Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and was curious what would be better and more cost effective. A ported slide and barrel or compensator and tungsten spring guide+spring upgrade? I have a XD9mm "5 tactical and not worried about the kick just need it for competition shooting and for the police when I graduate the academy.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Your police department will allow you to carry a compensated firearm on duty?

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
They both do the same thing, just in different ways.

Porting is permanent; compensators can be removed.

A compensator also puts more weight out in front to help keep the muzzle down in recoil.

If it is a gun that might be carried, get it ported. Finding carry holsters for guns with comps is a custom job.

FWIW, a local department's issue weapon is a Glock 23C.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Factory compensated is fine. I've just never heard of any agency or department allowing extensive aftermarket modifications on a duty gun.

Pistol Gear carries compensators for the XD line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They both do the same thing, just in different ways.

Porting is permanent; compensators can be removed.

A compensator also puts more weight out in front to help keep the muzzle down in recoil.

If it is a gun that might be carried, get it ported. Finding carry holsters for guns with comps is a custom job.

FWIW, a local department's issue weapon is a Glock 23C.
I know it's permanent and I'm assuming the gun would get much dirtier internally than before. I'm also worried about the extra weight on the front making the gun unbalanced, finding a carry holster would be a pain for a compensator so I think I'll just port it. thank you for your input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Factory compensated is fine. I've just never heard of any agency or department allowing extensive aftermarket modifications on a duty gun.

Pistol Gear carries compensators for the XD line.
They allow some modifications but this would lean more towards competitive shooting and if they don't issue out their own Pistol I would obviously use my XD45

1 - 7 of 7 Posts