Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the range shooting my XDSC and XD service.

Towards the end of the session, after about 200 rounds, I noticed that the skin was rubbing off of my thumb knuckle. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or if I'm doing something wrong.

BTW, it was the first time shooting my XDSC, which I bought about 2 months ago. All the rounds I fired went off and cycled through without a hitch.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Some people like to cut the back of the pistols frame where it rubs that thumb knuckle becuase of what you said. Some sand paper and you can take care of it your self.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the sc9 and after shooting in 3 days about 1800 rnd.
the thumb knuckle (furthest back) had a dent in it.
also my index finger middle knuckle had wore a real nice blister/cut there.

I bought some shooting gloves with 1/2 the finders cut out. Man that helps alot.

but yes it happens to me also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i get that cut on the thumb knuckle whenever i shoot my glock17. i found a cure for cheap. before i shoot it i stick a band-aid on my thumb knuckle and it doesnt cut me anymore. its cheap and it works. i keep a few in my glocks pistol case so i dont forget them when i head off to the range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
first time shooting my xd i had the same thing, wondered if I was the only one...second time I adjusted my grip some and it didn't come back...the band aid idea is good though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've never exerienced that with any of my XD's in over 10,000 rounds!

The XD's are designed not to rip your knuckles off while firing, you really need to adjust your grip instead of relying on gloves or a band aid.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to think that my grip is fine..Although my shot patterns do not support this. I thought that you wanted to hold the gun as high up on the grip as possible.

There's only so many ways to grip the gun with your strong hand.

The band aid idea sounds good though, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
jkswiss said:
I would like to think that my grip is fine..Although my shot patterns do not support this. I thought that you wanted to hold the gun as high up on the grip as possible.

grip and stance have nothing to do with accuracy, but everything to do with consitancy.

grip pressure, sight picture, and trigger control are the keys to accuracy.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
jkswiss, I don't do this very often, but you seem like a nice person, so I will do it once more. Send the guns to me (I will pay for shipping) and I will check them out and send them back to you as soon as I have a solution to your problem (May take awhile, because I am a perfectionist!).

:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I have seen this, it is usually because someone is not gripping the gun correctly because a) they don't know how, or b) their hands are too small for a proper grip.

With a correct firing grip the thumb knuckle should not be behind the backstrap of the gun. The backstrap should center on the fleshy part of the web between thumb and index finger. Shift your thumb farther forward. With this grip, you should still be able to press the trigger comfortably with the pad of your index finger (not the first joint).

If a proper grip results in your not being able to properly manipulate the trigger, the usual fix is to sell the gun and buy one that fits.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe, thanks for the offer retired. :) Don't hold your breath though!

Ken Mays: Man, I cannot bear the thought of selling my XD's!! The whole reason why I bought an XD was because of the smaller grip. Plus, this is my 100th post!! (Irrelavent, I know)

Heres a picture of the damage that my XD's did to me.

I don't think that my hands are too small for it... I mean I don't have midget hands or nething. Thats a picture of my usual grip.

I don't really know how to post pics so i hope it works.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to admit i have small hands...

That is the same place that mine gets me, but it never cuts just, rubs and pushes in on the thumb.

This only happens if i shoot for 2 or 3 days in a row for 7hrs a day. When I have went to training classes.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
XD-9Sub68 said:
You spend a weekend at TDI?

·
Registered
293 Posts
JKSWISS has the correct grip in the photo. I cannot see how the slide could make contact with your thumb knuckle if you kept your hand positioned like that.

If you have experienced this problem, CHANGE YOUR GRIP TO THE CORRECT POSITION, DO NOT RELY ON GLOVES OR BANDAIDS TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING!

It would also be a great idea to get some professional instruction from an NRA or Range instructor. It can't hurt :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
aiformula said:
XD-9Sub68 said:
You spend a weekend at TDI?
Yup last summer handgun 1 2 3
this May attended concealed carry class.

Hope to be at tactical shotgun july 16, 17th.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
did handgun 1-3 last october, probably going to repeat 3 in sept. w/ some friends who are going down for the 1-3 weekend. One of whom I am going to do partner tactics w/ next year.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not the slide thats rubbing on my hand I think. I think that its the black plastic part that abraises me when the gun kicks. BTW, it never cut me, it just rubbed me there till the skin got loose. I just peeled off the skin so thats why its scabbing over.

I mean its no big deal. I guess I could build up a callouse there. However, I sometimes do not go to the range for almost a month at a time so its hard to build up a callouse there.

However, it's good to hear that I have the right grip.

·
Registered
293 Posts
JKSWISS,
Are you sure there's not a small burr or mold mark on the frame right where you're getting rubbed?

One suggestion, bring your right thumb a tiny bit higher on the grip and try to keep it parallel to the slide, not pointing down.

Good Luck & Good Shootin' :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts