Springfield XD Forum banner

Skateboard Tape?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  FatMatt1981 
#1 ·
I read that many shooters apply skateboard tape to their gun. Is skateboard tape harmful to polymer frames?

If not harmful, what's the best method to remove the skateboard tape and its adhesive?

Thanks

#2 ·
I do it all the time. i have been buying the decal grips here. Have to change them from time to time as the "rough" wears off, I usually use some sort of mild detrergent to clean off the sticky before reapply, alittle dish soap, alittle windex, whatever is handy.

#3 ·
At the suggestion of another member of this forum, I recently bought an bike inner-tube and cut about a 2&1/2" piece off, washed it about 3 times with soap and water, flipped it inside out, and slipped it on my XD. It feels pretty good in my hand, and when it gets wet it feels stickier. I'll take some pictures sometime, maybe :)

#5 ·
Allsicles said:
At the suggestion of another member of this forum, I recently bought an bike inner-tube and cut about a 2&1/2" piece off, washed it about 3 times with soap and water, flipped it inside out, and slipped it on my XD. It feels pretty good in my hand, and when it gets wet it feels stickier. I'll take some pictures sometime, maybe :)
I'm just curious how this looks. If you can, snap a couple pics and post them at Image Shack if you don't have web space. It's totally free and super easy to use.

#7 ·
Allsicles said:
That is a pretty good idea! I guess I had better get off my butt and head back to Bi-Mart..

Raymond

#8 ·
blkhawk303 said:
Allsicles said:
I'm just curious how this looks..
I believe he was acting on my recommendation.

I don't have a camera, but I can tell you that the pseudo-stipling on the backstrap shows through. Once you have than thin tubing stretched to cover the grip (it can be tough to get on), it is pretty thin.

I found this to be a good solution on a CZ52 I had years ago on which a hogue just wouldn't stay put.

#9 ·
zukiphile said:
I believe he was acting on my recommendation.

I don't have a camera, but I can tell you that the pseudo-stipling on the backstrap shows through. Once you have than thin tubing stretched to cover the grip (it can be tough to get on), it is pretty thin.

I found this to be a good solution on a CZ52 I had years ago on which a hogue just wouldn't stay put.
Hmmmm, what kind of inner-tube would you recommend buying? One from a 10-Speed or something?

#10 ·
blkhawk303 said:
Hmmmm, what kind of inner-tube would you recommend buying? One from a 10-Speed or something?
That's what I bought. I think it was 1 and 3/4 inches diameter for a 26" wheel. Not unlike a condom, it gets easier to work with once it gets stretched out.

A bike shop might give you some for free. That's how I obtained my prior supply. Having mislaid the old ones though, it was easier just to buy a new one.

#12 ·
i have used that skateboard tape on stuff
i first bought the decal grip from pistol-gear....
you can get feet of the stuff fairly cheap at hardware stores, or truck stops
the stuff is easy to apply, just cut and stick
it is time consuming somewhat, but that's part of the fun
i took some pics, but will post later

#14 ·
RDKII said:
I usually use some sort of mild detrergent to clean off the sticky before reapply, alittle dish soap, alittle windex, whatever is handy.
Goo Gone also works well to remove the sticky bits. Lemon oil is a cheaper alternative but works just as well.

#19 ·
Let me add my own DUDE & WOW that's big but also cool. 8)

If you're new to resizing and posting pictures check this out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

It's a image/picture resizing tool that is way easy to unstall and use. Once you install it you just right-click on the file (picture) where ever it's saved and choose Resize Picture. It gives you 4 size defaults to choose from that will work 99% of the time. You just choose the size you want and it creates a new copy of the picture.

May only work on Windows XP but not sure.

#21 ·
i've had several ooo's and ahhh's at the range...and that one time i got pulled over...."got any weapons in your vehicle?".....OOOH :wink:
it took a great while to cut and fit them little pieces of tape stuff.....i think i did perty good
it's prolly one of a kind now 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.