Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you SKS guys. I got a few things here, not trying to make you angry. I sell a lot of these rifles, never shot one, never really wanted too. To me they seem cheap and boring. They come off as sh**, not saying they are, just what it looks like to me.

SKS lovers - Tell me what you love about this rifle besides ammo availability.

SKS haters - Tell me what you hate about this rifle. Quality???

This is a rifle I never bothered looking into and now I am interested to hear opinions on it. I hear many people at work either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well first, I guess on the mfg and who makes a crappy one. I love my sks and it is very fun to shoot, never FTF or FTE, wife and kids can shoot it all day long, ammo cost etc.. How could you not like it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've got both a Chinese/Norico and a Yugo. Never an issue with either. Reliable, affordable, ammo availability/cost, fun to shoot...I like 'em.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I tried to hate my first SKS because it was ugly and funky looking. But it never quit and is hell for stout.

I now own 4 SKSs and would never sell them. How can you hate a rifle that is reasonably accurate and as reliable as the sunrise? Low recoil and ammo is everywhere and all of it functions in every SKS I try. I have yet to find an ammo source that does not work in any of my SKSs.

They're the Glock of milsurp rifles...ugly but I doubt you can kill one! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
It's really just a matter of opinion. I like the way a well built Norinco or Russian SKS looks and shoots. More stable and smoother recoil the AK. Accuracy is better also, no downward barrel flex after each shot. Like I said, just a matter of opinion really.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Well first, I guess on the mfg and who makes a crappy one. I love my sks and it is very fun to shoot, never FTF or FTE, wife and kids can shoot it all day long, ammo cost etc.. How could you not like it?
Take that bipod off the barrel and mount it on the stock and watch your accuracy increase.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
I kinda have the same questions as the original poster. I mean, I love my AK. So why would someone choose an SKS over an AK?:confused: The AK is way cooler in my opinion and i love the history behind them (that's why I kept mine with stock furniture, kinda a flash back through Soviet history)

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
SKS accuracy makes it more of a carbine type rifle to me. Something similar to maybe a M1 Carbine IMO.

I wouldn't think twice about using it for deer or wild pig sized game.

It would be hard to compare it to any of my AKs other than the handling, it's pretty rugged.
To me, SKS = Carbine. AK = Straight up assault rifle.

SKS accuracy would surprise some people.

In my opinion its in the top 5 best bargains out there for what it is and does. There is no reason why you shouldn't own at least one good SKS.

The only cons I can see are the looks, a lot of people hate the looks and feel of them. I don't mind the looks unless it's one of the orange models :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I kinda have the same questions as the original poster. I mean, I love my AK. So why would someone choose an SKS over an AK?:confused: The AK is way cooler in my opinion and i love the history behind them (that's why I kept mine with stock furniture, kinda a flash back through Soviet history)

Because an SKS isn't an assualt rifle. For places that have those laws your not allowed to have a pistol grip and detachable box magazine. So the SKS is an AK for those who live is said states.

Personally. In light of everyone saying how great of an SHTF gun and how cheap ammo is, I might buy one. But I can't stand AK's or SKS's. I think they are so ugly. IMHO. I like the EBG's. I'll buy an SKS, soak it in CLP and buy 5k rds of ammo for like 5 bucks and be good to go for armegedon.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
ive got a yugo SKS in great shape. i still havent fired it but i love the thing. its really grown on me. i like the looks and you cant argue with the knife bayonette and rocket launcher. for the price i think i am going to buy another one. i might get another and mod it a little, nothing crazy, i dont want to do anything that isnt reversable. the yugo i have now is in way too good of shape to mod. its still dripping in cosmo so i havent shot it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
SKS "tacticooled-out" rifles destroy the looks for sure IMO. Especially the people that try putting a scope on the receiver :confused: Inaccurate but a powerful round. I'd definately get one if the dang prices werent so inflated!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Okay you SKS guys. I got a few things here, not trying to make you angry. I sell a lot of these rifles, never shot one, never really wanted too. To me they seem cheap and boring. They come off as sh**, not saying they are, just what it looks like to me.

SKS lovers - Tell me what you love about this rifle besides ammo availability.

SKS haters - Tell me what you hate about this rifle. Quality???

This is a rifle I never bothered looking into and now I am interested to hear opinions on it. I hear many people at work either love it or hate it.
i see you have a wasr, the WASRs i have seen are quite crude compared to my pre ban norinco, i forget the manufacture date, i think it was 1956 or something.

its finished quite nice, i bought it as a kid with paper route money, its never jammed, it was cheap, i got wood stock, folding ati stock, fiberglass jungle stock, cleaning kit sling for like $120 or so with some ammo. It was like 14 years ago.

I didnt have to do anything to it, it is just as accurate as any ak or 30-30 out to 100-150 yards.

I gotta ask you, i am in the market for an AK just cause my time to buy one might be up. But my question is what does an ak do for you an sks doesnt do? Are you betting your gonna need 30 rounds to smoke a whole cargo/troop transporter of Un storm troopers? Running around with 30 round clips like rambo or something ?

Me i am imagining myself behind sand bags or logs or some ****, and 5 rounds here, stripper clip, 5 rounds there, stripper clip, its all the same to me. Same end result.

I think if you have access to tons of the SKS you owe it to yourself to hold on to one for a few weeks and put some rounds through it. If you like guns period, or have a thing for milsurp, i dont see how folks cant like an sks. Sure doesnt have to be yoru favorite gun, but appreciate it for what it is.

i think the stripper clips arent a deal breaker. If i coulda got a factory made, 100 % reliable sks that took ak mags, versus an actual stamped AK, i woulda taken the sks. Especially if i was putting on an aftermarket pistol grip stock.

they are a compelling value even at $200 yugo prices, or $300 and up norincos.

you would have to offer me an obscene amount of money for my norinco for me to sell it. Obscene! and i still probably would just politely decline for nostaglia and just casue its a nice piece.

i think they get unfairly called ugly. I mean compared to what?

an ak is no beauty queen, what are the peers that you are comparing it to be regarded as so ugly?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

Lots of fun to shoot, very reliable and decent accuracy.
Ammo isn't as cheap as it once was, but still a fair bargain considering the price of everything is up! Most shooters want to "fix" them up, but I like them stock without any extras. Why mess with something that works?
XFrankD, what kind of answer were you expecting from SKS shooters and why have you never fired one? I'll admit I've sold off quite a few of these from my collection, but I still like them alot. Most definetly in my top 10 list of my favorite rifles of all time. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
They're OK rifles. I've got a Russian and a Norinco Paratrooper, and just got rid of a Yugo 59/66 (needed room in the safe, and, really, was never all that fond of it).

Their accuracy is nothing to shout about (at least all the ones I've dealt with), but they're pretty darn reliable.

Basically, they're the underfed, semi-auto cousin of the 91/30 or M44. A decent, cheap, surplus rifle.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woah woah woah BillBrasky! I never called them ugly, or tried to compare to anything! lol, Just asked your opinion, I see many people including you like the SKS. And for the record, I dont want to smoke any convoy lol.. I have had enough of combat and I hope to God I never have to see combat ever again.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
woah woah woah BillBrasky! I never called them ugly, or tried to compare to anything! lol, Just asked your opinion, I see many people including you like the SKS. And for the record, I dont want to smoke any convoy lol.. I have had enough of combat and I hope to God I never have to see combat ever again.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
i i realize not you but they do get called ugly, thats fine doesnt offend me, i didnt design the gun :p and i didnt buy it for its looks. I see them like a bulldog, or a jeep. Uglyness is endearing and utilitarian function over style for styles sake.

They are called ugly by lots of folks, that seems to be a common theme. Even the AK guys, which to me the ak is pure cheap utlitarian, and somehow many ak guys think the sks is uuuuuugleee. I just dont see it.

NOW THATS an ugly gun

could be easily remedied, but as it is highpoint carbines look like someone heated them up and bent it in the middle over their knee. That the highwater mark for ugly right there.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Looks like one of those Hi-Point things... as far as mounting the bi-pod on the fore grip, sounds like a good idea. Its currently accurate, but to close up the groups, I'll try it..

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Hey Frank just go fire off a few rounds in one and you will see why we like them so much.Very easy shooting and just a blast to shoot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts