Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on a quality skeet over/under shotgun that won't break the bank. Was at the local gunshop and looked at a Browning Citori (spelling?) but the price tag at nearly $2k was way too steep. Salesman recommended a Mossberg Silver Reserve but I had never heard of it so I did a little bit of research and they seem to get very mixed reviews. Wondering whats out there that is a quality gun that will last but again, won't kill my wallet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What's your total budget for the shotgun, choke tubes, case, etc.? Obviously $2K is too much at this point.

One of the best O/U shotguns out right now for the budget-minded shooter is the Winchester Supreme and Winchester Select. They are extremely well-made shotguns, with excellent fit/finish. They have a lot of features that many of the high-end shotguns have including ported, back-bored barrels, a gold, adjustable trigger, Invector Plus choke tubes, truglo competition sights, and excellent silver-nitride receiver. I have fired hundreds of rounds through one and been extremely pleased with the results. Several guys at the club are now shooting these guns and have nothing but good things to say about them.

They are not cheap, but are several hundred bucks less than the $2K Citori you mentioned. They can be had for around $1,300 or so. Here is a link to a random auction for one on GunBroker. It isn't mine, etc., but just one I'll point you to for reference.

Winchester Select Energy Sporting FN Belgium 28in : Over Under at GunBroker.com

Good luck...

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I've been where you are. Still am for the most part. I want an O/U but don't want to spend an arm and leg. In short, this is what I've learned:

Cheap O/U's are crap. You "can" get lucky and get one that lasts a life time, but from everything I've read about all of the 'cheaper' brands and models are going to break or have any number of problems out of the box. I finally decided to scrap the idea of getting a cheaper OU and just save my pennies until I can afford a Ruger Red Label (these USED to be cheap) or a Citori.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Been shooting skeet for thirty years and you definately want an over under if you reload. Lots of ranges won't allow you to take time to pick up ejected shells.

I have two Ruger Red Labels and love both of them. A friend recently bought a Mossberg and had to return it as it didn't always fire. Another friend bought one made in Turkey and had the same problems.

For the money I think the Rugers are still the best bet. They have independant hammars so that if one shell is a dud, the other barrel will still fire. Lots of O/Us need the recoil to recock the single hammar.

Rugers are well made and well engineered. For instance if you fire one shell and open the gun, it will only eject the spent shell. If you go to a large dealer you can also find some really nice wood if they'll let you look at several.

I have a 20 guage that I have been shooting since 1978. I have had Ruger replace the springs once, but other than that I am still shooting it.

They are plain looking to be sure, but the quality makes up for it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Find a Used Winchester 101. They were great guns, parts are still available. Runs about 7-8 hundred for a nice one. Contact Shep at Gunrunner, he's usually has alot of them. He is a 101 fanatic.

GunRunner LLC

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm pretty confident when I tell people that the CZ Canvasback is the best O/U for less than $750. I did a lot of research before I bought and have done lots of reading and had lots of conversations since, and I still feel the same. The Woodcock is the upgraded Canvasback, and it's a great buy as well, for around $900.

·
Registered
892 Posts
While it is important to find a good quality gun, and I am sure that the recommendations here are all good quality, you need to find one that fits you properly.

I find that most of the Brownings fit me pretty well, and the Ruger Red Labels do not. I think that the Ruger has more drop in the stock.

I have a 20ga Browning Citori White Lightning that is my primary bird gun, and it just points very naturally for me.

I am not familiar with the CZ shotguns, but if I were in the market, I would certainly take a look. Also, can't go wrong with a Winchester 101, if it fits.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the help. I have picked up a few Citoris and they were all very nice, also a ruger red label which was nice, but I liked the feel of the Browning better. I will have to check out the Winchestor Energy and see how it feels. Never held a CZ either. I am heading to Cabelas next week to take a look at some o/u.

thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts