Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was at my FFL today picking up a gun. I was looking at some of the guns they had there and came across a SKS Yugo. It looked just like this.

Had the bayonet and grenade launcher on it. They had it for $375.

What I was wondering was, are these any good? Fun to shoot? Collectable? Is this a good price?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Simonova's a good rifle. Predecessor to the AK, and fires the same 7.62x39. I don't know if they're still in production anywhere, but they're still in use. You can get 30 round mags, tacticool stocks, whatnot. There's a slot above the mag you slip a stripper in and reload instantly. Used to be able to buy them by the skidload for $90, but I suspect what you have there is not a bad price these days.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The Yugo SKS is an interesting rifle. A little bit long and unwieldy compared to other SKSs but fun to shoot. As much as I would balk at the prices of them these days, they are not being imported anymore and will do nothing but escalate in value.

Mine's in there with his Chinese, Russian and Romanian cousins...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a neat rifle, he has 4 of them there. I am going to have to try and get up there as soon as I can and see if I can get a deal on it.

I don't know why I decided to look at it. Think it was probably the muzzle brake. I will have to see if I can find out how old it is too.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
they are certainly cool guns. im happy to own a few. very comfortable to shoot(at least to me). i paid 330 for a un-issued one about 1.5 years ago. i paid more than i wanted since i hadnt seen them around in a while and thought they had dried up. its probably not all that bad of a deal.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I laugh because a year and a half ago the Yugo was the hated red head kid on the block. Great rifle but people just did not like them and they were going for around 150 to 200. If I was not hell bent on getting a Norinco sks M I would have had 2 yugo's a long time ago. Same goes for the Mosin M44, bought 2 a year and a half ago for 99 a piece and now if you could find one they are going for 2 to 3 hundred dollars :shock:. I say get what you can now, the prices are only going to go up !!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Nice SKS collection there, zipgun. One looks amazingly like a Mini-14, though! LOL

I have a Chinese military, Russian and Romanian SKSs and they are great shooters. The Yugos are good shooters, but the grenade launcher makes them a bit unwieldy.

The price seems high. I have seen Norinco Chinese SKSs for sale in that range.

I'd talk them down or keep looking for one without the grenade launcher.

The SKS is a VERY fun rifle to shoot...everyone should own one.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got it for $99 back in the day of cheap things, we cut the laucher off, took a step-up bit to the crown of the barrell, smoothed the rough edges of the stock and tried to jewel the bolt and cover, i think it turned out really nice, kind of looks like a m1 carbine.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have one. Bought it for $175 4-5 years ago.Two days ago I spotted one at Big 5 for a staggering $450. Heres how to tell what year you have.

Excellent reference, thanks. Any more gems you'd like to share? Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, where'd you find those?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Make sure you check out the bore since Yugo's were not chrome lined. If its good to go and youre happy then get it. I have a Paratrooper that I love!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Excellent reference, thanks. Any more gems you'd like to share? Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, where'd you find those?
No problem. I was researching my czech mauser one day then decided to look up the SKS. Theres alot of good info out there regarding serial numbers and dating of older weapons you just have to be patient and search around. Ill just go into google and type in sks serial number year, date, production ect.

Heres a ton of info just on mauser bayonets..

CZECHOSLOVAK Mauser Bayonets and Variations

Makes collecting fun when you know exactly when & where it came from :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have 2 Yugo sks and both shoot very good up to 400 yards -both came with extend mags but i had them converted bact to the built in 10 round magazine as the extend mags. jammed a lot of times-and i can stripper clip fast --just bought a case -1120 rnds.-online at-www.the-armory.com for only 255.00 shipping included-and they are all brass so reloading will be nice to do--ill use my steel rounds up first then its reloading time -oh yes the barrels are nice inside too -can't wait till tues. for ups to get here

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
--just bought a case -1120 rnds.-online at-www.the-armory.com for only 255.00 shipping included-and they are all brass so reloading will be nice to do--ill use my steel rounds up first then its reloading time -oh yes the barrels are nice inside too -can't wait till tues. for ups to get here
The type of primer used is more important than the case material when it comes to reloading. Is your brass berdan or boxer primed?
Is this what you got?
Yugoslavia (Igman arsenal) 7.62 x39 124 gr FMJ. Affordable 7.62 x39 ammo for your SKS, AK, AKM, AKS etc. This 7.62 x39 was produced in the Igman plant in Yugoslavia . It has a M67 FMJ projectile, Brass Case, is Berdan Primed and it is topped with a Copper jacketed bullet. Each box comes with four (4) stripper clips designed for the SKS rifle.
if so, no easy reloading of it.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
$370 for a Yugo SKS?

Yeeesh...I bought a half dozen of 'em a few years ago for $180, like new, shipped...

Maybe I should degunk a couple and take 'em along to the next gun show...

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
they have berdan primers and if i have to order special primers then i will buy 5,000 at a time
good luck finding them for sale in this continent.

it takes different (and more expensive) machinery too.

just buy more ammo, and don't let steel cases scare you.
My quick search for Berdan primers found them to be quite a bit more expensive than complete 7.62x39 ammo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts