,
But after-market, or it ain't gonna happen, long term.

Or,
Chrome the slide to match the other items ... In that case, both metals become base-metals for the plated metal, so their difference becomes a non-issue, as both can accept plating and have adequate adhesion of the plated material (chrome, it's an electro-chemical process).

Or,
Paint those, plus the slide ... I wouldn't, but that's me ... Do what makes you feel good :wink:
I've done stuff just because, so no reason you shouldn't !!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely, you will !!!

You're kind of flirting with disaster, if you really want them to match a stainless slide.

OK,
Here's the deal,
Each is made of a different metal ... And because of this, there is no chemical treatment that will make them the same, due to dissimilar metals.

Now,
If you go after-market on the slide stop and take down lever, then you can have these items treated (passivization, it's a chemical surface film) and end up with a very close match ... If not after-market, forget trying to get a good match.

You'll get close for the first month, then the aging process will exceed your expectations.

Sorry,
But after-market, or it ain't gonna happen, long term.

Or,
Chrome the slide to match the other items ... In that case, both metals become base-metals for the plated metal, so their difference becomes a non-issue, as both can accept plating and have adequate adhesion of the plated material (chrome, it's an electro-chemical process).

Or,
Paint those, plus the slide ... I wouldn't, but that's me ... Do what makes you feel good :wink:
I've done stuff just because, so no reason you shouldn't !!!
I figured I was up the creek. Slide has to stay the same. I got the bitone because I like the look of the slide. I'll look into all options I can. All else fails they go back to black so thats not bad just waisted time and I have a lot of time. I have my girl stripped down and waiting for some upgrade parts to come in so I figured I would mess with the catch and the take down.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts